Author Topic: Natural Selection in Progress  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Natural Selection in Progress
« on: August 30, 2013, 02:36:03 pm »
Maybe this could be a catchall thread for examples of (serious) natural selection taking place in the natural world?

I was inspired to make this thread when I read the news that some rattlesnakes are evolving to not have rattles because they make them a target to humans.

There are few things more chilling than the sound of a nearby rattlesnake. That distinctive sound serves as a warning that trouble could be on the way. The only thing worse than hearing a rattlesnake within striking distance — is not hearing it at all. A herpetologist in South Dakota's Black Hills has discovered a growing number of Prairie Rattlesnakes with atrophied tail muscles; he believes it's a genetic issue that multiplies because those snakes that can rattle usually end up being killed. But others think the situation could be an evolutionary development to avoid detection.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Natural Selection in Progress
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 02:43:01 pm »
Could very well be.  Most of the people who get bitten by Pigmy rattlers don't hear the warning because it doesn't sound like a larger rattler like a Timber or Diamondback.  It's more like a buzz.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:15:54 pm »
People who kill snakes just for being nearby piss me off.

Snakes generally don't hunt down people to attack them, they generally attack because they feel threatened by the giant colossi that are called "human beings".  Safest thing you can do when a rattler is around is walk away from it.

Of course that's probably the stuff I learned from Steve Irwin talking.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 03:57:52 pm »
Well... Steve was right. 

I would react the same way if I had something akin to an Eldrich horror that I can't even see all of (snakes are very nearsighted) standing over me.

No snake is really 'out to get you'.  I wish more folks would realise that.

I got pissed at one of our neighbors for killing a black rat snake.  They wanted me to come over to get the snake and I was more than willing to do that.  Then when I get there, I find that the neighbors' boy already shot the snake's head off.   

They found out in no uncertain terms that I wasn't pleased with such a decision. 

It was a beautiful snake.  Would have been moreso if it'd had a head...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:00:47 am by SpaceProg »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 05:01:02 pm »

This is why fear and ignorance are, to me, the two greatest problems with humanity as a whole.  Ignorance begets fear.  Fear begets hate.  And hate begets "sin".
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 05:40:13 pm »
From watching them, I feel that snakes are several orders of intelligence above small lizards. I have a pet door panel installed next to a sliding glass door. That leaves a gap, which is remedied by gluing a squeegee-like vinyl strip to the slider frame to block air drafts (and insects). It still leaves a very narrow slit open to the backyard at top and bottom. Frogs and lizards regularly find their way inside....and cannot for the life of them figure out where to go to leave. One morning (I love all herps, mind you), a four foot long Black Coach Whip that is a regular visitor in the yard was inside my house, ten feet from that slider door, half raised up, turning her head side to side, tongue flicking/smelling. I had just stepped into the kitchen, then she noticed me, turned about gracefully and with dignity went straight to the tiny gap and back out side. She did not bang against the glass in panic and cluelessness. She just left exactly as she came in, with no hesitation or confusion.
In other words, she exhibited advanced spatial orientation memory, and possibly experience memory that glass is a barrier.
Smart animal!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 06:42:02 pm »
I'm geeking out about the experience you just described.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 07:31:16 pm »
Found a tumblr showing the supposed 'degrees of evilness' in http://hopefulkiwi.tumblr.com/post/59736197055/priest-of-rage-bedquest-dear-fucking-tumblr.

Anyone who knows about velvet ants is probably laughing their asses off; they're infamous for their powerful sting, and that squeak is their last warning before they do it (they are non-aggressive and would rather run away, but that doesn't mean they won't).

Sadly this attitude gets a lot of beautiful Giant Ichneumon Wasps (which can't even sting humans) killed.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 08:12:46 pm »
i read "the degrees of evilness" and thought "is that the scale that ends in kilonazis?"

... the internet is bad for me...
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 10:04:21 pm »
Velvet Ants are fascinating.  They're actually a fuzzy female wasp.  They have a hella painful sting which gives them their nickname "Cow Killer"  as it's fabled that their sting can knock a cow down.  I've never felt the need to get one to scream or sting me, actually... I just leave them alone. Hehe.

I have more trouble with Short-Tailed Ichneumons ( I like that word) getting in the house and stinging than I ever have with the giant ones.  There are some bugs that just 'look scary' and for that they're killed.  Of course, the definition of scary can really vary depending on the person.  I think Fiery Searchers are beautiful, but a person I worked with was scared shitless of one that got in the office.

EDIT: Added wiki link.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:02:40 am by SpaceProg »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 10:05:58 pm »
Butterflies and moths freak me out when they get too close.

I... I don't know why.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 10:11:00 pm »
Some people are just afraid of some things.  No rationality behind them. Could be some deep seated connection their brain subconsciously makes.   Just ...phobias.  *Shrugs*
Fear from ignorance is what irks me.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 08:47:04 am »
It's like me and spiders. I don't give a fuck that Daddy Long Legs are harmless. They have eight legs, and therefore, to them, I'm a motherfucking Dalek. Arachnophobia is not fun. That said, the link above is glitched, so Chrome gave me the best error ever:

Oops! Google Chrome could not find bees and wasps

Well, good!
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 10:00:43 am »
So long as I know they're not dangerous and they stay well away from me, I've no problems with spiders.  Hell, they're downright helpful.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 10:05:55 am »
So long as I know they're not dangerous and they stay well away from me, I've no problems with spiders.  Hell, they're downright helpful.
Yeah, if they're up in the corner of a room, I don't care. I'm too lazy to kill those ones. Any on objects or the floor are doomed.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.