Author Topic: The Official Pokémon Thread  (Read 12581 times)

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
Re: The Official Pokémon Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 01:10:15 pm »
So... according to CoroCoro, Pokemon Black and White 2 is not just a retooled B&W, but has an entirely new story and new game features. I'm not sure exactly how accurate that is--the whole article isn't really available yet. But the news sounds promising.

I was hoping they would do something with Kyurem, I hated that pokemon. For all its potential, the ice dragon had horrible typing, a horrible signature move, a mediocre ability, and stats that make it a weak Rayquaza.

Also, I plan on getting this (so I'll also need to buy a 3DS) so that I can recapture the awesomest (Gen V) pokemon, Terrakion ^-^

I also don't see them re-making Ruby and Sapphire. I always thought the primary reason for the Gen 1 & 2 remakes were to update the game mechanics (4 values of 0-15 in gen 2 were updated to 6 values of 0-31 in Gen 3-present). But knowing the basis of the pokemon franchise, I wouldn't put it past them.

Oh, and what are everyone's favorite pokes? Mine are (in order) Tyranitar, Alakazam, Pikachu, Mewtwo, and Terrakion ^-^

I'm gonna bet Kyurem will be touched on in BW2, considering the two alternate forms revealed. What I'm curious about exactly is how it will affect his typing, stats, and abilities. Not to mention the "Ice Burn" and "Freeze Shock".

Personally, I like Dunsparce (My first Shiny was a Dunsparce I found in the original Silver, it was my first Pokemon caught in that game), Kyurem, Zekrom, Reshiram (I like the Dao trio a lot), and Scrafty (Favorite to use in battle).

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 01:31:51 pm »
Well, Kyurem's 2 forms are the mascots of the game. I guess I neglected to post the box art.

So I think "the story will do something with Kyurem" is pretty much a given.

As for the other stuff, I'm fairly sure it's typing will stay Ice/Dragon. All three of its signature moves (Glaciate, Ice Burn, and Freeze Shock) are Ice-type, so there's no way that's going, and I doubt they're going to cripple it by making the forms Ice/Fire and Ice/Electric. In stats, it may be as simple as Black Kyurem getting +20 Attack, and White Kyurem gaining +20 Sp.Attack. Kyurem is 20 base stat total weaker than Reshiram and Zekrom are, and bumping either offensive stat by 20 would line it up with the higher offensive stat of the respective dragon, making it so Black Kyurem would hit just as hard physically as Zekrom does, and White Kyurem would hit as hard specially as Reshiram does. As for the ability, right now people are guessing the forms will have a new ability that negates the charge turn of two-turn moves. Both Ice Burn and Freeze Shock require a turn to charge (like Solar Beam or Razor Wind). This would make it so normal Kyurem would have to charge these moves, but White Kyurem could use Ice Burn with no charge and Black Kyurem could use Freeze Shock with no charge.

All of that is speculation, of course, and I'll post any concrete information when it is available.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 08:05:11 pm »
Oh, and what are everyone's favorite pokes? Mine are (in order) Tyranitar, Alakazam, Pikachu, Mewtwo, and Terrakion ^-^

Zapdos, Houndoom, Lugia, Mew, Groudon, and Victini.

But i haven't played in almost a year...
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

QueenofHearts

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 08:19:42 pm »
Well, Kyurem's 2 forms are the mascots of the game. I guess I neglected to post the box art.

So I think "the story will do something with Kyurem" is pretty much a given.

As for the other stuff, I'm fairly sure it's typing will stay Ice/Dragon. All three of its signature moves (Glaciate, Ice Burn, and Freeze Shock) are Ice-type, so there's no way that's going, and I doubt they're going to cripple it by making the forms Ice/Fire and Ice/Electric. In stats, it may be as simple as Black Kyurem getting +20 Attack, and White Kyurem gaining +20 Sp.Attack. Kyurem is 20 base stat total weaker than Reshiram and Zekrom are, and bumping either offensive stat by 20 would line it up with the higher offensive stat of the respective dragon, making it so Black Kyurem would hit just as hard physically as Zekrom does, and White Kyurem would hit as hard specially as Reshiram does. As for the ability, right now people are guessing the forms will have a new ability that negates the charge turn of two-turn moves. Both Ice Burn and Freeze Shock require a turn to charge (like Solar Beam or Razor Wind). This would make it so normal Kyurem would have to charge these moves, but White Kyurem could use Ice Burn with no charge and Black Kyurem could use Freeze Shock with no charge.

All of that is speculation, of course, and I'll post any concrete information when it is available.

Well I knew they would do something with Kyurem from the OP, I just meant I was hoping they would (as in past to present). I definitely think that you're right on all accounts, the leader of the trios has higher total stats than others (Kyurem being the only exception). So they will probably add 20 to the base stats, both in one of the attacks for the two forms (as Gen V is pretty big on bulky pokemon so will leave the defenses/HP/speed alone). I don't know if they will change the abilities of either (they may) but they could change the typing (as they did with Rotom) but I doubt they will if only because Electric/ice and Electric/Fire are horrible types (with the first having 6 weaknesses and the second having a glaring X4 weakness to ground).

And @ L, I like Houndoom :). I used to have one back in Gen 2 which I wish I could still use (hate the mechanics transition :(). That thing had a pretty powerful Hidden power grass that caught a lot of ground/rock/water types off guard. I ended up winning a lot of battles thanks to her.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:21:57 pm by QueenofHearts »

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 12:27:12 am »
I personally wouldn't argue if they added a simple +10 to each attack stat (Keeping Kyurem a happy medium between Reshiram and Zekrom).

One thing that has bugged me about 5th generation, lack of Earthquake users. Maybe I'm just spoiled by all the previous generations handing Quake out like lollipops, but I'm curious what made Earthquake so rare this go around. I mean, are they trying to add a little bit of logic to it?

QueenofHearts

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 03:27:04 am »
I thought there were a good number of Earthquake users; Emboar, Krookodile, Landorus, Golurk, Haxorus, etc. Maybe not a credible number of EQ users that can be used effectively in battle (the only ones that stick out in my mind are Landorus, Excadrill, and Scarfed Haxorus). I also don't think Nintendo adds or removes moves to "balance" the game as the game will kind of balance itself by this point.

I also notice in my last post I said "Electric/Ice Electric/Fire" which is wrong (if they would change types it would be Fire/Ice, which still has a boat load of weaknesses).

Also, does anyone use an online pokemon battle system (such as Pokemon On-line) or am I the only one  :-\?

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 12:03:34 pm »
I use Pokemon Online every now and then.

I was meaning 'Mons like... Zekrom or Samurott. I mean, even Venusaur can use Earthquake, but my freaking Dragon God can't? It was more of the principle of the thing. Plus, I use some more gimmicky sets, hence why it bugs me.