Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2068764 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7635 on: July 18, 2014, 10:21:19 pm »
Whenever a trans person/ disabled person/ rape survivor/ other member of an oppressed group starts insisting every other member of there group should act a certain way or do certain things or else they suck (see:certain parts of Tumblr, anti-feminist women, rad scum, Rape survivors demeaning other survors)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7636 on: July 20, 2014, 07:55:12 am »
Someone on facebook is insisting that women no longer wear bras because they're guaranteed to cause breast cancer. And not in an assholish "hurr, I just wanna see more tits" way. The person is dead serious.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7637 on: July 20, 2014, 07:56:58 am »
Someone on facebook is insisting that women no longer wear bras because they're guaranteed to cause breast cancer.
Just when you think people cannot get any stupider...

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7638 on: July 20, 2014, 08:12:09 am »
The breast cancer claims are BS, but there was a study that, while not definitive, concluded that bras caused a number of issues in the sample group, including increased sagginess over time due to weakening of surrounding muscles and problems stemming from women wearing the wrong size of bra.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7639 on: July 20, 2014, 08:38:14 am »
Wooooow.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #7640 on: July 21, 2014, 02:13:23 am »
Someone on facebook is insisting that women no longer wear bras because they're guaranteed to cause breast cancer.
Just when you think people cannot get any stupider...

Aw. You think theres a bar.

Thats so cute/
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7641 on: July 21, 2014, 05:44:49 pm »
I'm seeing headlines everywhere referring to a recent case where a pit bull mauled a toddler who was trying to hug him. And the articles act like the dog should've known that the kid didn't intend to harm him. A hug is not something that's universally understood and accepted by every living creature. Dogs can easily interpret hugs as an act of aggression and will respond accordingly if they do. Obviously the mauling was tragic and the dog appeared to be violent, but people need to stop assuming a dog knows what a fucking hug is, and stop assuming it's okay for their kids to go around randomly touching animals.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7642 on: July 21, 2014, 06:16:44 pm »
I'm seeing headlines everywhere referring to a recent case where a pit bull mauled a toddler who was trying to hug him. And the articles act like the dog should've known that the kid didn't intend to harm him. A hug is not something that's universally understood and accepted by every living creature. Dogs can easily interpret hugs as an act of aggression and will respond accordingly if they do. Obviously the mauling was tragic and the dog appeared to be violent, but people need to stop assuming a dog knows what a fucking hug is, and stop assuming it's okay for their kids to go around randomly touching animals.

Yep.  I'm just waiting for the next "AGH PIT BULLS ARE EVIL VIOLENT ANIMALS AND SHOULD BE PUT DOWN" wave of idiocy.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #7643 on: July 21, 2014, 06:22:22 pm »
I've been around toddlers with small animals. I don't care if he didn't intend the dog harm, he was likely causing the dog harm. Toddlers tend to put their full force of strength into a hug, and wave the animal back and forth violently, neither of which is conducive to "not harming" said animal. The brat was likely crushing that poor dog, and the dog reacted accordingly.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7644 on: July 21, 2014, 06:38:52 pm »
I've been around toddlers with small animals. I don't care if he didn't intend the dog harm, he was likely causing the dog harm. Toddlers tend to put their full force of strength into a hug, and wave the animal back and forth violently, neither of which is conducive to "not harming" said animal. The brat was likely crushing that poor dog, and the dog reacted accordingly.

One of my co-workers, back when I was working at McDonalds, would tell horror stories of her kids' inability to handle animals gently.  *shudders*
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #7645 on: July 21, 2014, 07:59:52 pm »

Yep, "Nice Pet!" and "No Touch!" were among the first things we taught the nephew, even before he started walking.

For a one-year-old, he's pretty good with the animals: he knows he has to sit first (keeps him from chasing them, falling on smaller pets, or being knocked over by the bigger dogs), can't pull hair/ears/tails, can only pet gently, and can't chase them when they leave. We're still working on getting him to keep his face away from them, for a variety of reasons. If he tries any of that, we take him away from the area. Teaching him all that took a lot of effort on our part, and at that age he still has to be monitored and have what he's learned reinforced. We're not allowing him to hug the pets for now, for reasons you've already pointed out.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7646 on: July 21, 2014, 08:43:02 pm »
I managed to break a window with my bare hands, completely by accident. I must the The Hulk or something.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7647 on: July 21, 2014, 11:13:27 pm »
Cracked it, or actually shattered it?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7648 on: July 21, 2014, 11:42:41 pm »
Shattered. I tell you, there's nothing like starting your day by cleaning up broken glass.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7649 on: July 21, 2014, 11:44:24 pm »
I just got turned down for a job that I was perfectly qualified for to the point that I should have been a shoe-in for it.