Author Topic: Moral Relativism/Subjectivism Is Ridiculous; Fundies Are Objectively Immoral  (Read 8147 times)

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
If morality is relative then if we base it on individuals then we have no basis to condemn anyone for anything and we have to allow things like homophobic discrimination.

If relative based on culture then we have to condemn the abolitionists and runaway slaves. They were going against the culture's morality and according to cultural moral relativism that's immoral.

I don't believe in moral absolutism. Perhaps morality is hypothetically absolute if you could create a moral statement long enough to account for every context where the right thing would be different from what is generally right. Maybe a system of moral absolutism that relies on 1000 word statements would work. But, it's more practical to go by moral generalism, that there are things that are generally morally true but they have exceptions.

At its core morality is just about achieving the greatest good for the greatest number with the least bad for the greatest number with at least some consideration for equity (we're not screwing over a small minority of people too badly just so the majority can benefit). I'll grant it may be more complicated than that, just like if I were to describe to you a basic description of physics there would be more to it than what I say. That does not mean that physics is relative or subjective.

Some people think it's about pleasing "God". Those people are wrong and they always have been. That at one point in history the vast majority believed that does not prove morality is subjective or relative any more than the fact that at one point in history the vast majority of people believed the Earth was flat proves that gravity is subjective or relative.

When people argue for "moral relativism" when they debate fundies they are making a huge mistake. Fundies will always twist that and say "then that means I'm not wrong either." No, we should let them know that they are in fact wrong and objectively so and that they always have been even when they held a social consensus. Homophobes are immoral. People who advocate for laws that hurt people who aren't doing anything wrong are immoral, even evil and we should let them know that. I think moral relativism is part of the reason why "social liberalism" is typically not as passionate as "social conservatism". If social liberalism was more passionate and adamant that "we are right" and the social cons are "wrong" maybe more states would allow gay marriage by now.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
If you are going to be objective, you are probably better off to point out that they are demonstrably wrong legally, scientifically, and frequently biblically on most issues. Just because you are morally objective doesn't mean they are and people are entitled to their own opinions so you will end up arguing to a brick wall.

Distind

If morality is relative then if we base it on individuals then we have no basis to condemn anyone for anything and we have to allow things like homophobic discrimination.
And if it was objective people might agree on what moral even is.

I've found relativity to be, well, relative. But at least that can be acknowledged rather than demanding objectivity be completely true.

Though, it could be argued that relative morals are based on what the person speaking believes, which are no less valid than those they are speaking to, and that most of the moral changes in such a system are made by causing people to change their minds on what they consider moral. Without going into any object morality we have solid reasons to criticize others, as they could well find out reasons compelling, change their minds and side with us.

Though relative and subjective are different, subjective seems a bit too detracted from reality for me to make an argument for. Subjective arguments for morality would probably fail, as they would only be concerned with the subject at hand rather than the beliefs of the observer.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
When people argue for "moral relativism" when they debate fundies they are making a huge mistake. Fundies will always twist that and say "then that means I'm not wrong either." No, we should let them know that they are in fact wrong and objectively so and that they always have been even when they held a social consensus. Homophobes are immoral. People who advocate for laws that hurt people who aren't doing anything wrong are immoral, even evil and we should let them know that. I think moral relativism is part of the reason why "social liberalism" is typically not as passionate as "social conservatism". If social liberalism was more passionate and adamant that "we are right" and the social cons are "wrong" maybe more states would allow gay marriage by now.

Yeah, um, the problem with that is (a sizable percentage) these fundamentalist bastards, the ones you'll actually meet (unless you live close enough to pat Robertson for him to steal your morning paper) really do believe that they they are doing good, or at least trying to. That they are trying to help the LGBT community get right with God so they can find everlasting salvation or whatever. They really truly believe they have a good map and are trying to get people heading down the wrong road to stop and go the right way. And according to your very own definition of moral, doing your best to help people, then they are in fact (using your standards) being moral. Their methods can be quite dickish, douchey even at times, but unless you're counting methodology as well as intent, it's still a moral act.

Just something for you to think about.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop

Yeah, um, the problem with that is (a sizable percentage) these fundamentalist bastards, the ones you'll actually meet (unless you live close enough to pat Robertson for him to steal your morning paper) really do believe that they they are doing good, or at least trying to. That they are trying to help the LGBT community get right with God so they can find everlasting salvation or whatever. They really truly believe they have a good map and are trying to get people heading down the wrong road to stop and go the right way. And according to your very own definition of moral, doing your best to help people, then they are in fact (using your standards) being moral. Their methods can be quite dickish, douchey even at times, but unless you're counting methodology as well as intent, it's still a moral act.

Just something for you to think about.

No, they merely believe they are being moral, but they are in fact being immoral since by objective standards and not the Babble they are promoting something that is very harmful to a lot of people (hate and bigotry). Just like someone might believe that the way to create a working hyper-drive is to use moldy cheese and breadcrumbs. That doesn't make it true.

It's possible to commit an immoral act or promote immorality by mistake and the vast majority of immorality is promoted by mistake since most people are not sociopaths or sadists.

But believing something to be so does not in fact make it so. If I believe that drinking 7 up will make me live forever it still won't just like if I believe that harassing people for being gay is a helpful thing that will better society or send more souls to heaven doesn't change the objective fact that it neither helps society or send souls to heaven.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 04:09:05 am by TheReasonator »

Distind

No, they merely believe they are being moral, but they are in fact being immoral since by objective standards and not the Babble they are promoting something that is very harmful to a lot of people (hate and bigotry).

Then where do these objective standards come from? Cost benefit analysis? If so I can make a case for wars of genocide relatively easily.

That said, the best use of moral relativism while arguing against fundies is pointing out just how many variants of their own religion there are and god doesn't seem to be launching and pillars of flame at the moment. Anything other than that they'll just mock, and with good reason for someone who has a book claiming to be a source of all morality.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
*is busy churning out brick walls*

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
No, they merely believe they are being moral, but they are in fact being immoral since by objective standards and not the Babble they are promoting something that is very harmful to a lot of people (hate and bigotry).

Then where do these objective standards come from? Cost benefit analysis? If so I can make a case for wars of genocide relatively easily.

Like I said I don't believe in moral absolutism but moral generalism. I don't see why morality has to either be absolute or relative, why can't we say that there are general moral truths but that these sometimes have exceptions.

If we as a society approve of wars of genocide I could easily wind up getting hurt by that, so it makes logical sense for me and for everyone at least everyone who cares not to be a victim of genocide to support a moral principle against all wars of genocide, and more than that to have a morality that affirms all human life(whether or not fetuses count is for entirely different discussion) as being worthy of social protection with only the exception of self-defense and lack of knowledge and resources(such as when the technology doesn't exist to save someone from a disease or when there aren't enough organs to go around). The social security of the protection against genocide greatly outweighs any economic gain a person could expect from a decreased population. Furthermore, "cost benefit analysis" based solely on monetary considerations is extremely flawed. There are goods other than money or property like health, security and even simply happiness. In fact it would be better to have a world of poor yet happy, healthy, and secure people than a world where everyone has their own palace yet there are high levels of violence, people are unhealthy, and people while they have a lot are miserable.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
Dude, if they are believe they are being moral, then on some level, they're being moral. Now, say their morality differs from yours, that's fair. You say you don't believe in moral absolutism. If that's true, than why isn't someone who's trying (in their eyes) to save someone else's soul immoral? Nobody is actively being physically hurt.

Let's look at it another way. Is eating meat immoral? The act of killing an animal, breaking down it's carcass by removing muscle tissue from skin and bone then roasting and consuming it, is that immoral?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
To a fundamentalist, moral relativism is fine as long as their religion benefits from it and isn't moral relativism.  If it doesn't, it's time to play that card as a BAD thing!
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
Dude, if they are believe they are being moral, then on some level, they're being moral. Now, say their morality differs from yours, that's fair. You say you don't believe in moral absolutism. If that's true, than why isn't someone who's trying (in their eyes) to save someone else's soul immoral? Nobody is actively being physically hurt.

Nobody gets physically hurt? Tell that to a homosexual who is about to be executed in Iran.

Preaching that "you need to be saved!" might not be immoral, ridiculous but not immoral. However, promoting policies that directly call for harm against someone for being gay are clearly immoral.

Let's look at it another way. Is eating meat immoral? The act of killing an animal, breaking down it's carcass by removing muscle tissue from skin and bone then roasting and consuming it, is that immoral?

Species selfishness is natural and beneficial. A shark has no qualms about eating you.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
First world culture, Reasonator. We seem to be the only ones with enough time to sit and ponder such trivial things. I'm not talking about Iran, I'm talking about America, the UK, Australia, and most of Europe. But I do see your point. Good job shifting those goal posts. We were talking about harassing people, telling them they are wrong and going to hell, calling them evil and whatnot. We were not talking about death by large rocks or however Iran executes homosexuals.

Now, can you please answer a question for me. How does it work when you say morality is general yet can call others' actions objectively immoral?

*Italics = edited to add.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 02:23:31 pm by rookie »

Distind

Nobody gets physically hurt? Tell that to a homosexual who is about to be executed in Iran.

Preaching that "you need to be saved!" might not be immoral, ridiculous but not immoral. However, promoting policies that directly call for harm against someone for being gay are clearly immoral.
Clearly how?

Let's assume I've got my head and a KJV shoved directly up my own ass. I believe that gays are in fact a cancer on the face of the world and if left unchecked will destroy society. I have facts left and right, suicide statistics, STD rates, sexual partner counts in the billions. Why would I possibly believe my actions in opposing them invading my institution of marriage, or attempting to brainwash my kids. Hell, I've even got a passage in a book which declares their actions to be an abomination. That's clear past immoral, that's immoral AND bad.

I can rattle off like this for a while. But you're running as if people agree with you, and using your own assumptions as objective truths. I don't particularly dissagree with most of what you consider moral/immoral, but I will say claiming it to be objective truth isn't going to win any body over any more than the Phelps win new fans by protesting military funerals.

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop

Clearly how?

Let's assume I've got my head and a KJV shoved directly up my own ass. I believe that gays are in fact a cancer on the face of the world and if left unchecked will destroy society. I have facts left and right, suicide statistics, STD rates, sexual partner counts in the billions. Why would I possibly believe my actions in opposing them invading my institution of marriage, or attempting to brainwash my kids. Hell, I've even got a passage in a book which declares their actions to be an abomination. That's clear past immoral, that's immoral AND bad.

I can rattle off like this for a while. But you're running as if people agree with you, and using your own assumptions as objective truths. I don't particularly dissagree with most of what you consider moral/immoral, but I will say claiming it to be objective truth isn't going to win any body over any more than the Phelps win new fans by protesting military funerals.

1. I can see how someone might suspect that homosexuality rather than societal judgment is leading to more suicide, however a person who commits suicide after getting depressed by some aspect of their behavior that is non-beneficial(assuming here for the sake of argument that the homophobes are right and homosexuality is detrimental to the homosexual) is making a choice. Same with getting STDs unless you are raped(then it suffices to just ban rape).
2. If homosexuals are really confused and hurting themselves without knowing it the appropriate response would be compassion, not hate. The nonviolent antigays who may not agree with gay marriage or adoption may just be naive (their opposition to those rights is still immoral, however their intentions are moral, I don't condemn these people just their actions, when possible reeducation is better than punishment though punishment is sometimes the only reasonable course of action for society such as against someone who commits a homophobic murder. Things like homophobic speech on the other hand while immoral it's still immoral to ban it as it pushes homophobia underground and helps them to justify their mentality with a persecution complex and the reasoning "We must have the truth and they are just afraid of it, otherwise why would they have to ban the expression of it". Even when something is immoral it doesn't always make it moral for us to police it and even when it is it's typically only moral to police it in certain ways(no death penalty, the risk to innocent people of being killed is too much and it doesn't reverse the crime, and really you're letting the criminal off easy by cutting his years in prison when you could give him life even if he doesn't understand that).
Wow, big digression...anyways I was saying The appropriate response would be compassion and not hate, since even if it's harmful to the person himself it's victimless. Others who hurt themselves who had a choice involved does not create real victims. Rising health care costs creates "victims" but in a sense that is best rectified with taxation or fines as that holds the chance of recouping losses.

3. People are not responsible for the choices of other people without a position of power involved such as teacher-student, parent-child, superior officer-private, and in some cases this responsibility is wide and in others narrow. Adult-child is narrow, if an adult actively addresses a child and gets them to do something inappropriate it's clearly the adults fault, but more subtle influences are things everyone deals with so policing just based on that opens up a can of worms.) If homosexuality in the media influences someone even a child to become a homosexual, too bad. The individual still wasn't forced to do it, although this parents have the primary influence and a power relationship they are responsible so there's some room for taking kids away if the parents are teaching them certain things such as raising their kid to be a thief. There are all kinds of influences in society, so attacking something just because it is a bad influence when that influence is something which influences through being received as positive naturally by oneself and not an influence imposed to some degree by power, opens up a genuine slippery slope. In some cases an influence is positive naturally, it appeals to who the person already is and it influences through that person's conscious choice to accept it. In some cases, in a lot of cases the individual thinks a little about whether or not to accept the influence. Being influenced does NOT= being enslaved, or even overpowered. We make decisions about which influences to accept and reject everyday. Being influenced or not is for an adult their individual responsibility and for a child their individual responsibility but with more(progressively less as they mature) responsibility on parents or caregivers and in some settings teachers, and babysitters.

Could I be wrong about these things? Absolutely and I believe it is objectively moral to keep an open mind about things, and willing to change one's mind. That doesn't mean there is no objective morality, only that it is impossible to know for sure whether one is right or wrong about objective morality. But this is true of everything. For all we know physical reality could all be a simulation or an illusion. Does this make it subjective? Some people reason that it does(ex: The Secret), sometimes this boosts the persons confidence and they are able to avoid too much negative effects and other times the person goes insane or winds up disappointed because they try to solve all their problems with "beliefs".

We still need to use our best judgement and not just think of "morality" as "what ever I want", that's selfish and ignores the needs of other people. We also must not think that it automatically is the case that if something is "immoral" it requires the law to respond, it requires some sort of social sanction obviously unless there are temporary problems that make it impractical to impose social sanction for the time being. In some cases the law is the right solution and in other cases it is not. Just because I can't perfectly list it all out doesn't mean there isn't an objective answer, just that it must be discovered with reason and that I must even after drawing conclusions be open to the possibility that I wind find that they are wrong.

Indeed I don't get why moral relativism is looked on as more open-minded. If I were a moral relativist I would think "I believe this is right, morality is relative, so I win and it's right." This mentality can easily lead to the following of "might is right" 'morality' in society.  Because I believe morality is objective I know that like all things which are objective facts it is possible for me to be wrong about it and impossible to ever have absolute certainty, only general certainty(hence moral generalism versus moral relativism). I've changed my mind many times, and indeed I recognize I have been immoral in the past and there are probably things I have yet too discover were immoral and in time I may discover that some of those immoral things in the past were OK. It's not critical for me to get it right except where it really matters enough to direct my conscious energy, too much focus on trying to be moral is itself immoral(in action but not in intent) as it wastes one's energy and thwarts one's endeavors and makes one useless to both the self and others.

4. If I bought that homosexuality was harmful I would limit them to domestic partnerships (still good to promote stable relationships), no adoption, and a tax on any gay-themed places and anything gay-themed in the media (with a ban on advertising). I would permit employers to use their own judgment in hiring and firing decisions related to sexual orientation. I might even support a ban on openly gay teachers and openly gay soldiers. I would support allowing parents to send their gay kids to ex-gay camp or even declare it "neglect" not to for kids, but I'd let adults make their own decisions. I would not support putting them in jail or executing them. All that does is revenge and does not benefit society compared to less harmful(to the gay people) options. It can also increase people's resistance as clearly happened over the years with the gay community culminating in Stonewall and growing even more.
PS this is IF I bought the argument that homosexuality was harmful(and hence immoral). I do NOT.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
BRICK WALLS HERE!  GET YOUR BRICK WALLS HERE!  EASIER TO USE THEN TO ARGUE WITH RESONATOR!