Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2068858 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7935 on: September 04, 2014, 01:22:34 am »
Ah yes, "stop letting it bother you". Where have I heard that before? Well, I envy you if that actually works for you. However, as I thought I made perfectly clear already, hearing the same thing over and over again is what's annoying. Whether I ignore or actively engage with it is irrelevant.

My point is, if you ignore it, it doesn't matter if it's repetitive because you don't notice it.  That's how ignoring works.  You put it out of your mind.

As far as "I'm getting really sick of this ice bucket fad" goes... well, tough shit.  I know that the moment something becomes "trendy", it becomes a personal affront to all five of your senses, but the fact that this is a fad is a good thing.  It means that money is going towards research and aid towards people who need it.  Things like this should be a fad more often.

You're complaining about something that, for once, is a good thing.  Just because it's repetitive.  That's kinda fucked up.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #7936 on: September 04, 2014, 01:38:50 am »
Finnish People, christ-like christians, horny gay people who enjoy eating ass, and pagans.
What do you have against Finns?

Im more offended over the eating ass bit. Its awesome
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7937 on: September 04, 2014, 01:45:26 am »
My point is, if you ignore it, it doesn't matter if it's repetitive because you don't notice it.  That's how ignoring works.  You put it out of your mind.
Up to a certain point, sure. Beyond that, not so much. You ever been on a plane with a screaming kid nearby? I assure you, ignoring it doesn't exactly prevent it from pissing you the fuck off. This is the same basic principle.
As far as "I'm getting really sick of this ice bucket fad" goes... well, tough shit.  I know that the moment something becomes "trendy", it becomes a personal affront to all five of your senses, but the fact that this is a fad is a good thing.  It means that money is going towards research and aid towards people who need it.  Things like this should be a fad more often.

You're complaining about something that, for once, is a good thing.  Just because it's repetitive.  That's kinda fucked up.
Well, the point is that it's annoying, and the whole point of this thread is to complain about things that annoy you. I suppose this would be a good time to turn your own logic back on yourself. If someone is annoyed by something that you like, then you're the one who should ignore it. If for no other reason than trying to convince people that they should feel the same way about things that you feel is just the world's biggest exercise in pointlessness and also very very pretentious.
Finnish People, christ-like christians, horny gay people who enjoy eating ass, and pagans.

Right up until you find a piece of sweetcorn.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7938 on: September 04, 2014, 01:55:18 am »
Up to a certain point, sure. Beyond that, not so much. You ever been on a plane with a screaming kid nearby? I assure you, ignoring it doesn't exactly prevent it from pissing you the fuck off. This is the same basic principle.

No, a screaming child is shrill, loud, and unceasing.  There's a lot more to it than repetition.

If "people talking about things" has become as annoying as "screaming child on a plane", then there's something wrong with you.

Well, the point is that it's annoying, and the whole point of this thread is to complain about things that annoy you. I suppose this would be a good time to turn your own logic back on yourself. If someone is annoyed by something that you like, then you're the one who should ignore it. If for no other reason than trying to convince people that they should feel the same way about things that you feel is just the world's biggest exercise in pointlessness and also very very pretentious.

I notice how this addressed nothing about what I actually said, and is basically a long winded "no u."

Last I checked, no one here has their opinion protected by being on-topic.  Other people have had their petty grievances called out for being exceptionally petty.  They've been called out for being passive-aggressive, too. I don't see why you or I should get special treatment.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7939 on: September 04, 2014, 02:09:01 am »
I notice how this addressed nothing about what I actually said, and is basically a long winded "no u."

Last I checked, no one here has their opinion protected by being on-topic.  Other people have had their petty grievances called out for being exceptionally petty.  They've been called out for being passive-aggressive, too. I don't see why you or I should get special treatment.
I didn't say you're not welcome to try, I said you're not going to actually achieve anything. Most people would've figured that out back on the previous page, but if you're really adamant about changing how I feel about something and you really have nothing better to do, then by all means, continue.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #7940 on: September 04, 2014, 02:13:41 am »

That's the joke.
Also, ew.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7941 on: September 04, 2014, 02:19:07 am »

I didn't say you're not welcome to try, I said you're not going to actually achieve anything. Most people would've figured that out back on the previous page, but if you're really adamant about changing how I feel about something and you really have nothing better to do, then by all means, continue.

