Author Topic: The Trial of George Zimmerman  (Read 65642 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: The Trial of George Zimmerman
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2013, 05:38:03 pm »
Is there anywhere good to keep up to date on this? A lot of conflicting information floating around.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2013, 05:39:37 pm »
Is there anywhere good to keep up to date on this? A lot of conflicting information floating around.

The first link I get when I check my email is this. It also includes transcripts from Zimmerman's initial interrogation.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2013, 07:08:52 pm »
*kicks topic back to page 1*

Ironbite-still got a loooooooooooong way to go with this folks.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2013, 08:36:55 pm »
The new law only requires law enforcement and the justice system to ask three questions in self-defense cases: Did the defendant have the right to be there? Was he engaged in a lawful activity? Could he reasonably have been in fear of death or great bodily harm?

Without convincing evidence to the contrary, "stand your ground'' protection prevails."

Please reread what you quoted, especially the part about "fear of death or great bodily harm." That is what I have been saying.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2013, 09:38:22 am »
Please reread what you quoted, especially the part about "fear of death or great bodily harm." That is what I have been saying.

So Zimmerman can claim self defense?  It seems like before you were saying he can't
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2013, 11:44:51 am »
So apparently this happened.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2013, 11:56:27 am »
Gotta love how an easy to use app like Skype is over their heads. Toggle full screen to hide the contact info and desktop clutter. Block incoming calls, anyway, just in case, since they generate a tone alert.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2013, 12:29:18 pm »
Askold cannot open the link! Interrupted by a meditating guru!
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2013, 01:58:30 pm »
Now that's just sad. You really ought to be more prepared, especially in a trial like this.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2013, 02:35:30 pm »
Ok, now I managed to get the link open.

This shows incompetence from the court and laziness from the witness. In fact, I would have assumed they would have some more reliable way to handle the long-distance testimony or simply have the police drag him to the courthouse to witness in person.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2013, 08:53:19 pm »

So Zimmerman can claim self defense?  It seems like before you were saying he can't

No, I am repeating that he cannot claim self-defense because he had no "reasonable fear of death or bodily injury." As you pointed out, that is a requirement for self-defense. Zimmerman could not have that fear because Martin was not armed with a deadly weapon.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2013, 09:25:44 pm »
Let's hope the defense doesn't follow up their knock-knock joke with a Call Me Maybe joke.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2013, 10:21:54 pm »

No, I am repeating that he cannot claim self-defense because he had no "reasonable fear of death or bodily injury." As you pointed out, that is a requirement for self-defense. Zimmerman could not have that fear because Martin was not armed with a deadly weapon.

A theory:  Martin's hands could have been thought of as a deadly weapon.  Skilled martial artists and CQC experts need to do so, and Zimmerman could have made that (false) assumption.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2013, 10:28:28 pm »

A theory:  Martin's hands could have been thought of as a deadly weapon.  Skilled martial artists and CQC experts need to do so, and Zimmerman could have made that (false) assumption.
It's worse than that. A "reasonable fear of death or bodily injury" can be claimed as soon as Martin touched him. Any fight contains a "reasonable fear of death or bodily injury". Therefore, anyone can argue it in any violent confrontation, because yes, there is a "reasonable fear of death or bodily injury". Remember, bodily injury is a vague term. Is bodily injury pissing blood? Coma? Broken bones? Bruised bones? A scrape? While chances are that last one wouldn't work, the rest are all bodily injuries.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2013, 04:09:27 am »
It's worse than that. A "reasonable fear of death or bodily injury" can be claimed as soon as Martin touched him. Any fight contains a "reasonable fear of death or bodily injury". Therefore, anyone can argue it in any violent confrontation, because yes, there is a "reasonable fear of death or bodily injury". Remember, bodily injury is a vague term. Is bodily injury pissing blood? Coma? Broken bones? Bruised bones? A scrape? While chances are that last one wouldn't work, the rest are all bodily injuries.

Hands, regardless of whose they are, are never considered deadly weapons. And even if they were, Zimmerman would have to have reason to believe that Martin was a skilled martial artist. Since Zimmerman had no idea who Martin was, there is no way he could have had that belief.

PostHuman, the phrase is "serious bodily injury." Legally, that phrase means pretty much "organ failure" or "injury likely to lead to death."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:12:23 am by erictheblue »