Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1670088 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #6120 on: December 03, 2015, 02:49:49 pm »
Ah, so the cartoonist is complaining about tax funded things and how they aren't free? I though it was a complaint about women having access to contraceptives. (Because if women can have sex without fear of getting pregnant the society will crumble. Meanwhile there is nothing wrong with condoms and men having non-committal sex.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6121 on: December 03, 2015, 02:59:49 pm »

Is a flat tax a good thing or not?

A flat tax is a very bad thing. It assumes that having everyone pay the same percentage of their income is "fair" while ignoring the simple fact that the poor, like myself, spend a far higher percentage of their income on basic needs than the rich do.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6122 on: December 03, 2015, 04:38:08 pm »
Is a flat tax a good thing or not?

A flat tax is a very bad thing. It assumes that having everyone pay the same percentage of their income is "fair" while ignoring the simple fact that the poor, like myself, spend a far higher percentage of their income on basic needs than the rich do.

It also ignores the fact that the wealthy elite depend far more on a stable, well-functioning society than poor people do, and stand to lose far more without police, courts, and legislators aligned with their interests.

The fact that they simultaneously don't want to pay for all that is ridiculously short-sighted.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
« Reply #6123 on: December 03, 2015, 08:18:02 pm »
Given how cheap Denny's is, I'll gladly pay the extra .50 if it means their staff can get health insurance.  Hell, make it a whole dollar if it covers education and maybe some infrastructure while we're at it.  As for flat taxes, they seem nice in theory as everyone has something at stake, but in reality, they are a massive tax cut for the wealthy and a massive tax raise for the poor.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:25:43 pm by SkyTrekTower »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #6124 on: December 13, 2015, 01:14:34 pm »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6125 on: December 13, 2015, 01:29:01 pm »

Even Then

« Reply #6126 on: December 20, 2015, 12:42:23 am »
I don't think I've seen a single feminist earnestly espouse the notion that regretting sex means you were raped.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6127 on: December 20, 2015, 09:18:33 am »
I don't think I've seen a single feminist earnestly espouse the notion that regretting sex means you were raped.

if you look far enough back in the "worst" thread, you might see an example or two. keep in mind it's one of those radfem gurus that said it. i believe the quote went "even if the sex is consensual, it's still rape".
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #6128 on: December 20, 2015, 02:17:08 pm »

if you look far enough back in the "worst" thread, you might see an example or two. keep in mind it's one of those radfem gurus that said it. i believe the quote went "even if the sex is consensual, it's still rape".

Any P.I.V. is rape because patriarchy or something like that. Rhetoric so far off the deep end it's more amusing than anything else.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6129 on: December 20, 2015, 02:26:02 pm »
Has he looked at you for longer than 10 seconds? Eye-Rape.

Has he touched you with his foot? Toe-rape.

DID HE HOLD YOUR HAND? HAND RAPE!

Seriously, the way those gurus trivialize words...
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6130 on: December 20, 2015, 02:34:28 pm »

There are extremes. There's people who say all PIV sex within the patriarchy is rape. There's people who literally say that rape is about how you feel afterwards and not about consent. There's a related but not so stupid position that says that sex can feel like a violation even if you technically consented (dubious consent, implicit societal pressures, etc. are real things) and rape is a useful mental frame for it, but not an accusation you can put before a court.

If someone did consent to sex and then regret it they have every right to be upset about it? And to want emotional support? This should not be controversial. Whether they can blame the other party is a ridiculously complicated question depending heavily on circumstances, but the comic didn't even bother to do that, they just mocked the idea of someone going through a painful experience because somehow if you could have prevented something that makes the pain not valid or some shit. It's not even a good strawman.

As usual, shit is complicated and feminism contains multitudes.
Σא

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6131 on: December 20, 2015, 05:03:43 pm »
There is the belief that Heterosexuality is somehow inherently oppressive towards women and any woman that is in a heterosexual relationship is being raped. Even if she doesn't think that (she is just mistaken.) Even if her boyfriend/husband considers himself to be a feminist and is not oppressing or dominating her in any way it still counts as rape and possibly slavery. Or so something like that.

I was actually meaning to reply to this sooner because I read an interview that was relevant to the topic but lost the page and it took a while to find it again:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150912231029/http://www.radfemcollective.org/news/2015/9/7/an-interview-with-julie-bindel

We used to talk about sexual politics, rather than sexual practice. But what the libertarians did when they borrowed US gay male culture was they focused obsessively on sexual practice, and they eroticised inequality, subordination, pain and dominance. We used to talk about: “why are women heterosexual?” And “what is lesbianism?” – because we didn’t like the definition it was given by the non-feminists that it was just about sex, that it was just something you were, that it was something you couldn’t help being, that it was something you were programmed to be and that it was less desirable than being straight.

So radical feminism saw heterosexuality under patriarchy as massively problematic, because it benefited men and it disadvantaged women. It meant that the family structure was one that had the man at the Head of the household – even if he wasn’t a dinosaur, even if he thought of himself as quite progressive. It meant that he did things to her, sexually. It meant that she would joke with her friends as early writers like Marilyn French outlined, that she would often put up and shut up, and let him get on with stuff. It meant that she wasn’t really wanting or enjoying, so that he would buy her a new washing machine if they were middle class, or if they were working class, so that he would give her his wages at the end of the week.

Slightly off the topic of what radfems think is rape, but more on their ideology. Things like being pro-trans are seen as "anti-women..."
Because lets face it, we know we are right – we are learning all the time, and we change our minds on all kinds of strategic issue, but radical feminism is common sense. On the one hand you have got utter idiots like Laurie Penny who are simply coming out with the stuff that she does because she knows that the groups she is supporting, that are pro-trans, pro-sex work, and pro- other anti-women nonsense, are run by very high profile, powerful libertarian men. We know that she is doing it for a career move. But the vast majority of women that spout that kind of nonsense are doing so because they are scared of the feminism that means they have to name men as the problem, because they know the punishment they will get if they do.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #6132 on: December 20, 2015, 05:49:38 pm »
I'm suprised no one here is talking about the fact the cartoonist doesn't think a sober person having sex with a drunk person is rape.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6133 on: December 20, 2015, 06:16:49 pm »
I'm suprised no one here is talking about the fact the cartoonist doesn't think a sober person having sex with a drunk person is rape.

Is there anything to say? Judging by the handle "AntiFemComics", the cartoonist is obviously an anti-feminist.

I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks Beale and Roosh are paragons of virtue.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #6134 on: December 20, 2015, 06:36:52 pm »

It's kind of like how you don't bother spending much time talking about how someone thought the world was flat, only the flat-earthers wrongness is amusing and harmless.