Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2066440 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9105 on: September 30, 2015, 05:03:57 pm »
Family(Sister, Brother in law, and brother) came over today to visit, so it's let's bad mouth Millennials as being "Lazy" time.

oooooooh.  So that's what you meant.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #9106 on: September 30, 2015, 05:04:31 pm »
I'm pretty sick of people raving over how magnificent this pope is, too. Apparently it's okay to ignore his stances on abortion and homosexuality, among other things.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9107 on: September 30, 2015, 05:09:45 pm »
The Pope. Just about everything the Pope says and especially the mad scramble of the press to quote him out of context to make him look like Change You Can Believe In™. He's an archconservative asshole with enough power to perpetuate the horrible crimes the Roman Catholic Church is involved in around the world.

I can't put it better than PZ, honestly:
Quote from: PZ Myers
It’s been a week of unstinting praise for the parasitic head of a criminal organization that promotes lies and superstition, and I have been disgusted every time a journalist swoons over the fact that Pope Francis smiled or patted some little boy on the head.

The Pope is not your friend. He’s the Kool-Aid with the cloying sweet taste to mask the poison.

The only good thing I can say about him is that he's better than most of the previous ones. But that really isn't saying much. He probably would be considered a major progressive by the standards of 300 years ago, but he's still very far behind the times now and bound to all the fundamental flaws of the Catholic Church.

I've had people point out how great a guy he is with regards to gay rights, but when I point out that his actions in trying to stop Malta from allowing gay marriage tell a different story, they seem to stop listening. I think in his own mind, the Pope does care, but I've seen that kind of attitude in other religious leaders before. They want to put on a good face in order to bring LGBT people back to the church, but it's all a PR stunt. They still believe it's wrong and they still expect them to be changed by following Christianity. And they will still, despite their public image, work to stop the spread of LGBT rights behind the scenes.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9108 on: September 30, 2015, 06:19:49 pm »
Well, you have to remember that the Pope's not an autocrat.  He backed proposals for wider acceptance of LGBT people, but hardline bishops shot them down.

Besides, you can't expect the Catholic Church to pull an about-face overnight.  It would be nice if they did on certain issues, but you have to be realistic.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9109 on: September 30, 2015, 06:27:37 pm »
Well, you have to remember that the Pope's not an autocrat.  He backed proposals for wider acceptance of LGBT people, but hardline bishops shot them down.

Besides, you can't expect the Catholic Church to pull an about-face overnight.  It would be nice if they did on certain issues, but you have to be realistic.

I don't have to expect an international criminal organization to change. I can only hope it becomes increasingly isolated from civilized society or dismantled.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #9110 on: September 30, 2015, 06:34:43 pm »

I don't have to expect an international criminal organization to change. I can only hope it becomes increasingly isolated from civilized society or dismantled.

"International criminal organization"

Yeah, because using terms like that proves how rational you are.  Maybe I'd take your criticisms seriously if you'd quit using ad hominem attacks.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9111 on: September 30, 2015, 06:35:06 pm »

isis, the new york yankees, greenpeace, politicians, the mafia, narcotrafficants, and monsanto.

what do these have in common? read the quote and substitute.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #9112 on: September 30, 2015, 07:26:26 pm »
What's the matter, Christlike Christian? Did I hit a nerve? An accurate description of an organization in addition to its relevance to an argument is not ad hominem.

The RCC is a criminal organization that gets a pass in modern society because it's very old and very powerful.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9113 on: September 30, 2015, 07:26:40 pm »

Yeah, because using terms like that proves how rational you are.  Maybe I'd take your criticisms seriously if you'd quit using ad hominem attacks.

The harbouring paedophiles thing certainly qualifies them as a criminal organisation. It's a proven fact that they move known child molesters from parish to parish in order to protect them from the police. If that doesn't make them a criminal organisation, then I don't know what does.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #9114 on: September 30, 2015, 07:36:35 pm »
What's the matter, Christlike Christian? Did I hit a nerve? An accurate description of an organization in addition to its relevance to an argument is not ad hominem.

The RCC is a criminal organization that gets a pass in modern society because it's very old and very powerful.

That's rich coming from a defender of Hamas.

The harbouring paedophiles thing certainly qualifies them as a criminal organisation. It's a proven fact that they move known child molesters from parish to parish in order to protect them from the police. If that doesn't make them a criminal organisation, then I don't know what does.

There's a world of difference between a criminal organization and an organization that commits (admittedly despicable) crimes.  A "criminal organization" is an organization whose very existence is based on crime.  By your logic, the BBC is a criminal organization.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #9115 on: September 30, 2015, 07:48:20 pm »

It's the tip of the iceberg. The RCC is quite possibly the largest contributor of any single actor to the prevalence of HIV in Africa and its resulting casualties because of their official policy that condom use is a sin in any circumstance.

Another criminal policy that directly affects many Americans is the denial of healthcare that goes against Catholic teachings in USCCB-majority-owned hospitals. They're all over the place -- if you're going to the ER you're not choosy about which hospital to go to. It's the sort of thing that would immediately raise the public ire if a minority religion like the Jehovah's Witnesses had the same widespread control over healthcare.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9116 on: September 30, 2015, 07:48:39 pm »
There's a world of difference between a criminal organization and an organization that commits (admittedly despicable) crimes.  A "criminal organization" is an organization whose very existence is based on crime.  By your logic, the BBC is a criminal organization.
Eh, semantics. In practice, the correct response is pretty much the same.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #9117 on: September 30, 2015, 07:50:27 pm »
Things that annoy me: pinworms! I won't say more, but suffice to say, they annoy me.

On the bright side, I found out today that pyrantel pamoate actually tastes pretty good.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #9118 on: September 30, 2015, 11:13:44 pm »

That's rich coming from a defender of Hamas.

*eyes cross* *blinks* What. The. Fuck. "They're not a criminal organisation, they're just an organisation made up of criminals that regularly commits crimes." Doublethink, doublegood, doublefun, doublemint!
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9119 on: September 30, 2015, 11:29:40 pm »

He also, as I said above, tried to keep Malta from recognizing same-sex marriage.

And everything I've heard from him on acceptance is no different from any of the other religious leaders I've heard from on the subject. It's mainly lip service to get them back in church.

Also, don't forget his little get-together with Kim Davis either.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 11:32:52 pm by Random Guy »