Author Topic: Gargoyles and Death Note  (Read 7949 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Gargoyles and Death Note
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 02:51:14 pm »
I just had a crossover fanfic idea: Xanatos with a Death Note.

Isn't that just Death Note?

I have the idea that Xanatos with a Death Note would result in him purposefully not using it except for very specific opportunities.

Or even just burning the damn thing so it can't be used against him.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 03:00:14 pm »
Xanatos would never ever use a Death Note.  Why?  Not as much fun.  This is the villain who plans for failure.  In fact he wants his plans to fail because while everyone's main plan is failing, THERE'S 1000 OTHER THINGS GOING ON!

Ironbite-he doesn't want to win because it's not the right time for him to win.

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 03:05:15 pm »
Since the topic is Gargoyles, I thought I'd reply.

Wouldn't most gargoyles be immune to Death Note? The ones that don't take names, at least. Even Goliath has been known to say "My kind have no names, but the humans call me Goliath." So, it's iffy if Goliath is immune. Elisa's "spell" should've made him immune to all magic, but we've seen that it doesn't.

And I agree, Xanatos would burn a Death Note so no one could use it on him. Demona, on the other hand, would start copying the phone book!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 03:06:50 pm »
They take names though.  That gives the Death Note some leeway in killing them.

Ironbite-once you take a name, that's it.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 03:08:45 pm »

Wouldn't most gargoyles be immune to Death Note? The ones that don't take names, at least. Even Goliath has been known to say "My kind have no names, but the humans call me Goliath." So, it's iffy if Goliath is immune. Elisa's "spell" should've made him immune to all magic, but we've seen that it doesn't.

And I agree, Xanatos would burn a Death Note so no one could use it on him. Demona, on the other hand, would start copying the phone book!

Wouldn't work. One of the rules of a Death Note is that you need to have an accurate image of the person in mind when you write their name, at least accurate enough to differentiate one John Smith from another. I seriously doubt Demona could put that many names to faces.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 03:10:33 pm »

Wouldn't work. One of the rules of a Death Note is that you need to have an accurate image of the person in mind when you write their name, at least accurate enough to differentiate one John Smith from another. I seriously doubt Demona could put that many names to faces.

... I wonder if a person with prosopagnosia could use the Death Note, in that case.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 03:18:20 pm »

Well, too bad for her, but good for the rest of New York! Elisa's probably screwed, though. Demona would settle for killing her if she couldn't kill all the humans. Unless....you have to know the person's middle name if they have one? I don't think middle names were ever brought up on Death Note since they're not a big deal in Japan. I can't swear to it, but I think Elisa's middle name might be Julia. I looked at a screengrab of her ID and unless I'm misreading, it looks like her middle name is Julia. At the time Elisa would've been born, there was a sit-com by that name I could see her mother liking.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 05:49:52 pm »

Well, too bad for her, but good for the rest of New York! Elisa's probably screwed, though. Demona would settle for killing her if she couldn't kill all the humans. Unless....you have to know the person's middle name if they have one? I don't think middle names were ever brought up on Death Note since they're not a big deal in Japan. I can't swear to it, but I think Elisa's middle name might be Julia. I looked at a screengrab of her ID and unless I'm misreading, it looks like her middle name is Julia. At the time Elisa would've been born, there was a sit-com by that name I could see her mother liking.

Light once kills someone writing down only their middle initial rather than full middle name (Lind L. Taylor).

Also: Xanatos would be an idiot to burn the Death Note so it can't be used against him. First, because it's immensely powerful and he of all people should be able to get a lot out of it. Second, because there are better ways of protecting yourself from a Death Note. I think one of the many weirder rules was that if someone's name is unintentionally misspelled 4 times on a Death Note, that person cannot be killed with that note. Xanatos should have zero trouble somehow getting someone to write down his name wrong, and he gets to keep the magic killing/controlling artefact while being sure it can't be used (directly) against him.
Σא

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 06:51:46 pm »

Light once kills someone writing down only their middle initial rather than full middle name (Lind L. Taylor).

Also: Xanatos would be an idiot to burn the Death Note so it can't be used against him. First, because it's immensely powerful and he of all people should be able to get a lot out of it. Second, because there are better ways of protecting yourself from a Death Note. I think one of the many weirder rules was that if someone's name is unintentionally misspelled 4 times on a Death Note, that person cannot be killed with that note. Xanatos should have zero trouble somehow getting someone to write down his name wrong, and he gets to keep the magic killing/controlling artefact while being sure it can't be used (directly) against him.

