Author Topic: Fun times in Syria  (Read 30836 times)

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
Re: Fun times in Syria
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2013, 07:22:07 pm »
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Sunday portrayed the current conflict in Syria as one between the government of President Bashar Al Assad, who Paul said "has protected Christians for a number of decades," and "Islamic rebels," who Paul said "have been attacking Christians" and are aligned with Al Qaeda.

"I think the Islamic rebels winning is a bad idea for the Christians, and all of a sudden we'll have another Islamic state where Christians are persecuted," Paul said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/01/rand-paul-syria_n_3852644.html

Wait, is he saying we should be defending the guy in charge? The guy who ordered the killing of his citizens for no reason? The guy who supposedly used illegal weapons against his own people?? THAT'S the side we should be on??

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2013, 07:33:54 pm »
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Sunday portrayed the current conflict in Syria as one between the government of President Bashar Al Assad, who Paul said "has protected Christians for a number of decades," and "Islamic rebels," who Paul said "have been attacking Christians" and are aligned with Al Qaeda.

"I think the Islamic rebels winning is a bad idea for the Christians, and all of a sudden we'll have another Islamic state where Christians are persecuted," Paul said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Wait, is he saying we should be defending the guy in charge? The guy who ordered the killing of his citizens for no reason? The guy who supposedly used illegal weapons against his own people?? THAT'S the side we should be on??
Christians. Those are the only humans in the eyes of Republicans.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2013, 10:23:46 pm »

Rand Paul, if you want to argue against intervention, don't make it sound like you're okay with dictators as long as they are "protecting Christians." I'm against intervention because it's a waste of money, a waste of lives, and we don't need yet another war in the Middle East (the third in little more than a decade). I don't oppose it because Assad is protecting Christians while persecuting people of other faiths. Contrary to what Rand Paul is implying (probably not intentionally, but it's how he's coming off) Christians aren't the only people who deserve freedom.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2013, 11:56:21 pm »
It's Rand Paul so he is being intentional

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2013, 10:00:13 am »
Ooh, now Russia's delivering some advanced anti-ship and anti-air missile systems to Syria. The anti-ship missiles can hit targets as far away as Cyprus (where the US has several military bases), and advanced targeting systems that, in theory, will have an easy time striking naval vessels. The AA platforms, as well, appear to be more advanced than what US forces have had to deal with in the past.

The following weeks are going to be so much fun to watch.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2013, 01:00:10 pm »
...We're going to end up going to war with Russia, aren't we?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2013, 01:15:17 pm »
No, it's just posturing. Russia gains nothing from a conflict with the US.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2013, 02:13:24 pm »
Yeah but are those state of the art systems or cold war surplus?

Ironbite-my money's on the latter...Putin needs to stop trying to back this moron.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #158 on: September 07, 2013, 02:17:37 pm »
Yeah but are those state of the art systems or cold war surplus?

Ironbite-my money's on the latter...Putin needs to stop trying to back this moron.
I'm not familiar enough with Russian/Soviet weaponry to say how advanced they are, only that the information I've found says that this tech is more advanced than anything the US has come up against in the Middle East.

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2013, 02:20:19 pm »
That's not saying much dude.

Ironbite-I mean, the highest form of tech in the Middle East right now that's not US Military is a rock tied to a stick.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #160 on: September 07, 2013, 02:28:07 pm »
I can only go by what I've found.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #161 on: September 07, 2013, 07:51:06 pm »
Most of the stuff that has been given to Syria was Cold War surplus. Take of that what you will. I doubt Putin would give away state-of-the-art stuff. He needs it for Mother Russia.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #162 on: September 07, 2013, 07:58:55 pm »
The P-800 Oniks is pretty new. The problem- and this is the problem with all anti-ship-cruise-missile systems- is that 50% of the US Navy's effort is spent to stopping them. You're not going to sink anything with 72 Oniks, it'll be detected three hours off and then blown up by CIWS.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2013, 08:32:33 pm »
The AA is pointless, too, if the proposed self guided cruise missile attack is used. Unless somebody has an anti-cruise missile-cruise missile, or magic tech rocket drones with laser lances, a Tomahawk is just gonna glide right through and go boom.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2013, 03:23:18 am »
Does anyone think this Syria debacle is another distraction from the NSA issue?
What is, is not; what is not, is.