Author Topic: Russia to arrest pro-gay Olympic Athletes  (Read 9893 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Russia to arrest pro-gay Olympic Athletes
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2013, 02:49:37 pm »
Okay, getting this back on topic:

During the 1936 Summer Olympics, Hitler did not want any Jews or blacks to compete. They only relented after a campaign led by civil rights groups in other nations raised enough public outcry. Hopefully that's what will happen here.

Personally I feel like boycotting anything Olympic this year and using it as an opportunity to raise discussion of the discriminatory laws :/

Yeah that's what I'm really hoping for. Hence why I posted the two athletes. Cause I think any type of protest gives hope.

I do know 1) I won't be watching the Olympics and 2) I won't be visiting Russia even tho I could have a potential in the next couple of years to do so. and 3) I hope people don't seriously think boycotting vodka is gonna help a single iota.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2013, 04:34:38 pm »
I never understood how boycotting vodka would actually do anything helpful. All that does is hurt the companies that make the vodka, which are completely separate entities from the Russian government. What a dumb idea.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2013, 05:25:36 pm »
I never understood how boycotting vodka would actually do anything helpful. All that does is hurt the companies that make the vodka, which are completely separate entities from the Russian government. What a dumb idea.

Quite a number of them aren't even in Russia, so you're not even taking away corporate tax revenue from the Russian government by boycotting their vodka.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 03:15:06 pm »
http://img.yle.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/article6784613.ece/ALTERNATES/w960/paavo+arhinm%C3%A4ki+sateenkaarilippu+moskova+mm-kisat.jpg

Paavo Arhinmäki, the Finnish minister for culture and sport is seen in the picture waving a rainbow flag in Moscow during the World Track & Field Championships.

He felt that this the new anti-gay laws of Russia must be protested against and has defended his actions in the Finnish media. The Russian media is quiet about the matter but homophobes on the internet are frothing from their mouths.

This is the first time that I support the actions of Arhinmäki.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 08:59:50 pm »
http://img.yle.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/article6784613.ece/ALTERNATES/w960/paavo+arhinm%C3%A4ki+sateenkaarilippu+moskova+mm-kisat.jpg

Paavo Arhinmäki, the Finnish minister for culture and sport is seen in the picture waving a rainbow flag in Moscow during the World Track & Field Championships.

He felt that this the new anti-gay laws of Russia must be protested against and has defended his actions in the Finnish media. The Russian media is quiet about the matter but homophobes on the internet are frothing from their mouths.

Am I wrong in thinking that given past history, Finland enjoys telling Russia to go fuck its hat every so often?

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2013, 03:46:49 am »

Am I wrong in thinking that given past history, Finland enjoys telling Russia to go fuck its hat every so often?

You better believe it, son.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 07:04:02 pm »
Wentworth Miller came out as gay after Russia sent him an invitation to come to their country for a film festival.

"Thank you for your kind invitation. As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes," the 41 year old wrote in a letter to Maria Averbakh, director of the St. Petersburg International Film Festival. "However, as a gay man, I must decline."

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2013, 12:39:04 am »
Just an update on that Arhinmäki protest thing.

http://www.finlandtimes.fi/national/2013/08/21/2106/Controversy-over-waving-%E2%80%98Rainbow%E2%80%99-flag-in-Moscow-by-Arhinm%C3%A4ki

Lots of loud protests against Arhinmäki because of his stunt. Mostly from homophobes but some are just concerned of what the Russians might do and how this could trouble our economy (Export to Russia has been increasing and helping our economy.)

But mostly it's just the homophobes and fundies. Two things that annoy me, that I am now taking the side of a leftist in this trainwreck and that so many of the fundies/homophobes are from my party. Well at least some of the complainers are also from the left as well. Stuff like "You were supposed to fight for the rights of the workers, not the rights of some faggots."

Also, I consider it funny that the one guy in Finland to protest against the Russian law is from Vasemmistoliitto (left wing union) which was formed from the four communist parties of Finland.

[There were several parties, The communist party of Finland had been formed in 1918 in Russia from the reds that escaped after losing the civil war, The democratic union of Finnish people and Democratic union of Finnish women formed by leftists in Finland in 1944 after communism became legal again and The democratic choice was formed by communists who had been kicked out of other parties due to disagreements. And this still leaves several leftist/communist parties in Finland. This ends the useless history lesson.]
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2013, 12:47:57 am »
Wow, that Finnish history really shows how hard it is to unite leftist like myself. I'm reminded of the joke From Monty Python's Life of Brian:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE</a>
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 12:51:04 am »
Lots of loud protests against Arhinmäki because of his stunt. Mostly from homophobes but some are just concerned of what the Russians might do and how this could trouble our economy (Export to Russia has been increasing and helping our economy.)

If Russia started refusing trade with countries that protested their human rights violations, it would harm the Russians more than the people that they're "punishing." The Russian economic situation isn't exactly top notch, and they're only hurting themselves if they don't bite their tongues or start reconsidering their bigotry.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 08:51:22 am »

If Russia started refusing trade with countries that protested their human rights violations, it would harm the Russians more than the people that they're "punishing." The Russian economic situation isn't exactly top notch, and they're only hurting themselves if they don't bite their tongues or start reconsidering their bigotry.

It could very well give incentive for other countries to start investing in Finland simply out of spite.  And people taking whatever Russian investments they have to greener pastures.

But, keep going right on at it, Putin.  Russia's overdue for another revolt, anyway.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2013, 09:12:06 am »

It could very well give incentive for other countries to start investing in Finland simply out of spite.  And people taking whatever Russian investments they have to greener pastures.

But, keep going right on at it, Putin.  Russia's overdue for another revolt, anyway.
Investing out of spite or for any other such emotional reasons is one of the quickest ways to lose your money.