Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2067661 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7035 on: March 23, 2014, 02:22:07 pm »
A while back, someone (I think Lizard) posted a Tumblr where a girl was receiving downright ridiculous amounts of anon hate, and encouraged us to go follow her and send her some love. So I did.

She's continuing to receive the hate. But more than that, she's not turning off anon. She's still responding to every hateful message she gets. She's continuing to expose herself to it.

I asked her why on Earth she's keeping herself open to it. She says that she thinks that she'll "lose" or "prove the haters right" if she cuts herself off from their messages or leaves Tumblr, and she doesn't want to miss stuff like contests for shiny Pokemon on the website.

I'm losing my ability to be concerned about her predicament. She's very obviously being hurt badly by all of this, but she's willingly exposing herself to mental anguish that looks like it could be driving her to do something very bad to herself.....over Pokemon and responding to questions.

When white knighting fails, the only thing left to do is grab some popcorn and watch the show. I don't know the details, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the "anon hate" comes from people that don't actually hate her but are entertained by her outbursts.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #7036 on: March 23, 2014, 04:36:35 pm »
A while back, someone (I think Lizard) posted a Tumblr where a girl was receiving downright ridiculous amounts of anon hate, and encouraged us to go follow her and send her some love. So I did.

She's continuing to receive the hate. But more than that, she's not turning off anon. She's still responding to every hateful message she gets. She's continuing to expose herself to it.

I asked her why on Earth she's keeping herself open to it. She says that she thinks that she'll "lose" or "prove the haters right" if she cuts herself off from their messages or leaves Tumblr, and she doesn't want to miss stuff like contests for shiny Pokemon on the website.

I'm losing my ability to be concerned about her predicament. She's very obviously being hurt badly by all of this, but she's willingly exposing herself to mental anguish that looks like it could be driving her to do something very bad to herself.....over Pokemon and responding to questions.
She's not the brightest knife in the shed.

I mean she's nice, but she's kinda clueless about thing, granted she has numerous mental disorders and probably has trouble with social interaction.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7037 on: March 23, 2014, 10:24:09 pm »

I mean she's nice, but she's kinda clueless about thing, granted she has numerous mental disorders and probably has trouble with social interaction.

Like, I can get someone being so deeply affected by the hate. Myself, I don't take it personally most of the time and I'm fine ignoring it, but a lot of people (generally the more vulnerable ones) are seriously hurt by people mocking them.

But seriously, at some point the behavior just gets ridiculous. All in the name of Pokemon contests and responding to nice anon messages, you're going to willingly expose yourself to a ton of stuff that you aren't emotionally strong enough to handle and potentially drive yourself mad? That's halfway on the way to being a self-inflicted mental injury.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #7038 on: March 23, 2014, 10:41:00 pm »

Like, I can get someone being so deeply affected by the hate. Myself, I don't take it personally most of the time and I'm fine ignoring it, but a lot of people (generally the more vulnerable ones) are seriously hurt by people mocking them.

But seriously, at some point the behavior just gets ridiculous. All in the name of Pokemon contests and responding to nice anon messages, you're going to willingly expose yourself to a ton of stuff that you aren't emotionally strong enough to handle and potentially drive yourself mad? That's halfway on the way to being a self-inflicted mental injury.
I think what's going on is she has extremely low self esteem so what would just be a generic anon hate note to us is serious to her.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7039 on: March 23, 2014, 11:22:11 pm »

I think what's going on is she has extremely low self esteem so what would just be a generic anon hate note to us is serious to her.

Like I said, I understand her being so hurt by the hate. What's less understandable is that she does little to nothing to actually prevent it, insists on responding to every single troll and abusive anon message, and has seriously used shiny Eevees and "letting the haters win" as an excuse for not trying to get herself out of such a hostile environment.

I mean, Tumblr isn't the same thing as an abusive relationship or something like that. If shit gets too hot, you can leave with no repercussions. Unless you're quite mentally unwell, there's no fear that will keep you blogging and receiving anon hate. She has so many easy, painless options for getting herself away from it but outright refuses to abandon it. It's the most unhealthy way of dealing with a problem: willingly doing nothing.

It seems cruel, but I just can't be arsed to cry for her.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #7040 on: March 23, 2014, 11:40:53 pm »
I just encountered the literal most Reddit boy on tumblr today.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #7041 on: March 24, 2014, 04:33:47 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #7042 on: March 26, 2014, 09:10:34 pm »
When people assume that folded arms are a hostile stance.

I just dont like my arms dangling
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7043 on: March 26, 2014, 09:15:30 pm »

That and it helps keep my fingers warm.  But, yeah, people have a rather irritating habit of misinterpreting my moods, as well.  They seem to think my normal, neutral face means I'm angry, for some reason.  Sorry if I don't smile all the time...you know who else smiles all the time?

YEAH.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:17:52 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #7044 on: March 26, 2014, 09:45:35 pm »

That and it helps keep my fingers warm.  But, yeah, people have a rather irritating habit of misinterpreting my moods, as well.  They seem to think my normal, neutral face means I'm angry, for some reason.  Sorry if I don't smile all the time...you know who else smiles all the time?

YEAH.
Seems like you have a bad case of RBF (Resting Bitch Face). There's no cure, but it can be treated by not giving a fuck.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #7045 on: March 26, 2014, 10:35:38 pm »

YEAH.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #7046 on: March 27, 2014, 01:25:20 am »
My wife interprets my lost in thought face as anger, which is unfortunate, as I spend a considerable amount of my leisure time just thinking about stuff.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7047 on: March 27, 2014, 08:09:07 am »

(click to show/hide)

YEAH.
Seems like you have a bad case of RBF (Resting Bitch Face). There's no cure, but it can be treated by not giving a fuck.

Ha, don't worry, I stopped giving a fuck quite some time ago.  Its more of a minor annoyance when it pops up.  Though, with as few general fucks as I give about "societal standards" (outside regular old decency and not being a raging cunt), I feel like I'm older than I am, sometimes.  Its like, I see people at or near my age still worrying about the shit they wear being fashionable or matching or whatever...and I laugh.  I happily go out in public in a mix of khakis, a tattered Pink Floyd hoodie (Dark Side of the Moon, to be precise, a parting gift from my brother when I moved out), work boots, a choker adorned with an Order of the Silver Serpent medallion (another gift from my brother, see previous note about the hoodie), a steel ring on my middle finger with a lizard carved on it, and a steel ring with an ankh on it.  Combine that with the fact that, unless its put up with a tie, my hair naturally likes to go fucking everywhere, and you have a dude that seriously gives only about half a fuck regarding appearance outside a nice restaurant or job-related function (incl. interviews).
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #7048 on: March 27, 2014, 09:37:56 am »

YEAH.

Yep... I've got it too.  Solidarity! 

I also, when standing around or waiting, tend to put my hands in my pants pockets.  For the same reason as Hof up there.   I just don't really like it when my arms are dangling. 

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #7049 on: March 27, 2014, 08:59:26 pm »
I have the kind of migraine that feels like having a steel pipe jammed from your neck through the top of your skull, but I've got at least another 2-3 hours of work that I have to do tonight.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."