Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2066899 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7155 on: April 16, 2014, 03:48:15 pm »
Aren't bald eagles extremely protected since they're a national symbol and all?  That's before you count them also being endangered.

They've been reclassified from that status, which is great news, over all. They are under joint species stewardship between the US and Canada. And yes, they are the treasured national symbol. However, when I say I'm worried about connected rich folks getting riled about a missing Chihuahua or seeing a kitten in an eagle's talons, remember that uber asshole Rick Scott is the governor here, and that he has systematically appointed assholes to all the executive bureau positions he can, including Fish and Game. Hence, the needless slaughter of every black bear in the immediate region of every bear attack incident. Bald Eagles are fair game, basically, with this kind of reactionary idiocy being SOP under Gov. Scott. Regardless, a lot of these douchebag neighbors I'm referring to are deer, boar, duck and pheasant hunters with the means and skills needed to just shoot a bird because stupid douchebag.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/bald_eagle/lifehistory

Bald Eagles are classified by the IUCN with a tag of LC, "Least Concern"

In 1978 the bird was listed for protection under the Endangered Species Act. Since 1980, gentler treatment by humans along with the banning of DDT (the bird’s main pesticide threat) have led to a dramatic resurgence. By the late 1990s, breeding populations of Bald Eagles could be found throughout most of North America. In June 2007, the bird’s recovery prompted its removal from the Endangered Species list.

I imagine that even conservatives would complain about people wanting to get rid of bald eagles, what with the whole "MURICA" thing.

Never underestimate how cruel conservatives can truly be and to what ends they'll justify killing something.

Ironbite-even a sacred national image.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7156 on: April 16, 2014, 04:49:29 pm »
Aren't bald eagles extremely protected since they're a national symbol and all?  That's before you count them also being endangered.

They've been reclassified from that status, which is great news, over all. They are under joint species stewardship between the US and Canada. And yes, they are the treasured national symbol. However, when I say I'm worried about connected rich folks getting riled about a missing Chihuahua or seeing a kitten in an eagle's talons, remember that uber asshole Rick Scott is the governor here, and that he has systematically appointed assholes to all the executive bureau positions he can, including Fish and Game. Hence, the needless slaughter of every black bear in the immediate region of every bear attack incident. Bald Eagles are fair game, basically, with this kind of reactionary idiocy being SOP under Gov. Scott. Regardless, a lot of these douchebag neighbors I'm referring to are deer, boar, duck and pheasant hunters with the means and skills needed to just shoot a bird because stupid douchebag.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/bald_eagle/lifehistory

Bald Eagles are classified by the IUCN with a tag of LC, "Least Concern"

In 1978 the bird was listed for protection under the Endangered Species Act. Since 1980, gentler treatment by humans along with the banning of DDT (the bird’s main pesticide threat) have led to a dramatic resurgence. By the late 1990s, breeding populations of Bald Eagles could be found throughout most of North America. In June 2007, the bird’s recovery prompted its removal from the Endangered Species list.

I imagine that even conservatives would complain about people wanting to get rid of bald eagles, what with the whole "MURICA" thing.
Most conservatives wouldn't.  Unfortunately, Florida is run by complete assholes.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #7157 on: April 16, 2014, 05:19:32 pm »
Would it really have been so hard for humans to evolve so that they can re-absorb unused placenta instead of shedding it? For the penis-bearers in the audience, the other half of us grow, shed, and re-grow a new organ every twenty-eight days. THIS IS NOT OKAY.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #7158 on: April 17, 2014, 09:25:15 pm »
I keep getting in to really expensive hobbies. First Warhammer 40K, now Gundam models. Sure, it's fun for me, but my wallet is crying.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7159 on: April 18, 2014, 04:43:48 am »
Mount and Blade. Specifically, some asshole bandit getting a lucky head shot with a throwing axe, I get captured and by the time I escape, I realise that the bastards have stolen my boots.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7160 on: April 18, 2014, 07:56:59 pm »
Two things I had to get a filling (and replace an old one.) my mouth was pretty much numb for the better half of a day and now that I've finished working on a fan fiction chapter FF.net won't let me send in the document and I have a headache so not a good time for me.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #7161 on: April 19, 2014, 12:16:51 am »
So three bottles of beer make me sick now. Good to know... (technically two and a half, but like hell I'm gonna waste drink.)

EDIT: this beer is 8% ABV, which is stronger than normal, so maybe that's what did it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:18:52 am by Solar Pendra »

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7162 on: April 19, 2014, 12:41:15 am »
So three bottles of beer make me sick now. Good to know... (technically two and a half, but like hell I'm gonna waste drink.)

EDIT: this beer is 8% ABV, which is stronger than normal, so maybe that's what did it.

Only if you have a rather low tolerance for alcohol. Even at 8% ABV, most people won't suffer real negative effects after just three bottles.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7163 on: April 19, 2014, 12:44:18 am »
Would it really have been so hard for humans to evolve so that they can re-absorb unused placenta instead of shedding it? For the penis-bearers in the audience, the other half of us grow, shed, and re-grow a new organ every twenty-eight days. THIS IS NOT OKAY.

