Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2065418 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7890 on: August 30, 2014, 04:49:40 pm »
^ Seanbaby made a list on cracked of crazy authors who wrote the same book over and over.

The last books referenced were by these two women, and were children's books which involved any form of tragedy and misfortune they could think of. When they ran out of credible tragedy, they went for the implausible, including "what if your friend was being rounded up by the United States government in the 1940s?" And "what if you went to a chicken-based devil worshiping pre-school?"
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7891 on: August 30, 2014, 09:08:53 pm »
Adware. Have you ever had iStartSurf take over your browser? I swear, it's the most tenacious little bastard I've ever had to deal with. It took me almost four hours to get rid of the little fucker. Whoever programmed that thing deserves to be furiously buggered with brine soaked cactus.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #7892 on: August 31, 2014, 01:07:55 am »
Adware. Have you ever had iStartSurf take over your browser? I swear, it's the most tenacious little bastard I've ever had to deal with. It took me almost four hours to get rid of the little fucker. Whoever programmed that thing deserves to be furiously buggered with brine soaked cactus.

I had the displeasure of dealing with the Sweetpacks "browser" adware.  I'm not sure how exactly I got it on my computer because I certainly don't remember downloading it.  I had to constantly go into my programs to uninstall it and the various programs it brought with it for a few weeks.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #7893 on: August 31, 2014, 01:37:26 am »
AT&T again is being annoying - all my favourite shows are out of date and rarely on on their so called "On Demand" service, which is just a rip off of comcast's.

Its service is so utterly miserable it would take wilful malice in design to make such a system.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7894 on: August 31, 2014, 01:47:45 am »

I had the displeasure of dealing with the Sweetpacks "browser" adware.  I'm not sure how exactly I got it on my computer because I certainly don't remember downloading it.  I had to constantly go into my programs to uninstall it and the various programs it brought with it for a few weeks.

They're tend to be quietly installed by some other unrelated program. Whatever you downloaded and installed at around the time it first appeared in your browser is almost certainly the culprit.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7895 on: August 31, 2014, 11:27:33 am »
This is why I scan everything I download, especially executable programs, unless I'm absolutely certain the person from whom I'm getting the file is both trustworthy and clean.  I even scan Minecraft mods, if I'm not familiar with the author.  Avast is your friend, children!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7896 on: August 31, 2014, 02:12:49 pm »
There's this one punk on the Dungeons and Dragons Online forums who reacts to every suggestion to add a non-core race or non-core class (such as Dragonborn or Warlock) with a "oh god no i hate <x> with a passion its just cheesey munchkin bullcrap and the worst thing to happen to dnd"

And whenever anyone brings up anything like "but you don't have to play one" he responds with an argument that, I shit you not, basically boils down to "but it affects me because it means i might actually have to look at one in my party and if it happens i will never allow one into my party.  also because it means that i'll have to wait until later for a race/class i wanted to make it in."

He also claims to have been a great DM who believes that sticking entirely to the core rules, not allowing any "splat" classes or races in, and refusing to allow any intra-party conflict besides teasing made players flock to him to play under him.  I pretty much said "I have no reason to believe this" to that.

He also hates Forgotten Realms and Spelljammer with a passion as well.

Actually, the best way to describe him is "hates thing with irrational passion".  That literally sums up everything I've seen about this guy.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7897 on: August 31, 2014, 06:02:33 pm »
I can understand disliking Forgotten Realms for being more generic high fantasy, but this guy seems to be a troll.  That is, of course, not to say that generic high fantasy is bad.  Eberron is one of the reasons I like DDO, the magitech is a nice change of pace.  Could use more Warlocks, though.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7898 on: August 31, 2014, 09:55:06 pm »
I can understand disliking Forgotten Realms for being more generic high fantasy, but this guy seems to be a troll.  That is, of course, not to say that generic high fantasy is bad.  Eberron is one of the reasons I like DDO, the magitech is a nice change of pace.  Could use more Warlocks, though.

Nope, this guy's not a troll.  He's just not yet outgrown the egocentric portion of his childhood.

(Also, I tried to capture the essence of his posts, but I'm afraid I may have made him more legible than he normally is.)

He's also got this bug up his butt about the fact that gnomes aren't yet playable in DDO.

Despite the fact that Eberron Gnomes basically look like halflings (who look more like kender than actual halflings).
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7899 on: September 01, 2014, 12:58:51 am »
There's this one punk on the Dungeons and Dragons Online forums who reacts to every suggestion to add a non-core race or non-core class (such as Dragonborn or Warlock) with a "oh god no i hate <x> with a passion its just cheesey munchkin bullcrap and the worst thing to happen to dnd"

And whenever anyone brings up anything like "but you don't have to play one" he responds with an argument that, I shit you not, basically boils down to "but it affects me because it means i might actually have to look at one in my party and if it happens i will never allow one into my party.  also because it means that i'll have to wait until later for a race/class i wanted to make it in."

He also claims to have been a great DM who believes that sticking entirely to the core rules, not allowing any "splat" classes or races in, and refusing to allow any intra-party conflict besides teasing made players flock to him to play under him.  I pretty much said "I have no reason to believe this" to that.

Actually, the best way to describe him is "hates thing with irrational passion".  That literally sums up everything I've seen about this guy.

....ask him about his opinions about gay marriage.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7900 on: September 01, 2014, 01:20:14 am »

....ask him about his opinions about gay marriage.

First rule of political arguments: Unless you are on a political board, first person who makes it about politics loses.

Besides, I don't want to compare gay marriage to getting dragonborn into the game.

Now, comparing gay marriage to in-game gay marriage, on the other hand...

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7901 on: September 01, 2014, 01:40:55 am »
Actually it's relevant.  Because all those arguments he makes?  It's arguments against gay marriage.

Ironbite-I'm just amazed at the flat out ripping off.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7902 on: September 01, 2014, 02:26:00 am »
Actually it's relevant.  Because all those arguments he makes?  It's arguments against gay marriage.

Ironbite-I'm just amazed at the flat out ripping off.

I noticed that, too, but still, bringing it up would make me look bad.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7903 on: September 01, 2014, 05:15:17 am »

Nope, this guy's not a troll.  He's just not yet outgrown the egocentric portion of his childhood.

(Also, I tried to capture the essence of his posts, but I'm afraid I may have made him more legible than he normally is.)

He's also got this bug up his butt about the fact that gnomes aren't yet playable in DDO.

Despite the fact that Eberron Gnomes basically look like halflings (who look more like kender than actual halflings).

There's a classic optimization concerning gnomes (and even worse: whisper gnomes). It's called the gnome illusionist, due to the gnomes' latent tendency to create illusions. IIRC, some gnomes even have the prestidigitation spell as a spell-like ability, and they cast illusion spells at +1 caster level. Maybe he likes this? He sounds just like a grumpy wizard to me (ok, I confess, I hate wizards)...
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7904 on: September 01, 2014, 05:54:36 am »

There's a classic optimization concerning gnomes (and even worse: whisper gnomes). It's called the gnome illusionist, due to the gnomes' latent tendency to create illusions. IIRC, some gnomes even have the prestidigitation spell as a spell-like ability, and they cast illusion spells at +1 caster level. Maybe he likes this? He sounds just like a grumpy wizard to me (ok, I confess, I hate wizards)...

His entire reason for pushing it is that it's a core race that hasn't been added yet.

Also, the illusion spell list in DDO is sorely lacking.