Author Topic: Atheist gives suggestions on how to convert him.  (Read 7851 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Atheist gives suggestions on how to convert him.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 11:57:23 pm »
Lobster sushi.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 12:15:58 am »
I always feel odd because I HATE shellfish. Most seafood in general, to be honest. I have never been able to stomach it. (My mother says that as a toddler I was apparently able to tuck into a gigantic adult-sized portion of shrimp and clams from a local seafood chain, but I think by now we can ascertain that my mother is a psychotic lying harpy.) People always seem to think I'm insane because I can't stand seafood except in the tiny portions you get in sushi.

Boything, being born and raised in Maryland, loves shellfish. It's his favourite food in the entire world. But at fourteen he developed a deadly shellfish allergy, the poor boy. So he doesn't understand it at all that I CAN eat shellfish but WON'T, because he wishes he COULD more than anything and he CAN'T.

Of course, Mother Nature is a bitch when it comes to this because most of the people I've met with shellfish allergies developed the allergy later in life and positively LOVE seafood, especially shellfish. Mother Nature at times seems much more Mommie Dearest than June Cleaver.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Indikins

• Pope
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 02:18:36 am »
Seafood frightens me.  :-[  It seems all slimy, cyclopean and otherworldly. Do not want.
I once had a nightmare about chickens pecking me to death on my driveway. I told my sister to save herself.

This is the #1 nightmare.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 02:33:45 am »
I think we're getting off topic now.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 02:37:51 am »
Seafood frightens me.  :-[  It seems all slimy, cyclopean and otherworldly. Do not want.

Fish are friends, not food.
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 02:38:13 am »
Yes, we are.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 03:21:28 am »
I think we're getting off topic now.

Not entirely off topic.
After all, we are merely stating that for a religion to recruit us successfully it would have to give use a good enough reason to give up bacon and shellfish. I don't think many evangelicals have considered this aspect of their conversion strategies.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 08:59:53 am »
I love seafood, it's absolutely delicious.

Though lobster is highly overrated. I'll still eat it if it's there, but I'd much rather a nice big piece of battered fish. Or perhaps some barbecued octopus.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 09:13:52 am »

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 03:55:56 pm »
I love seafood, plus it's a lot healthier than most land food to boot.

The key for me on this idea is pretty good, his reasonings and all, for how to be converted. I am agnostic and it's doubtful I'd be converted. Any attempts  to put a God into an easy to tell, condensed, human package just seems like arrogance on the human's part.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 07:21:41 pm »
Why can't there be a religion where the rules regarding food are "If it's awesome, eat it"? Instead of restricting your congregation from eating certain foods or cooking/slaughtering in a certain way, why not tell them "If your taste buds say yes, it must be okay!"
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 12:15:41 am »
Why can't there be a religion where the rules regarding food are "If it's awesome, eat it"? Instead of restricting your congregation from eating certain foods or cooking/slaughtering in a certain way, why not tell them "If your taste buds say yes, it must be okay!"

It's called Rookism. We meet at a local bar and grill Saturday nights. You should come check us out sometime.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Atavist

• Pope
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 01:45:27 am »
Bring us back to the topic, in the eight years I've been living here, I've had missionaries knock on my door 5 times.
Each time I asked them if they would respect the Law of Reciprocity.
One couple* thought I was trying to invoke some pagan/satanic law and decided to leave.
Three couples asked me what it was. I informed them I had a standard of minimin knowledge for conversation and I asked them to leave.
The final couple said that they were here to share 'God's Word' and were not interested in what I had to say. So they left.

*every evanglical I've met has been part of a couple or larger group. Guess they were afraid to trust in their faith to go it alone. 
I am too lost for shame
That it moves me unto mirth,
But I can vision a Hell of flame
For I have lived on Earth.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 02:16:47 am »
Bring us back to the topic, in the eight years I've been living here, I've had missionaries knock on my door 5 times.
Each time I asked them if they would respect the Law of Reciprocity.
One couple* thought I was trying to invoke some pagan/satanic law and decided to leave.
Three couples asked me what it was. I informed them I had a standard of minimin knowledge for conversation and I asked them to leave.
The final couple said that they were here to share 'God's Word' and were not interested in what I had to say. So they left.

*every evanglical I've met has been part of a couple or larger group. Guess they were afraid to trust in their faith to go it alone.

My shrieking dog pack (there's six, all friendly but loud as hell) gets most of them on edge enough to just hand out a pamphlet and leave. When our crazy St. Bernard was still alive, a big old booming BAAARRRRROOOWWWW! was enough to get them to not even walk up the driveway. You could hear her from three blocks away, so being up close was pretty intense.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 03:35:27 am »
If you're male, and you never want a particular group to bother you ever again, just get some KY jelly.  Then, the next time they come a-knockin, strip naked, and smear some of that lube all over your captain and answer the door, bonus points if you have a boner and/or are sweating.  They will be so disturbed and embarrassed (very few things are as bad as interrupting someone mid-fuck) that they will NEVER return.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.