Nature tends to go for the quickest and cheapest solution more often than not, unfortunately. Resorbing it would probably cost more energy that you'd get back in return.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 02:49:39 am by Random Guy »

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #7164 on: April 19, 2014, 12:51:40 am »

Only if you have a rather low tolerance for alcohol. Even at 8% ABV, most people won't suffer real negative effects after just three bottles.
I am a lightweight, yeah. I've been known to go on forums and make an ass of myself on forums after more than three beers. andfdsf i tyttped likie thiss (that was exaggerated but it was something like that)

\Oddly enough I only felt sick when I lay down. I guess gravity decided to try to send some of my stomach contents back j up.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7165 on: April 19, 2014, 11:18:30 am »
Could've just been some residuals in the beer, especially if it was a bock or a stout, or a grain type you haven't had before, like all wheat or lots of grains of paradise or whatever. Or, if just a pilsner or lager, if it was allowed to get hot or near frozen at some point in shipping or stocking, it could go slightly rancid, even if the brew date/consume by date wasn't passed prime. Wine goes bad in the bottle from heat or freezing damage as well, especially reds that are shipped at minimum cost, meaning not in insulated and/or refrigerated shipping containers. These problems are caused when the distributors or importers are trying to save money on shipping. They just hope the shipment makes it alright, with no obvious physical damage like burst bottles, and sneak in special instructions into the bills of lading about avoiding loading the container in certain areas of the ship, or leaving it out on an open air dock, or other disqualifiers, so they can claim damages against the shipping companies should their gamble fail. They will then sell the cases to the local distributors, who pass the cases to the stores and restaurants, and finally on to you. Nobody will have checked by sampling a bottle from a random case along the way, because everyone since the importer loaded the cartons simply assumes due diligence and care was taken in shipping the wine or beer by ship/rail/semi-truck properly in reefer or at least insulated containers.  Typical, ruthless and irresponsible executive tactics nowadays.

http://www.ukpandi.com/loss-prevention/article/730-12-10-containerisation-transport-of-perishables-without-refrigeration-usa-2074/

Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7166 on: April 19, 2014, 11:39:38 pm »

Nature tends to go for the quickest and cheapest solution more often than not, unfortunately. Resorbing it would probably cost more energy that you'd get back in return.

There was a thing on Quora the other day about the evolution of human menstruation: http://www.quora.com/Menstruation/What-is-the-evolutionary-benefit-or-purpose-of-having-periods

The answer is more complicated than you'd expect, involving adversarial relationships between the mother and the foetus during pregnancy.

(Quora can sometimes be an ass about reading without an account, if that's giving you trouble and don't want to sign up you can check the relevant sources here, here and here.)

And I'm sure all the dispassionate scientific analysis is really helping Fish deal with it.
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7167 on: April 20, 2014, 02:54:19 am »
That people in this day and age still deny that Global Warming is a reality.  Or deny that it's caused by man.

And the recent belief that ADHD was made up.  Considering that my ADHD has only gotten worse with age, this is particularly infuriating.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7168 on: April 20, 2014, 09:40:33 am »
Quite a few things about my gym annoy me:

1) People who take the heaviest fixed weight barbell up to the studio and don't bring it back, so if you want to use it you have to interuprt a class, take it trhough 2 fire doors that open towards you (so you can't just push them open with you body or foot) down a flight of stairs and through a third firedoor before you've even started the exercise.  You're kanckerd before you've even started.  Inconsiderate pricks.

2) People who use two benches to place a barbell on to do dead lifts, especially during peak times.  That means there's now 3 peices of equipment that no one else can use so that one person can do one exercise.  Why do you even need those benches?  If you can't lift the barbell off the floor then it's too heavy.  Stop down a few KG's and let other people use those benches you don't need, you inconsiderte prick.

3) People who take 3 or more peices of equipment at once, like 3 fixed weight barbells, and who then don't offer to let you go in between as it were and use the item/s they're not currently in the process of using when you ask them if they're using them all...again, especially at peak times. You're just hogging equipment other people want to use, you inconsiderate prick.

4) People who use the same piece/s of equipment for stupidly long periods of time during peak times.  I mean do you really need to spend over half of your entire session doing your biceps and only your biceps?  Other people have paid to use that stuff too, you inconsiderate prick.

TL;DR - I hate inconsiderate pricks in the gym lol.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #7169 on: April 20, 2014, 09:52:33 am »
And I'm sure all the dispassionate scientific analysis is really helping Fish deal with it.
It is, actually. I've always been curious as to what separates humans from most other placental mammals in that regard, and now I know. Thanks! It's a funny little reminder that Mother Nature is more like the folks who rig ugly-but-functional "jury rigs" than any grand designer with any sort of plan.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:05:46 am by Saving Fish From Drowning »
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!