Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2065725 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7845 on: August 24, 2014, 06:47:34 am »
So, now that Art's had his Youtube rant, I'll have one of mine.  Why the fuck are random videos showing up in my History?  Actually, they're not completely random; if an embedded video shows up on my tumblr dash, it ends up in my History now, even if the video was never played.  Also, I'm pretty sure some video thumbnails that show up at the end of a video are being put there, too.  My History is for videos I've fucking watched, not unplayed videos that happened to randomly appear on my screen.

Edit:  Guh, nevermind.  It turns out the problem was part of an extension I'm using.

Which extension? I've been having that problem as well.

Youtube Center.  And I was wrong, I still have the problem.  If you so much as mouse over the videos in the sidebar, they turn up in your History.

Well bugger. Between this and the Load More button in the History playlist not doing its damn job, following any series is going to be a royal pain in the bellend.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #7846 on: August 24, 2014, 06:51:05 am »
So, now that Art's had his Youtube rant, I'll have one of mine.  Why the fuck are random videos showing up in my History?  Actually, they're not completely random; if an embedded video shows up on my tumblr dash, it ends up in my History now, even if the video was never played.  Also, I'm pretty sure some video thumbnails that show up at the end of a video are being put there, too.  My History is for videos I've fucking watched, not unplayed videos that happened to randomly appear on my screen.

Edit:  Guh, nevermind.  It turns out the problem was part of an extension I'm using.

Youtube Center.  And I was wrong, I still have the problem.  If you so much as mouse over the videos in the sidebar, they turn up in your History.

Well bugger. Between this and the Load More button in the History playlist not doing its damn job, following any series is going to be a royal pain in the bellend.

It appears that if you disable Embed, the embedded videos on other sites will stop appearing in the History, but the sidebar ones will continue to show no matter what.  The developer of YC has been notified.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7847 on: August 24, 2014, 06:53:24 am »

It appears that if you disable Embed, the embedded videos on other sites will stop appearing in the History, but the sidebar ones will continue to show no matter what.  The developer of YC has been notified.

I'll give that a go. Thanks for the tip.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7848 on: August 24, 2014, 08:32:19 am »
Back on topic, people who think all 2D retro games are "8-bit". How exactly did this little nugget of idiocy catch on, and most importantly, and for how long do we have to beat these people across the face before they realise that the SNES was 16-bit?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7849 on: August 24, 2014, 10:28:31 am »
Back on topic, people who think all 2D retro games are "8-bit". How exactly did this little nugget of idiocy catch on, and most importantly, and for how long do we have to beat these people across the face before they realise that the SNES was 16-bit?

Because people don't know what the term "word size" means in reference to computer science.  Don't matter how "retro" a modern game is, nowadays, they're all either 32 or 64-bit.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7850 on: August 25, 2014, 09:19:15 am »

Because people don't know what the term "word size" means in reference to computer science.  Don't matter how "retro" a modern game is, nowadays, they're all either 32 or 64-bit.

... I had a sega megadrive that was 32 bit, back in 1996-8. So define "modern", because I played Sonic 2 and Sonic and Knuckles on that bad boy. I gave it to a friend where it stayed played happily until its demise circa 2002.

(by the way, I don't know what you mean by "word size", then again I never studied computer science as of now, but it's on my to-do list)
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7851 on: August 25, 2014, 09:41:21 am »

... I had a sega megadrive that was 32 bit, back in 1996-8. So define "modern", because I played Sonic 2 and Sonic and Knuckles on that bad boy. I gave it to a friend where it stayed played happily until its demise circa 2002.

(by the way, I don't know what you mean by "word size", then again I never studied computer science as of now, but it's on my to-do list)

"Word size," when talking about comp sci, refers to the number of bits per instruction for a given processor.  So, for a 32-bit system, the word size is 32 bits.  This is why 64-bit systems can run 32-bit programs at double speed, they can process two instructions, or even an instruction and its arguments, all in one cycle.

"Modern," nowadays would probably more refer to 64-bit programs and operating systems, since we've been steadily moving away from the 32-bit architecture in consumer electronics for around the last decade or so.  Partially, this is simply the gears of progress grinding ever further on, but another part is there's a particular problem, similar to Y2K, that might actually cause problems: the Year 2038 problem.  Basically, unless 64-bit architectures become ubiquitous before 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038, the time on many machines will roll over to midnight UTC on 1 January 1970, because of the way machines store and increment the time.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7852 on: August 25, 2014, 01:17:03 pm »
"Word size," when talking about comp sci, refers to the number of bits per instruction for a given processor.  So, for a 32-bit system, the word size is 32 bits.  This is why 64-bit systems can run 32-bit programs at double speed, they can process two instructions, or even an instruction and its arguments, all in one cycle.