LOL! I can see that! Oh, I decided to start spelling my last name with a Z. April Fool! There's 2 n's in "Xanatos". April Fool! My middle name is Ichabod because my parents thought the initials would be cute. April Fool! I decided to go with the Welsh form of my name, Dafydd. You're not terribly bright, are you?

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 04:58:49 am »
In one of the movies, L wrote his name in the Death Note to protect himself.

Xanatos could do that. Unfortunately, he can't get an extended lifespan out of the deal.

I'd think he might want to try to get a Shinigami to look out for him. That's the best way to cover all of your bases. Until Light gets sick of its shit, I suppose.

Of course, even then, Xanatos chose Owen over Puck. He has a knack for doing the unexpected.

The mercenaries are part of why the castle fell apart. But I was thinking more the fact that his mercenaries stalked her through the park with the intent to kill.

Castle fell apart twice, I was thinking of the part at the end. And yeah, thinking back through, I guessed you might have been referring to that. Could be that the Illuminati covered for him. Could also be that Elisa didn't press charges for that because she thought it might get out what they were actually there for, which was tracking Goliath.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 08:28:32 am »

LOL! I can see that! Oh, I decided to start spelling my last name with a Z. April Fool! There's 2 n's in "Xanatos". April Fool! My middle name is Ichabod because my parents thought the initials would be cute. April Fool! I decided to go with the Welsh form of my name, Dafydd. You're not terribly bright, are you?
That would actually work.

In one of the movies, L wrote his name in the Death Note to protect himself.

Xanatos could do that. Unfortunately, he can't get an extended lifespan out of the deal.

I'd think he might want to try to get a Shinigami to look out for him. That's the best way to cover all of your bases. Until Light gets sick of its shit, I suppose.

Of course, even then, Xanatos chose Owen over Puck. He has a knack for doing the unexpected.

The mercenaries are part of why the castle fell apart. But I was thinking more the fact that his mercenaries stalked her through the park with the intent to kill.

Castle fell apart twice, I was thinking of the part at the end. And yeah, thinking back through, I guessed you might have been referring to that. Could be that the Illuminati covered for him. Could also be that Elisa didn't press charges for that because she thought it might get out what they were actually there for, which was tracking Goliath.
Downside was that he ended up dead really soon after that because, well, he's in a Death Note. Then again, he's dumb for his code name actually being the same as his real name (L Lawliet)
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 12:11:28 am »
I don't know how it turned out in the movie, but there are rules that Xanatos can use to make himself invulnerable. For instance, he could set his death well after it is feasible for him to die. Even if that wouldn't work, you can alter the time of death within 6 minutes & 40 seconds of writing it, therefore, he could use a computer to keep altering his own death. Also, if he's over 124, the Death Note will have no effect on him, which brings the time loop into question.

Then there are ass-random exceptions, like how B was born with the Shinigami Eyes.

Of course, it's also a rule that "All humans, without exception, eventually die." But that doesn't seem to be the case in Gargoyles, so you could probably suspend that one.

Speaking of Gargoyles rules, if you interfered with the death using sorcery, such as turning Xanatos to stone at 38 seconds, that may or may not negate the death.

I didn't see "L" coming, & you'd still have to guess "Lawliet."
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:19:57 am by Lithp »

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 04:47:33 am »
I still think like the 4-times thing would be the best plan. Additionally, any fragment of the Death Note works as well as the Death Note. So, he could keep the book itself locked up and hidden, with a binder full of Death Note Paper, and use that. If it gets destroyed, no worries, he can harvest more.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 06:27:44 am »
I still think like the 4-times thing would be the best plan. Additionally, any fragment of the Death Note works as well as the Death Note. So, he could keep the book itself locked up and hidden, with a binder full of Death Note Paper, and use that. If it gets destroyed, no worries, he can harvest more.
The danger is not it getting destroyed, the danger is it falling into the (to him) wrong hands.

Can a mod split off this derail, please?
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2013, 06:46:54 am »
The danger is not it getting destroyed, the danger is it falling into the (to him) wrong hands.
Can a mod split off this derail, please?
True. However, it would also allow him to destroy it without any danger of losing the power if he thought it was about to be taken.