Author Topic: Fast zombies  (Read 10023 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Fast zombies
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 03:58:23 am »
Fast zombies...

If you want humanlike monsters that move in swarms and rush at you from the darkness why not just use werewolves?

Because despite the fact that Twilight contains no actual werewolves, anything and everything that has werewolves will now be associated with Twilight.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 05:42:30 am »
Regarding I Am Legend, I liked it better when it was called The Last Man on Earth and starred Vincent Price.

...gods, that sounds douchey. Really though, they're both adaptations of the same book, and Price's version does it much better. Also I believe they were supposed to actually be vampires, not zombies at all, but the Will Smith movie doesn't do a good job of conveying that. On topic, I think the fast zombie trend is mostly prevalent because filmmakers figure audiences won't find anything slow moving to be all that scary, and they're often right. Not to say it can't be pulled off effectively, it's just that it's rather easy to screw up and fast zombies are easier to make scary.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 06:22:11 am »
I like both if done well. La horde and the 38 (technically not zombies, but same effect) did made them terrifying if theres just one running around. And in slow movies like land of the dead, the slow zombies emphasize the effect of a good ol slow steam roll
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 06:58:24 am »
Halloween does a good job of pulling off the slow-moving antagonist. His agonizingly slow pace makes you want to scream at whoever's about to get sliced.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 07:09:47 am »
I dunno, slow zombies seem to work fairly well for Walking Dead...

The Walking Dead is mostly a character drama that happens to have zombies. The zombies add action and a threat to the protagonist, but the actual deadliness of the creatures isn't what caused the apocalypse.

(click to show/hide)
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 10:51:52 am »
Halloween does a good job of pulling off the slow-moving antagonist. His agonizingly slow pace makes you want to scream at whoever's about to get sliced.

Myers' pace is what annoys me most whenever I stop for two seconds to think about it. TVTropes' "offscreen teleportation" may as well be named "Michael Myers Movement". The movies always seem to show him getting places much faster than his onscreen pace would indicate.

I agree that with chitoryu about what makes the Walking Dead zombies effectively scary. In fact, to my mind, that's the only way slow zombies would become a believable threat at all.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

wrightway

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 02:43:04 pm »
I will say I have seen a lot of suspenseful, well done slow zombie movies. And a lot of trashy fast zombie movies. As well as there are bad slow and good fast depending on where you're looking. Speed does equal suspense, and I feel a lot of fast zombie movies traded their plot for cheap gore.

Again, fogie.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 04:51:39 pm »
I think slow zombies would be a lot scarier if they were nigh-invincible and nigh-unstoppable (in short, you can't really even do any damage to them without something specific, and very little can actually slow down their momentum.)

Basically, if you get even VAGUELY cornered, you're fucked.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline R. U. Sirius

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 07:45:24 pm »
I'd like to see someone do something that I read about in the book "Zombie CSI". Whatever the vector, when the body first reanimates, it's a fast zombie, assuming it didn't die of something that caused massive muscle or bone trauma. Then, as time progresses, decomposition sets in, and it slows down more and more.

THAT, I think, could make a cool story and a plausible way to include both types in the same setting.

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 08:38:43 pm »
I'd like to see someone do something that I read about in the book "Zombie CSI". Whatever the vector, when the body first reanimates, it's a fast zombie, assuming it didn't die of something that caused massive muscle or bone trauma. Then, as time progresses, decomposition sets in, and it slows down more and more.

THAT, I think, could make a cool story and a plausible way to include both types in the same setting.

The way I designed my GURPS virus is that it has multiple levels of infection that are determined based on near-innumerable factors at the time of infection and during the week-long incubation period. A full infection creates a shambler that's slow and downright idiotic, but extremely durable to damage (bodily damage can still kill it, but you'll want a headshot or decapitation to make it fast). A "fast zombie" is made when the infection only partially works, leaving the person with more of their human characteristics and giving them animalistic intelligence and their full speed and strength. However, they're also much more vulnerable to damage.

Scientifically, the 28 Days Later style is the most probable: a disease that simply drives the victim into a massive rage against every living thing they see. The problem with this kind of "zombie" is that the infected is not granted any special resilience. While they may have the classic resistance to pain that allows them to ignore otherwise fatal injuries until their body literally cannot operate any more, they're still vulnerable to infected wounds or disease, dehydration and starvation, blood loss, organ failure, hypothermia and heatstroke, and everything else that kills mundane humans. The dehydration is the biggest problem, as there's no guarantee that these infected will actually eat and drink. If they don't, they'll be dead within 3 days.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 09:58:06 pm »

Myers' pace is what annoys me most whenever I stop for two seconds to think about it. TVTropes' "offscreen teleportation" may as well be named "Michael Myers Movement". The movies always seem to show him getting places much faster than his onscreen pace would indicate.

I think that happens a decent bit more in later movies, but I don't think it's in the first one, which is what I was referring to. Either way, people who watch a horror movie are looking for fear, not complete realism, and that delivers.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Saturn500

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 11:42:03 pm »
I'm more curious about what the deal is with our zombie obsession. I mean, come on, if it has zombies in it, it will sell by the truckload! What's up with that?

Offline R. U. Sirius

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 11:43:52 pm »
Dude, it's obvious. The biggest religion in the country revolves around a guy who raised the dead, told his followers to eat his flesh and blood, then came back from the dead himself. Do the math!

Tangent: I once read a neat horror story about Lazarus post-resurrection. He was actually just a walking corpse...rotting and everything.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:00:41 am by R. U. Sirius »

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 11:46:10 pm »
It probably stems from our weird fear of death and how the idea of the dead walking is bolth scary/cool also zombies tend to be easier to kill in droves since they are you know dead. (This is purely speculation of a 17 year old with no training in any filed except music and some minor forms of biology)

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 11:59:06 pm »
Well, if zombies can dance...

Then they can move fast :)
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman