Author Topic: Barry Smitherman, candidate for Attorney General, talks about Texas secession  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
“One of the things I’ve focused on in the last 10 years of my public sector life is preparing Texas to be a prosperous and safe place to work, regardless of what happens outside our borders,” he said.

“We are uniquely situated because we have energy resources, fossil and otherwise, and our own independent electrical grid. Generally speaking, we have made great progress in becoming an independent nation, an ‘island nation’ if you will, and I think we want to continue down that path so that if the rest of the country falls apart, Texas can operate as a stand-alone entity with energy, food, water and roads as if we were a closed-loop system.”

Puleaze. The United States has the Highest GDP and strongest currency of any nation. We're not going to fall apart anytime soon.

And these are what Island nations look like

(click to show/hide)

The comments are delicious.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/09/texas-official-preparing-for-independence/#c2uwVppcUPGRMbvT.01
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

wrightway

Doesn't Texas get insane amounts of federal aid?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Several military bases and important scientific organizations live in Texas on the Federal Dime.  They pull out, Texas is done.

Ironbite-they really think they can survive the drug cartels that'll move in.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
Makes me wonder how they will fare with a natural disaster.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
“One of the things I’ve focused on in the last 10 years of my public sector life is preparing Texas to be a prosperous and safe place to work, regardless of what happens outside our borders,” he said.

Despite the Texas state having the highest workplace fatality rate in all of the United States, all in the name if Free-market Capitalism aka "Fuck our workers and their families! It's all about the money!".

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Also, Texas seceding would likely result in a large exodus of workers who don't WANT to suddenly find themselves part of a new nation. Especially the ones who already don't like Texas.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
I recall something about Texas facing drought due to water being used in fracking.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
I recall something about Texas facing drought due to water being used in fracking.

Why do we still insist on calling it that? Shouldn't we have learned after the first 20 jokes about the word?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Although Texas does give more in taxes then gets in federal aid
the only red state

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Although Texas does give more in taxes then gets in federal aid
the only red state
How well do you think they'll be able to continue without NASA, military, and oil subsidies funding some of their larger industries?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: Barry Smitherman, candidate for Attorney General, talks about Texas secession
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 03:16:36 am »
Anyone who speculates about an imminent collapse of US society- except if they mention a non-retarded cause like climate change- should be exempt from public office.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Barry Smitherman, candidate for Attorney General, talks about Texas secession
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 12:32:28 pm »
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 01:52:55 pm »
Oh yes, if I remember correctly, the constitution of the Texas state, a long-winded clusterfuck that rivals Atlas Shrugged, stated that if Texas didn't wanted to be a state anymore, it could split into seven new states, but not a new nation. Though take this with a pinch of salt.

And if Texas splits into seven, can I move to the state housing Austin, home and new stronghold to all the "Liberal commie pinko fags" that was of Texas?

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 11:48:02 am »
Oh yes, if I remember correctly, the constitution of the Texas state, a long-winded clusterfuck that rivals Atlas Shrugged, stated that if Texas didn't wanted to be a state anymore, it could split into seven new states, but not a new nation. Though take this with a pinch of salt.

And if Texas splits into seven, can I move to the state housing Austin, home and new stronghold to all the "Liberal commie pinko fags" that was of Texas?

Don't cross out that last part man, that would solve the issue of where Progressive Texans go.

I think we should ship all the nation's worst Wingnuts, both average schmoes & politicians, to Texas & have them secede. Then, the USA won't have that big load holding Progress back! They'll eventually see how their Jeebusland works out, THE HARD WAY.

Meanwhile, the USA will move into the 21st Century, embrace the Progressive ideals it professes & becomes the free-wheeling Scandinavia of the New World!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 12:08:00 pm »

Don't cross out that last part man, that would solve the issue of where Progressive Texans go.

I think we should ship all the nation's worst Wingnuts, both average schmoes & politicians, to Texas & have them secede. Then, the USA won't have that big load holding Progress back! They'll eventually see how their Jeebusland works out, THE HARD WAY.

Meanwhile, the USA will move into the 21st Century, embrace the Progressive ideals it professes & becomes the free-wheeling Scandinavia of the New World!

Five states, actually. Unfortunately, while it means one state will be progressive, it still mean 8 republican senators.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.