Author Topic: Democratic Primaries Thread  (Read 31363 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Democratic Primaries Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2020, 12:13:21 am »
So, it looks like Jill Stein has started her traditional grifting campaign by repeating Bernie Bro rhetoric to siphon votes away from Biden in the general election. Not sure what she's trying to accomplish this year since she's not running apparently.

Dr. Stein's shtick at this point is "if you keep electing moderate Democrats the Republicans will get crazier and crazier and the next one of them who wins will be even more insane than Trump".

Stein's shtick is "give me MORE ass to kiss, Mr. Putin! I can do better than Mr. Trump!"

So what you're saying is that she wants to be the next Republican president.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2020, 12:54:55 am »
If current partial results in Idaho and Michigan hold up, Sanders should drop out.

And I say that as someone who thinks he is substantially superior to Biden as a candidate for the general election.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2020, 12:58:19 am »
Could how noxious Sanders' supporters are be playing a role in his defeat?

I mean its not exactly been kept quiet that he's been around the pit of grotesqueries that is Chapo Trap House.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2020, 06:30:57 am »
It seems like Bernie's campaign fell apart after he said Castro did some good things for Cuba. It made him seem like a communist sympathizer when people already accuse him of being a communist.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2020, 10:07:01 am »
It seems like Bernie's campaign fell apart after he said Castro did some good things for Cuba. It made him seem like a communist sympathizer when people already accuse him of being a communist.

Possibly, but, as he pointed out, Obama said the same thing he did (about Castro and literacy rates).

Sanders' campaign fell apart because this was their plan:

Plan A: Lock up 30% of the vote and rely on the ego of their opponents to keep them in the race after they couldn't win, thus splitting the vote and pushing most of them below the 15% threshold for delegates.

Betting on ego usually isn't a terrible bet in Presidential politics, but if that fails (as it did)...

Plan B: Get young voters energized so that their turnout will match that of older voters.

This was the sketchier plan since experience indicates that young people simply do not vote in the numbers that older people do.

If young people don't turn out in sufficient numbers (which they didn't)...

Plan C: What Plan C?
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2020, 12:15:57 pm »
Is it just me but does the Democratic party seem like the party of conservatism now. While the Republicans are moving closer to fascist authoritarianism? I feel like there is no liberal party in the US at this time, and anything progressive seems too far left. Like it would take a long time to get there.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2020, 12:28:31 pm »
I think that's a pretty heavy mischaracterization. The Democratic party is not nearly as left wing as I'd like, but it's wrong to say that it's a right wing party. Even Biden's platform is way more left wing than the memes would have you think.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2020, 09:11:22 pm »
Left-wing in what context, though? As Thomas Piketty noted, Sanders and Warren are moderate social democrats from a European perspective, which is left-wing to be sure, but not radically so, just mildly centre-left.

From that perspective (ie the perspective of most of the world's stable, developed liberal democracies), Biden is right-wing and the Republicans are off-the-charts batshit insane.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2020, 02:24:54 am »
I mean, yes, by European standards, Sanders and Warren aren't radical, but that's not what I said.

If you listen to the Twitter memes, you'd think that Biden was almost or just as right wing as Trump, which, of course, is completely fucking absurd. The democrats SHOULD start moving left, I don't disagree with that, but I also think it's somewhat inevitable seeing how much support someone like Sanders has among people under the age of 40.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2020, 03:02:29 am »
Biden has the minority vote pretty secured. Which is not surprising. Sanders' base is very white. A lot Hispanic voters were alienated by his comments about Castro and a lot of black voters see him as just another old white man telling them what to believe. If Biden wins, it's because Sanders, like in 2016, can't secure the minority vote.

Won't stop the Bernie Bros from calling Warren a spoiler. Like they're already doing. I guess it's too much to ask that they just try to realize that some people just. Don't. Like. Bernie. Sanders.

You don't need to like a person to vote for the best, most beneficial policy and least harm. Politics isn't about who you'd have a beer with. This comment also assumes a lot about Hispanic people based on a loud minority of Florida-dwelling super conservative Cuban diaspora people who typically don't even vote democrat in the first place.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2020, 12:49:45 am »
I really, really hope that the primary elections still, for some insane reason, being held tomorrow aren't the start of a Sanders turnaround because old people stay away from the polls due to COVID-19. That would be the most Pyrrhic victory imaginable.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2020, 02:00:02 am »
Nope, it actually looks like it's pretty much just setting things in stone for Biden. Sanders had his ass handed to him. I've been telling people that Sanders had zero chance in Florida and, surprise!, he had zero chance in Florida. It's almost like people there don't like when you praise Castro.

And I'm sure it's just a coincidence that parts of the Sanders camp are crying conspiracy about the primaries not being delayed.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2020, 02:04:39 am »
Sanders supporters will be sitting at home on November 3 crying conspiracy theories.

Just enough of them that Biden will lose.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2020, 03:27:57 am »
There's a real attitude of entitlement there. If they can't have their Great Progressive Messiah, then fuck everything. Fuck the country, fuck the future, ME WAN MUH BERNIE!!!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2020, 03:48:56 am »
Because for a lot of them, they see no future with either Trump or Biden, because neither of them will adequately (if at all) address student debt, medical debt, or climate change.

Biden represents a return to the pre-Trump status quo, which was bad enough that it ended with Donald Trump becoming President.