Author Topic: Windows 8.1 leaked, underwhelming, more for tablets, no start menu.  (Read 3437 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:08:02 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
Re: Windows 8.1 leaked, underwhelming, more for tablets, no start menu.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 06:25:53 pm »
Oh my gawd...people can't survive without a start menu.... ;D
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 07:02:49 pm »
I always moan whenever something like this is changed, but after I while I just get used to it and it's not a problem.

They main thing that annoys me about this is that it is going to be a nightmare trying to re-teach my Dad how to use it...

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 07:09:39 pm »
Working tech support teaches you that perhaps this is a better idea than having a start menu...

I don't like change myself but eventually I adapt. Everyone else can, too.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 08:31:21 pm »
I honest to goodness hate Windows 8 more after having actually used it than hearing the hype about it.

I don't know what's supposed to be intuitive about it considering that it took me several hours to find the fucking Control Panel.

It's like installing the spark plugs behind the engine.  It's a dick move that makes it hard for people to maintain their shit.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 11:38:51 pm »
Oh my gawd...people can't survive without a start menu.... ;D
Ask the developers behind Start8 about that.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 08:51:25 pm »
I've actually seen it when I was visiting my mom in the continuing care center (she's still there) and her roommate had a computer with Windows 8 on it. I like the concept but I hate that they changed too drastically. MS should have made a "transitory" form of OS that kind of links the old with the new.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 10:14:59 pm »
When I got my new desktop around for Christmas last year I was hoping I could still get it with Windows 7 on it, but I couldn't. It has Windows 8, and the lack of the old start menu drives me insane. I end up clicking the internet icon that's in it's location out of reflex quite often. I also dislike the home screen or whatever it's called. I don't use the thing, and I don't know why on earth it's even there. If they kept Windows 8 to tablets it would probably be fine, but using it for regular computers feels so weird. I don't for the life of me know why a desktop or laptop needs apps.

When I first got the thing finding stuff was such a bitch, including control panel as Magus said. On an unrelated note, being that I literally live in a car shop I've worked on a few cars before, and there are quite a few that are put together in such a way that you have to remove things in order to get to other thing, and other times it things can be accessed if you twist your hand in a weird way. I have to wonder what on earth the designers were thinking when they designed some of this shit.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 10:37:41 pm »
If and when it comes time to upgrade my PC, and I can't buy Windows 7 legit, I'm pirating it. There's no way I'm using an OS that's optimised for tablets on my PC.
I've actually seen it when I was visiting my mom in the continuing care center (she's still there) and her roommate had a computer with Windows 8 on it. I like the concept but I hate that they changed too drastically. MS should have made a "transitory" form of OS that kind of links the old with the new.
A tad off topic, but I don't suppose you could tone down your sig a tad? As it is now, it fills up my entire screen and completely dwarfs your actual posts.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:40:06 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 12:44:59 am »
Yeah, I'm sticking with Windows 7 on my laptop.  Tablets and smartphones have their OS built differently for a reason.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 01:14:53 am »
If and when it comes time to upgrade my PC, and I can't buy Windows 7 legit, I'm pirating it. There's no way I'm using an OS that's optimised for tablets on my PC.
A tad off topic, but I don't suppose you could tone down your sig a tad? As it is now, it fills up my entire screen and completely dwarfs your actual posts.

Yeah I fixed it, thought the second was too big so I resized it anyways.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 03:58:30 am »

Yeah I fixed it, thought the second was too big so I resized it anyways.

I don't mean to be an asshole here, but it's still a tad too big. The rules say 600x300 is the limit, and still completely fills my 1366x768 screen, so... Yeah.

Sorry about that. I don't mean to be a backseat mod or anything, it just makes scrolling a bit of a hassle is all.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 01:20:35 pm »
Well everything's going touch screen anyways so ytoiu best get used to how Windows operates.

Ironbite-yeah that sounded as bad as I thought.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 07:26:04 pm »
I think I'm getting looking for two licenses and a copy of Windows 7.  Tomorrow. 

EDIT:  It appears that it will still be available from vendors until October 2014.   I guess tomorrow doesn't have to mean tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:34:24 pm by Rime »
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 08:33:28 pm »
The rule of Windows is that the odd ones are great(XP, 7), and the even ones suck hard(Vista, 8). We just gotta wait a couple years for 9. I might have to get a new laptop soon before this one blows up, gonna make sure to get 7 on it. I tolerate 8 on my desktop since I mostly play games on it and thus don't deal with the OS too much, but is I'm gonna do anything that else, I'd really rather have 7. Has Microsoft acknowledged people's dislike of 8? They've also pulled shit like 8 on the Xbox's home screen, and I dislike it more with every time they redo it. I liked the way the 360's home screen was originally, I didn't mind the first major change after a little while, but the more frequent changes recently drive me crazy because shit gets rearranged. The good thing is that being a game system, I don't have to deal with the home screen after I put the disc in. I get that they want to incorporate things like netflix and a web browser in( the latter of which would be clunky at best), but adding all kinds other apps is pushing it.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov