Author Topic: Wireless electric car charging stations disguised as manholes  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Wireless electric car charging stations disguised as manholes
« on: October 23, 2013, 07:03:04 pm »
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/10/hevo-power-manholes/

Imagine an electric Pepsi delivery truck in Manhattan. It makes dozens of stops at the same locations, day in and day out. Now what if at each stop — or every other stop — it could wirelessly top up its battery pack as the driver drops off another case of sugar water. That’s what Hevo Power is aiming to do with a new wireless charging system that blends into its surroundings by aping a manhole.

Hevo’s system comes in three parts: a power station that can either be bolted to the street or embedded in the pavement, a vehicle receiver that’s connected to the battery, and a smartphone app that lets drivers line up their vehicle with the station and keep tabs on charging.

In its current form, Hevo’s system is classed as a Level 2 charging station, with 220-volts and up to 10 kilowatts of energy being transmitted from the pad to the vehicle. McCool says the system can put out more than 10 kW, depending on the application. But for now, Hevo is focusing on Neighborhood Electric Vehicles with small footprints, low speeds, and minimal battery capacity — something that’s perfect for inner-city delivery vehicles.

In addition to the NYU program and working with E-Ride, Hevo is in talks with PepsiCo, Walgreens, and City Harvest to discuss the possibility of rolling out the system for a larger fleet of vehicles.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Re: Wireless electric car charging stations disguised as manholes
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:41:36 pm »
I wonder if, in the nearish future, commercial parking lots will start puting these in their parking spaces, to encourage people with electric cars to shop there.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 09:30:36 pm »
That's an equally elegant solution as the induction chargers at route stops, John!

I found this link to another article about induction chargers at the bottom of this article. Similar systems have been installed in several places around the world for city buses.
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/08/induction-charged-buses/
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 05:43:56 am »
Interesting. They could even reduce battery weight and thus carry more cargo in a smaller truck if the truck always goes on short delivery routes. Or at least reduce downtime.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!