Ah yes, the old "I'm not going to listen to criticism, so don't bother giving it" argument.  Classic.

I've said my piece.  No point in repeating it.

Just remember that there is a difference between ignoring something and avoiding it.  And that, unlike the screaming child scenario, you are perfectly capable of ignoring trendy things.  But hey.  It's your choice.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7942 on: September 04, 2014, 02:28:34 am »

No, a screaming child is shrill, loud, and unceasing.  There's a lot more to it than repetition.

Also, I'm pretty sure even screaming children would be more tolerated if their screams raised over a hundred million dollars for medical research in a month.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7943 on: September 04, 2014, 06:29:47 am »
There are two sides to the ice bucket challenge. On the one hand, it's raising money for ALS (although only a tiny fraction of people's donations go to actual research, but that's another issue). On the other hand, tons of people are doing the challenge and not donating money, but posting the video anyway so they can feel like they're making a difference. It's massive slacktivism, in that case. And that's irritating as fuck. This whole argument is irritating as fuck, really.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7944 on: September 04, 2014, 06:55:15 am »
There are two sides to the ice bucket challenge. On the one hand, it's raising money for ALS (although only a tiny fraction of people's donations go to actual research, but that's another issue). On the other hand, tons of people are doing the challenge and not donating money, but posting the video anyway so they can feel like they're making a difference. It's massive slacktivism, in that case. And that's irritating as fuck. This whole argument is irritating as fuck, really.
They also quite rarely mention (or even know) the purpose behind the challenge. They are doing it for the fame and nominating friends and/or celebreties but aren't even doing much to raise awareness for ALS.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #7945 on: September 04, 2014, 06:56:26 am »
Wait, the ice bucket challenge is about ALS?

I haven't seen it much, so I figured it was just internet people pouring ice on their heads.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7946 on: September 04, 2014, 07:19:10 am »
I can't even remember how many of those videos I had seen until someone mentioned ALS or that it was for a charity. ALS might have been mentioned in small print somewhere near the video but I think Charlie Sheen was the first to mention the cause and he actually donated money rather than poured cold water on himself.

#Still-winning
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #7947 on: September 04, 2014, 10:27:33 am »
How I understood the challenge was this: when someone called you out for the ice bucket challenge either you donate money or pour a bucket of ice water over your head.  The response must be within 24 hours of the challenge issued. Most celebrities donate then go on camera to perform the challenge to bring awareness to ALS and entertain people by pouring ice water over their heads. 

I find the ice bucket challenge a bit wasteful of clean water.  I had someone on my Facebook explain ahead of time that if she were ever issued the ice bucket challenge, she would simply donate because she can't stand wasting clean water and ice like that.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7948 on: September 04, 2014, 11:59:23 am »
I find the ice bucket challenge a bit wasteful of clean water.  I had someone on my Facebook explain ahead of time that if she were ever issued the ice bucket challenge, she would simply donate because she can't stand wasting clean water and ice like that.

Okay, this is another thing that bugs me. I hear it often from people in California, usually worded as "We're in a drought! Stop wasting water!"

The amount of water used in an ice bucket challenge is the same or less than if the person had run their shower for an extra minute or two. California is in a first world drought. The residents are not fighting for their survival. People in Los Angeles are not deciding whether they brush their teeth or die of dehydration. Despite being a "historically relevant megadrought", as I've heard it called, life is still going on the same for the most part. We're not in Africa.

Also, depending on which "rules" you follow, you either donate $10 and film yourself having the water dumped on your head or you donate $100 or more and stay dry.

What can't be denied is that the challenge has raised more money for medicine than anyone ever expected. Complaining about it is one of the most useless things to complain about; you're literally complaining that something that's making a difference isn't doing so perfectly in line with your world view.

although only a tiny fraction of people's donations go to actual research, but that's another issue)

The ALS Association debunked that here.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7949 on: September 04, 2014, 01:31:37 pm »
Even if only 20% of the donations went to ALS research.....the rest go to raising awareness, giving people who suffer from this disease a better life, and ad time on TV for more donations.

Ironbite-not like it's going to someone's pockets.