Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2066885 times)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7545 on: July 01, 2014, 01:03:16 am »
People who accuse you of being a homophobe because you don't share their "omg these two male characters are totally gay for each other" head canon.

Has there ever been a character in the history of fiction that someone somewhere hasn't claimed is gay?

Not since the advent of Tumblr, at least.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7546 on: July 01, 2014, 01:29:38 am »
Speaking of things that annoy me, people who treat all of tumblr like it's full of nothing but SJWs.

No, there's actually a massive amount of people on the site.  A lot of them are good people.  And it's not even a case of the SJWs being a vocal minority because everyone's vocal.

Tumblr tends to create circles of people, though.  SJWs will reblog SJWs and SJs, and Anti-SJWs will reblog SJWs and other Anti-SJWs, and if you only stick around SJWs, they are the only people you will see.  Thus creates a confirmation bias.

Same for if you only hang around the fandom circles of Tumblr.  You'll only see that circle of Tumblr.

Truth is, Tumblr's... surprisingly a lot like people in real life.  Diverse and prone to herding.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7547 on: July 01, 2014, 02:15:46 am »
Don't know if my little quip set that off, but for what it's worth, I'm on Tumblr and following a pretty diverse set of blogs, so I know it's not just SJWs and fandom wank.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7548 on: July 01, 2014, 02:39:36 am »
Don't know if my little quip set that off, but for what it's worth, I'm on Tumblr and following a pretty diverse set of blogs, so I know it's not just SJWs and fandom wank.

Actually, I had completely forgotten your post even mentioned Tumblr.

It was a bad coincidence XD
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7549 on: July 01, 2014, 04:14:30 am »
People who accuse you of being a homophobe because you don't share their "omg these two male characters are totally gay for each other" head canon.

Has there ever been a character in the history of fiction that someone somewhere hasn't claimed is gay?

Not since the advent of Tumblr, at least.

Even before tumblr I remember it wasn't uncommon to hear people "theorise" that a character was gay.  Sherlock Holmes is one example that springs to mind, although I always felt that Holmes was rather asexual if anything.  What is people's fasination with the sexual orinatation of fictional characters?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7550 on: July 01, 2014, 01:56:29 pm »
I completely forgot to mention this one.

Awhile back, there were Jehovah's Witnesses that had set up a stall outside of one of the two entrances to our semi-local supermarket.

They weren't actively harassing anyone, which is good, but still... I don't even know if they had permission to be there.  The owner of this particular building is most definitely not a JW, though I'm afraid he's not much better than one (he's a fundie Christian in this hunter culture.  We live in an area where Duck Dynasty is more popular than One Direction)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:01:52 pm by Magus Silveresti »

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #7551 on: July 01, 2014, 03:40:09 pm »
One of my roommates (we'll call him Jerry) bothers the shit out of me. Let me explain how:

- He shouts. All. The. Time. He shouts at me, he shouts at his dog, he shouts at other roommates (letting me listen in on otherwise private conversations), he shouts at the TV, he's always shouting at something or someone and I can't fucking stand it. It's not even mean shouting, it's stuff like "OH THIS IS SUCH A GREAT EPISODE OF STAR TREK I JUST LOVE STAR TREK THIS IS SO NICE HEY WHY ARE YOU LEAVING"
- He doesn't understand that sometimes I don't want to talk to him/be around him and that's okay. It doesn't mean I'm an asshole or that I want him to die in a hole, it means I don't want to talk to him because it's emotionally exhausting and I'm emotionally exhausted. I'm not avoiding/ignoring him because I don't like him, I'm doing it because I'm tired. I dislike him because he's convinced everything I do has something to do with him (and because he's consistently obnoxious).
- He touches me. Not in a sexual or creepy way, just an uncomfortable way.
- He repeats himself incessantly and forces others to do the same.
- His clothes are about ten years old and always look/smell dirty. They're also full of holes and grease, and it's just nasty.
- When he found out that I was stressed after having sex with someone, he shouted at me that if I'd "kept [my] damn knees shut" I wouldn't have this problem.
- He wears Crocs and thinks the Star Wars prequels were good movies.
- He fucking BLASTS country/soft rock loud enough that, just in the time I've lived there, we've had thirty-five noise complaints.

And there's more, but I've got shit to do.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #7552 on: July 01, 2014, 04:30:08 pm »
- He fucking BLASTS country/soft rock loud enough that, just in the time I've lived there, we've had thirty-five noise complaints.

I was reading through that list and it looked like he had a hearing problem, but that last part reasonably confirmed it for me. You might want to tell him to have a hearing test done and look into hearing aids so that he has an easier time participating in a large conversation and picking out individual voices.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #7553 on: July 01, 2014, 05:55:40 pm »

I was reading through that list and it looked like he had a hearing problem, but that last part reasonably confirmed it for me. You might want to tell him to have a hearing test done and look into hearing aids so that he has an easier time participating in a large conversation and picking out individual voices.
I think it's less that he can't hear and more that he doesn't understand how or why the volume bothers other people. He lived alone for several years before getting bum rushed by a bunch of eighteen year old gas station attendants, so his tendencies toward being unhygienic and inconsiderate stem partially from not having anybody around to tell him he's a mess. That said, I was the last person to move in there and I've been there for a couple months now, so the grace period has been over for quite a while. And even if he is hard of hearing, I'm neither his doctor nor his mom. He's responsible for maintaining appropriate behaviour, period.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7554 on: July 01, 2014, 11:35:18 pm »
Even before tumblr I remember it wasn't uncommon to hear people "theorise" that a character was gay.  Sherlock Holmes is one example that springs to mind, although I always felt that Holmes was rather asexual if anything.  What is people's fasination with the sexual orinatation of fictional characters?

Eh, I don't really mind alternate character interpretations. Mostly I just don't want to be called a homophobe for not thinking Hannibal Lecter should fuck Will Graham.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7555 on: July 01, 2014, 11:39:33 pm »

Eh, I don't really mind alternate character interpretations. Mostly I just don't want to be called a homophobe for not thinking Hannibal Lecter should fuck Will Graham.

Or the accusations of queer baiting toward Supernatural and Sherlock fans.

1. The Sherlock/John ship is literally over a century old. People have been obsessive shipping fans since before the turn of the 20th century, when the books first released. Season 3 of Sherlock proved that the writers were aware of the obsessive fanbase and the downright ancient suggestions of a homosexual relationship, and included that content intentionally as a reference to it.

2. Supernatural is the same thing: crazy obsessive fans turned their belief that Castiel and Dean would go well together into a legitimate belief that it's canon, and became offended when their heterosexual relationship didn't blossom into gay sex like their fanfics suggested. The writers and actors all find this hilarious and are intentionally screwing with the nutballs.

I even know some people who are convinced that Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles (the actors who play the brothers, Sam and Dean, for those who don't know) are really gay and banging in real life and their wives are just cover stories for the media. Those people are the really crazy ones.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #7556 on: July 02, 2014, 12:08:21 am »
Just you wait, Dean WILL marry Erin Jäger!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7557 on: July 02, 2014, 06:39:26 am »
A chick on facebook is insisting that you're pregnant regardless of whether or not the fertilized egg actually implants. Sure moron, it doesn't matter if the egg actually implants so the fetus can, oh I dunno, DEVELOP. I can't even.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7558 on: July 02, 2014, 10:33:52 am »
So Air Wisconsin lost the ground handling contract at Dulles.  On the one hand it means I've effectively lost my job but on the other hand will probably be hired by the new company coming in.  Which means no flight benefits but better pay.

Ironbite-so... lose/win?

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #7559 on: July 02, 2014, 04:54:25 pm »
So, Yahoo! Voices and Yahoo! contributor are shutting down.  Their goes my literal only source of income.