Author Topic: Multiplayer Video Game Rants: Healers and the need for expanded roles  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Multiplayer Video Game Rants: Healers and the need for expanded roles
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 05:21:54 am »
a) In TF2 co-operation may be heavily suggested but this has never meant that it is a certainty.

b) I am willing to accept that "pure" healers should be limited in situations where you play in a team. But I'd rather have a mechanic such as the "dual spec" in WoW where you change your play mode from damage to heal when going as a healer. I think that having a character that can do everything should be reserved for "Jack of all trades" classes while those purely focused on one aspect are superior in it. But that's just my preference.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Multiplayer Video Game Rants: Healers and the need for expanded roles
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 02:55:35 pm »
I mean that in TF2, the Medic always has someone to buddy up with where his existence will automatically improve their game while their existence improves his game.

In other games, though, you can't always be guaranteed to find a buddy.  Imagine being a pure healer at a level where there's basically one or two other players and they have no problem soloing and so don't feel the need to split experience.

Also, dual specs are a recent trend and so far I think only WoW has them.  Even "pure" healers in WoW have some inherent offensive capability, though, since damage and healing are powered by the same stat.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet