Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1669016 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #6015 on: November 01, 2015, 04:29:05 pm »
*munches popcorn*

Ironbite-wonder if someone will point out something about UP's good friend Milo.

It's hard talking about Milo Yiannopoulos without mentioning [the thing that Sigma won't let us talk about except in a thread where any activity is seen as a sign of endorsement of the movement, and consequently we hope it stays dead].

He writes for Breitbart and he thinks female brains don't have an aptitude for science. That should say it all, really.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6016 on: November 01, 2015, 04:34:03 pm »

I don't.... wholly disagree with this one, but considering who Milo actually is, this is definitely Worst.

Gonna disagree with you on this.  Milo's kind of an asshole, true, but at least he's honest and competent.  Which is more than I can say about a lot of other journalists...

A journalist for Breitbart.  He can be kind of a douche sometimes, but at least he does his job properly.

Seriously? Milo is egomaniacal narcissist and neoreactionary misogynist who has only does what he does because he hates "the Left." That's typical for Breitbart, of course.

The "egomaniacal narcissist" bit I get, but "neoreactionary misogynist" just seems like ad hominem.

*munches popcorn*

Ironbite-wonder if someone will point out something about UP's good friend Milo.

It's hard talking about Milo Yiannopoulos without mentioning [the thing that Sigma won't let us talk about except in a thread where any activity is seen as a sign of endorsement of the movement, and consequently we hope it stays dead].

He writes for Breitbart and he thinks female brains don't have an aptitude for science. That should say it all, really.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #6017 on: November 01, 2015, 11:35:30 pm »
Welp, here we go again.  Everybody take a drink!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #6018 on: November 02, 2015, 01:13:44 am »
*munches popcorn*

Don't forget about his attack on Black Lives Matter activist Shaun King.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/20/1413881/-Race-love-hate-and-me-A-distinctly-American-story

Or his pearl-clutching over Thor being female in one of the new comics. (A Salon article from February has the details, I can't link to it because the title has a reference to the above mentioned thing that we're not allowed to talk about)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #6019 on: November 02, 2015, 02:24:40 am »
Milo is one of the most pathetic people alive.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6020 on: November 02, 2015, 08:47:22 am »
*munches popcorn*

Don't forget about his attack on Black Lives Matter activist Shaun King.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/20/1413881/-Race-love-hate-and-me-A-distinctly-American-story

Yeah, pardon me if I'm skeptical of a website that literally tells men to "STFU":

https://archive.is/zAbnn

Or his pearl-clutching over Thor being female in one of the new comics. (A Salon article from February has the details, I can't link to it because the title has a reference to the above mentioned thing that we're not allowed to talk about)

Well, according to my brother, the way she was written was just idiotic pandering.  And honestly?  I think there was legitimate grounds to be upset.  If you want to diversify comics, fine.  But introduce new characters, don't just change established ones.

Lest you think I'm just defending the status quo, let me just say that there are practical reasons to do so.  I'm not really a comic fan, at least not the type of comics that usually come to mind when somebody says "comic book", but even I know that there are constant retcons and reboots.  Really, introducing all-new superheroes makes diversity more secure.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:54:33 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6021 on: November 02, 2015, 09:38:54 am »
Keep diversity secure, never give out your public key!

I'll see myself out...  >.>
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6022 on: November 02, 2015, 11:28:28 am »
why oh why did i click ultie's link? the comments are more rabid than the next.

also, the rant included is exactly the reason why i have a problem with tone. the ideas in it are all sound, except for the first one that shuts down dialogue (big no-no). the tone however is pure ammo for misogynists and mra's. as if women didn't have enough problems, the op has to be overly antagonistic. that means that someone will see "dear men, stfu", pull a tl;dr and rage against rabid radfems feminists women in general.

that's not how dialogue works. those are great ideas that could expand the dialogue and get shit done (once again, except the first idea). instead, it will (and has, judging by the comments) boil down to name calling. getting nowhere. again.

cue me getting called out (again) for criticizing tone. we're working with written media. leave the anger behind the keyboard. ideas exposed in a calm and collected manner go farther, and if writing is not the tool of choice for choosing the right words, i don't know what is. leave the fire and brimstone to the preachers, but write down the ideas in the most efficient way, please.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Even Then

« Reply #6023 on: November 02, 2015, 12:27:03 pm »
Quote from: UP

"safe spaces"

like how much of a shitty cartoon villain do you have to be to be against the concept of safe spaces

The problem is that these days, "safe space" is synonymous with an echo chamber where nobody is allowed to voice a dissenting opinion, especially if it contradicts a woman or a minority.

Yeah, how dare people not want to dignify racism, misogyny and other dehumanizing with a platform.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6024 on: November 02, 2015, 12:31:03 pm »
Quote from: UP

"safe spaces"

like how much of a shitty cartoon villain do you have to be to be against the concept of safe spaces

The problem is that these days, "safe space" is synonymous with an echo chamber where nobody is allowed to voice a dissenting opinion, especially if it contradicts a woman or a minority.

Yeah, how dare people not want to dignify racism, misogyny and other dehumanizing with a platform.

There are two major things wrong with that:

1.  Their definition of "bigotry" is absurdly broad.

2.  Trying to "no platform" hate speech just makes it seem like the bigots have a point.

Even Then

« Reply #6025 on: November 02, 2015, 12:45:36 pm »
2.  Trying to "no platform" hate speech just makes it seem like the bigots have a point.

...no. If people don't want the Klan speaking at their assemblies, that doesn't mean the Klan's message magically starts being anything other than festering shit. Things don't work that way.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6026 on: November 02, 2015, 02:55:19 pm »
Clicking on Ultie's link, I only have one thing to ask: when did the supposed number of women who will be raped in their lifetime go up to 1 in 3?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6027 on: November 02, 2015, 03:01:32 pm »
Clicking on Ultie's link, I only have one thing to ask: when did the supposed number of women who will be raped in their lifetime go up to 1 in 3?

I have no idea.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6028 on: November 02, 2015, 03:03:38 pm »
I still can't open any of Ultimate Paragons links. What is that "Archive" thingy supposed to be?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6029 on: November 02, 2015, 03:24:07 pm »
I still can't open any of Ultimate Paragons links. What is that "Archive" thingy supposed to be?

Just take a look at this shit:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151102202120/http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/05/30/1303118/-Dear-Men-STFU