"Modern," nowadays would probably more refer to 64-bit programs and operating systems, since we've been steadily moving away from the 32-bit architecture in consumer electronics for around the last decade or so.  Partially, this is simply the gears of progress grinding ever further on, but another part is there's a particular problem, similar to Y2K, that might actually cause problems: the Year 2038 problem.  Basically, unless 64-bit architectures become ubiquitous before 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038, the time on many machines will roll over to midnight UTC on 1 January 1970, because of the way machines store and increment the time.

Thanks, that was very clear.  :)
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7853 on: August 25, 2014, 03:41:14 pm »

Thanks, that was very clear.  :)

Any time!

[ETA]

I don't know WHAT the fuck is wrong with Germanna's copy of Blackboard, but this has to be the most poorly-implemented piece of fucking shit I've seen since fucking Minecraft's rendering engine.  I have to log in multiple times just to DO anything, and have had to, on multiple fucking occasions, LOG IN AFTER HAVING JUST FINISHED LOGGING THE FUCK IN.  Even THEN, I haven't gotten great fuck all done today because the piece of shit is being buggier than usual and keeps erroring out when I try to view my fucking courses, if it even displays them at all, which it frequently fucking doesn't.  Like right fucking now.  I've logged in FIVE FUCKING TIMES, and not a single time has taken.  It doesn't say anything about my credentials being invalid, it just sends me back to the login screen like I just came to the site for the first time today.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:50:46 pm by RavynousHunter »

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #7854 on: August 25, 2014, 07:25:41 pm »
Turns out Netflix is missing the last several episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. You can't do that. You can't just cut the show off just when you get to the point where every episode drops a fucking bombshell like that. I am exceedingly frustrated.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #7855 on: August 26, 2014, 01:27:36 am »
I'm going to have to start taking meds for symptoms of my Aspergers.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #7856 on: August 26, 2014, 05:46:50 am »
I want to RP, but all of my threads are caught up, and everyone's asleep.  :-\
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7857 on: August 26, 2014, 08:52:34 am »
Turns out Netflix is missing the last several episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. You can't do that. You can't just cut the show off just when you get to the point where every episode drops a fucking bombshell like that. I am exceedingly frustrated.

Yeaaaaaah, noticed that, myself.  Its been that way for months, now.  I dunno when or even if they'll get the last bit.  Quite irritating, that.

[ETA]

Now, my fucking World Lit class has pissed me off.  Its not that the class in and of itself is retarded and fucking insulting, but...well, the teacher put up a video that we had to watch regarding academic honesty and plagiarism.  Simple shit, right?  Okay, time to kick you motherfuckers right square in the dick and/or vagina.

YOU CAN GET CALLED ON PLAGIARISM NOT ONLY FOR USING THE SAME PAPER TWICE FOR TWO DIFFERENT CLASSES, BUT FOR SO MUCH AS USING THE SAME FUCKING SENTENCE TWICE IN TWO DIFFERENT PAPERS.  So, not only can I somehow magically steal from myself, but I can get a whole paper yanked because I used the same fucking sentence twice.  Either the video was made by a fucking moron who doesn't understand the basic concept of theft and is overly fond of reductio ad absurdum, or this whole thing is even more completely, balls-to-the-wall idiotic than I originally thought.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:04:52 am by RavynousHunter »

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7858 on: August 26, 2014, 02:31:54 pm »
When you get kicked from a multiplayer game's lobby for winning the previous round.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #7859 on: August 26, 2014, 04:17:13 pm »
there's a particular problem, similar to Y2K, that might actually cause problems: the Year 2038 problem.  Basically, unless 64-bit architectures become ubiquitous before 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038, the time on many machines will roll over to midnight UTC on 1 January 1970, because of the way machines store and increment the time.

That's only an issue with 32-bit machines that count seconds using UNIX time. The counter would theoretically overflow to the 13th of December 1901 in a naive implementation, but memory has gotten far more abundant since the 70s and if you're willing to store the year, date, etc. as several numbers and implement new time and date functions (which is harder to debug than it seems), a 32-bit machine could theoretically keep time for billions of years.

There may not be any 32-bit desktops around by 2038 but embedded systems would still benefit.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.