Author Topic: E3 2014 Thread  (Read 9534 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: E3 2014 Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 01:40:09 am »
Right there with you.  May trade in my Wii and the Wiimotes for it... unless I absolutely need them for Wii Fit...

I think the Wii's wiimotes are compatible with the Wii U.

They are indeed. I'd highly recommend keeping at least one for Wii games.

Also, I'm more excited for these "GameCube" controllers over the GameCube adapter and controller rerelease since I want a Classic Controller anyway and I don't want to pay $40 for the official one due to it being out of print. After all, both Wii and Wii U games can use it, while only a few Wii games and likely only one Wii U game will use the actual GameCube controller.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 10:15:42 am »
http://time.com/2850146/shigeru-miyamoto-nintendo-interview/

New Star Fox for the Wii U, and it's actually bringing back the transforming vehicle mechanic back from Star Fox 2, it seems.

Might be a bit too gimmicky for some people but I don't give a fuck! :D
Really, I want to see more Arwing variants and get answers on Jame's tenuous status.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:33:22 am by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 11:11:13 am »
So, which press conference did you think was the best?

Personally, I think Nintendo won. This is the closest I've ever been to wanting to buy a Wii U, and if I had cash left over after upgrading my computer, I just might. Splatoon or whatever its called looks super interesting.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 01:34:37 pm »
If we're judging things by how fired up fans got, then Nintendo won clear as day.

However the cautious, second-guessing side of me wants to say that it's close between Nintendo and Sony, because Sony did show some nice stuff, though (though nothing really groundbreaking except a lot of remakes of a lot of games that were otherwise forgotten)

It's no question that Microsoft and EA bombed.

ADD:

Okay, so basically, people are calling Ubisoft on their shitty reasons for not including women in Assassin's Creed Unity multiplayer.

Ubisoft has basically come out and said that "women would be too hard to animate."  Cue animators and players alike saying "BULLLLLLSHIT", including Jonathon Cooper, one of the animators for Naughty Dog.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:14:17 pm by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 01:12:25 am »
Their second explanation makes a lot more sense. The idea is that co-op is supposed to be seemless with the story and all players are supposed to see their character as Arno. Ok. Sure. Except that no one would CARE if the co-op missions weren't seemless and it might have in fact added to the story if we had a more diverse cast of assassins.

Also, too hard to animate? It's not like they have Aveline, oh wait.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 02:02:47 am »
That Mortal Kombat X gameplay trailer...is it my imagination or is one (well two strictly speaking) of the new characters basically just a copy of Master Blaster from Beyond Thunder Dome?  Seems a bit plagarisy to me.

That said, I'm liking Scorpion and Sub-Zeros new looks.  A lot.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 03:18:38 am »
Well, that's because you can't just get beyond Thunder Dome.

I'll go sit in the corner now.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2014, 03:23:51 am »
I will say that I am disappointed in no new Metroid, if only because there were some people here who were looking forward to a new Metroid game.

Though they still have all year to announce it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2014, 08:06:28 am »
Well, that's because you can't just get beyond Thunder Dome.

I'll go sit in the corner now.

What are doing in that corner? Get over here!

Yeah I'll join you in the corner too now.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 10:34:21 pm »
Okay, so basically, people are calling Ubisoft on their shitty reasons for not including women in Assassin's Creed Unity multiplayer.

Ubisoft has basically come out and said that "women would be too hard to animate."  Cue animators and players alike saying "BULLLLLLSHIT", including Jonathon Cooper, one of the animators for Naughty Dog.

Here's where I'm confused. Most people I hear are saying the reason they gave is bullshit, and I have no reason to doubt that, but then it raises the question of what the actual reason was.

The standard explanation probably involves saying Ubisoft doesn't care about equal representation of women, which is probably true, but they almost certainly do care about PR. Including female characters gets them instant praise from the Sarkeesian et al. crowd, not including them gets them instant condemnation. They have to know this. So, if it really costs them very little to do it, then why not? Did they just not think about it very much? Do they think gamers will boycott them for giving in to feminist pressure? Do they think the relative PR gains are negligible?
Σא

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 03:10:02 pm »

Oh my god, this reminds me of the rationalization the animators at the Disney Animation Studios gave when explaining why they were recycling Rapunzel's model for Anna and Elsa when developing Frozen. That pissed me off enough to putting off that film and that especially pissed me off because they weren't reluctant to model and animate Sargent Calhoun from scratch for their previous feature Wreck-It Ralph. Those of us tainted by the honest preview (not that stupid fan poster that used Tinkerbell), we all saw no reason for them to be that lazy.

"Aaahuhh, wiminz are so hard to model and animate, huhhhrr..."
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:11:57 pm by Alehksunos »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 03:20:32 pm »

Oh my god, this reminds me of the rationalization the animators at the Disney Animation Studios gave when explaining why they were recycling Rapunzel's model for Anna and Elsa when developing Frozen. That pissed me off enough to putting off that film and that especially pissed me off because they weren't reluctant to model and animate Sargent Calhoun from scratch for their previous feature Wreck-It Ralph. Those of us tainted by the honest preview (not that stupid fan poster that used Tinkerbell), we all saw no reason for them to be that lazy.

"Aaahuhh, wiminz are so hard to model and animate, huhhhrr..."

Actually, according to something I just read, the software that the animators were using would literally force them to use the same model for all female characters.  The lead animator complained about it.

The only male character model I think that I remember them re-using was in Monsters University where they used the same model between a major character (a middle-aged octopus guy) and a minor character who had a prominent appearance as a boring professor.

...You wouldn't notice because they still made them look very different.

(However, I think the pro-feminism message of Frozen still isn't negated by the lack of varied models for female characters.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:22:06 pm by Magus Silveresti »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2014, 03:33:36 pm »
I am not hyped about the next Assassin's creed game, haven't played any of them yet in fact, but the song on the trailer turned into an earworm.

The trailer video itself was kinda meh, there were a few cool bits and the animation was good. Actually, there were several bits in the trailer that were quite artfully done or cool but for reasons unknown the only thing that got me excited about it was the song.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBo-uQKuw3Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBo-uQKuw3Y</a>

The original version was quite dreadful but this cover is awesome.

...Other than that, nothing has really caught my eye from E3 news.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2014, 07:33:57 pm »
I am not hyped about the next Assassin's creed game, haven't played any of them yet in fact, but the song on the trailer turned into an earworm.

The trailer video itself was kinda meh, there were a few cool bits and the animation was good. Actually, there were several bits in the trailer that were quite artfully done or cool but for reasons unknown the only thing that got me excited about it was the song.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBo-uQKuw3Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBo-uQKuw3Y</a>

The original version was quite dreadful but this cover is awesome.

...Other than that, nothing has really caught my eye from E3 news.

Huh, that's pretty much my exact thoughts as well. That song is really the only mildly noteworthy thing to come out of E3 this year.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2014, 09:49:23 pm »
Oh, by the way.

...Yeah.  Call of Duty, CALL OF FUCKING DUTY got it right where Assassin's Creed, otherwise thought to be a bastion of diversity, failed and failed hard.

I don't know how to feel about this.