Author Topic: Woman Calls 911 and Gets Raped By Responder  (Read 13131 times)

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Re: Woman Calls 911 and Gets Raped By Responder
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2012, 06:08:44 pm »
Or perhaps a manly nod?

Indeed.

My outlook does tend to be pretty callous. Or as I've said before, "You ever look at something you said & wonder if you're a psychopath?"

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2012, 06:17:55 pm »
Easy test: If I stomped on a kitten right now, how would you react?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2012, 06:22:12 pm »
I really feel bad for this woman. When you call 911, you expect these people to be your rescuers or at the very least, someone you can trust to do the right thing. I have the urge to harm this person...Rape, domestic violence and verbal/mental abuse are just a few things that make my kill-o-meter fill up and go into overdrive.
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2012, 06:29:51 pm »
Easy test: If I stomped on a kitten right now, how would you react?

That bastard was probably trying to kill you. It IS a cat.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2012, 10:08:19 pm »
Ugh, I didn't want to go into this, but you're making it difficult:

1. Revenge is not going to establish some infinite cycle of suffering in most cases.
2. Eye for an eye is not incompatible with justice.

The first premise is simple to explain. There are few actual examples of this happening. What happens in most cases is that one party, usually the one that gets its ass kicked worse, simply gives up. And this is really obvious if we look at our current justice system. Don't you think there are people who feel they've been wronged by it? Now if it's in human nature to retaliate every time you've been wronged, how come these people don't go all Law Abiding Citizen & start blowing shit up?

As for the second premise, the idea behind eye for an eye is to pay an equivalent price for the crime you committed. We still use this idea. It's just nowadays, we think that a fine is a more equivalent punishment for a thief than chopping his hand off. And that leads to another realization: The punitive aspect of justice isn't really that different from revenge. Even the rehabilitation part isn't, necessarily, mutually exclusive, because all we're saying there is "the person no longer deserves this punishment." It's simply a question of what the observer deems appropriate, & in the case of the justice system, that observer is the court & its established precedents.

I think there is a mark difference between revenge and justice. 

Justice is about what is right, what is moral.  Justice is more about society enforcing its rules then it is about the perpetrator or the victim.  Justice, in the end, is about order.

Revenge is not about order, nor about society.  It's personal.  It's someone looking to fill a hurt by hurting another. 

Most people have a hard time hurting others, at least physically.  Others are cowards, and still others all ready know that revenge does not heal a hurt.  That is why most people don't seek revenge.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2012, 10:50:16 pm »
My distinction is that justice is about protecting the innocent.  Revenge is about punishing the guilty.  In justice, you punish to keep people from committing the offense again (either by deterrence or prevention).  In revenge, you punish because they hurt someone else.  It all comes down to why you're doing it.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2012, 11:09:06 pm »
Premise 1: "Why don't most people seek revenge?" was a rhetorical question, the point was the FACT that most people do not. The reasons are actually quite irrelevent. That you recognize this holds true means that you should concede that "revenge begets more revenge" is an invalid argument.

Premise 2: Let's not kid ourselves, when someone says "justice is about morality," he's not talking about all societies, or even his own. He's talking about an ideal. And, surprise, the avenger will spout similar idealistic rhetoric about morals & order. It's not that the avenger is a card carrying villain or doesn't believe in morals or something stupid, they believe they are carrying out justice where the actual, physical law has failed.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2012, 07:19:50 am »
Premise 1: "Why don't most people seek revenge?" was a rhetorical question, the point was the FACT that most people do not. The reasons are actually quite irrelevent. That you recognize this holds true means that you should concede that "revenge begets more revenge" is an invalid argument.

Most people doesn’t mean all people.  Look at places in the Middle East.  We see tribal fighting which is based on revenge for past wrongs.  Gangs violence throughout the world is much that way as well.  So I don't think it follows that "revenge begets more revenge" is an invalid because most people don't seek it, because many still do.

Premise 2: Let's not kid ourselves, when someone says "justice is about morality," he's not talking about all societies, or even his own. He's talking about an ideal. And, surprise, the avenger will spout similar idealistic rhetoric about morals & order. It's not that the avenger is a card carrying villain or doesn't believe in morals or something stupid, they believe they are carrying out justice where the actual, physical law has failed.

The avenger can say what he likes; it does not make it true.  You're right, that just because a person seeks revenge does not mean they do not have morals.  Having morals does not mean what you are doing is right.  Sometimes people do the wrong things for the right reasons.   That still does not make it justice.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2012, 03:01:00 pm »
re:  revenge vs. justice:  In my case, up until about 5 years ago when I was 23, I had the wishful thought of returning the favor to my uncle's murderer.  15 years is a long time to hold a grudge...

Revenge can be a delicious dish indeed, but now that I've grown up a bit more, all I want to know is why.  That's the difference between the two, to me.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2012, 07:46:27 pm »
I didn't even read the story cuz the headline says it all! I don't want to get hot with rage right now.

That said, in standing up to this barfy excuse for a Police Officer, this woman has proven herself stronger, mightier & superior in every way! She's stronger than Ol' Big Blue Goon who only THINKS he's stronger. Hopefully this weakling will have his can in the can while this nice, strong woman gets counseling & hopefully, make a great emotional recovery.

Rape is a horrible crime! A disgusting PHYSICAL assault that uses sex as a weapon. The bozo committing it does it for power.

And if someone does something this dumb for power....he/she is really the biggest weakling & pansy in the world. With each violent thrust they only make their cajones tinier.

Perhaps with the right mindset, one can thwart the rapist even if they succeed in the assault. It's all about power & scarring the mind & soul....the body is just a means to get there. Think about it....few people get psychically scarred or shellshock by getting simply beat up. Yeah, you're a bruised mess & you're mad but over time, it's just another crappy thing that happens. Rape is different, perhaps it's the sex/dominance connection.

But perhaps, there needs to be some sort of "Mental Self-Defense", if prevention & regular self-defense fails & ol' jerkoff succeeds in the deed, then the "Mental Self-Defense" can kick in & thwart the rapists true intentions....hurting you in the PSYCHE. Remember, rapists are weaklings by nature. Emotional babies. A bunch of pansies! They can hurt my body but I REFUSE TO LET THEM HURT MY SOUL!

I am by NO MEANS A RAPE APPOLOGIST NOR AM I MAKING LIGHT OF THIS SLIMY CRIME! RAPE SURVIVORS DESERVE TO HEAL & HEAL FULLY! RAPISTS DESERVE TO BE PUNISHED! NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT!

I just want to empower the person being raped, that's all!

So, I say to this woman....YOU GO GIRL! MAY YOU GET HIS POSTERIOR IN PRISON!

As for the commenters, I wont lose my faith in humanity over that....just an incredibly vocal minority & a bunch of trolls!

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2012, 09:20:04 pm »
The avenger can say what he likes; it does not make it true.

I love how you don't see the irony in this.