Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2065584 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9165 on: October 09, 2015, 08:41:11 am »
People looking at one radical,  relatively small facet of a movement and associating all of the movement with it. No, jackasses, feminism as a concept doesn't devalue male victims of domestic abuse, you're thinking of radfems, and quotes from like ten radfems don't mean TEH HOUL FING is a hate movement.

Also, MGTOWs. God I hate MGTOWs.

Agreed on both counts.

Even Then

« Reply #9166 on: October 09, 2015, 09:10:32 am »
Seriously. Everyone who earnestly calls Tumblr a "liberal feminist echo chamber hivemind" or anything to that effect is invited to have their anus viciously hate-fisted by me. This sort of rhetoric fucking THRIVES there.

Also, another thing that annoys me: when people criticize/mock/complain about gendered marketing and asshats spin the issue as the complainants being the REAL sexists.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #9167 on: October 09, 2015, 09:14:24 am »
Seriously. Everyone who earnestly calls Tumblr a "liberal feminist echo chamber hivemind" or anything to that effect is invited to have their anus viciously hate-fisted by me. This sort of rhetoric fucking THRIVES there.

Also, another thing that annoys me: when people criticize/mock/complain about gendered marketing and asshats spin the issue as the complainants being the REAL sexists.

Yeah, while I don't think gendered marketing is inherently sexist, there are some legitimate complaints to be made about certain examples.

Even Then

« Reply #9168 on: October 09, 2015, 09:18:10 am »
...gendered marketing... a concept that runs on perceived predispositions assigned to genders... isn't inherently sexist...

...oh no, I think I've gone cross-eyed.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9169 on: October 09, 2015, 09:28:07 am »
It certainly has its niche. For instance, things like bras and tampons are very much useful only to one gender. Obviously it's applied to products that really have no reason to be gendered, but that doesn't mean it's inherently sexist, just that many (possibly the majority) of its current applications are sexist.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #9170 on: October 09, 2015, 09:34:13 am »
...gendered marketing... a concept that runs on perceived predispositions assigned to genders... isn't inherently sexist...

Acknowledging differences between genders isn't sexist.  Now, one could argue (with legitimate grounds) that some gender differences are social constructs, but others are basic biology.  For example, men tend to be better in abstract thought, whereas women are usually better at distinguishing minor details.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #9171 on: October 09, 2015, 09:44:31 am »
If you're going to do that, can you Highlander Kanye West in the process? Please.

And now I'm reminded of comedian Flip Schultz.  "I think Kanye should be the new word for interrupting.  'If you Kanye me one more time, I'm gonna Chris Brown the shit out of you!"
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9172 on: October 09, 2015, 09:53:09 am »

Acknowledging differences between genders isn't sexist.  Now, one could argue (with legitimate grounds) that some gender differences are social constructs, but others are basic biology.  For example, men tend to be better in abstract thought, whereas women are usually better at distinguishing minor details.

You sound like my late dad...
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Even Then

« Reply #9173 on: October 09, 2015, 09:53:52 am »
It certainly has its niche. For instance, things like bras and tampons are very much useful only to one gender. Obviously it's applied to products that really have no reason to be gendered, but that doesn't mean it's inherently sexist, just that many (possibly the majority) of its current applications are sexist.

Fair enough and well said (although transgender people and such need tampons but w/e, mostly only cis women need tampons). I was more referring to the whole bullshit with Bronuts and Dude Milk and gendered soaps and shit that doesn't NEED to be gendered.

The sample sizes in those kinds of studies are usually laughably small, and therefore aren't actually reliable in measuring the capabilities of men and women (groups that include BILLIONS of people) in any form, shape or size. It's simply inaccurate and reductionist to say that "men are naturally better at thing X" or "women are naturally better at thing Y".

Of course there's differences in brain types, but since physical sex is a spectrum rather than a strict binary anyway (as evidenced by the existence of intersex people and chromosome/hormone variables within individuals) and sex =/= gender, that's a WHOLE different discourse.

(and shit like distinguishing minor details and abstract thought usually has fuck all to do with marketing anyway :| )

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9174 on: October 09, 2015, 10:04:51 am »

also, why is pink still deliberately a girl's color?

i was at the tobacconist's and saw some cool lighters. pink with glittering bowties. guess their name? "bic girl". sssssssssssseeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxxxxiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!

also, 2€50 for one lighter. that's the reason i didn't get one.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #9175 on: October 09, 2015, 10:18:12 am »
That reminds me how I hate how they force the color pink on girls, and over load products with glitter and sparkles

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9176 on: October 09, 2015, 01:41:24 pm »
Pink is a girl color because of Hitler.  And no I'm not Godwinning the conversation.  It really is because of Hitler.

Ironbite-ain't that wild?

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #9177 on: October 09, 2015, 01:46:19 pm »
How? I wanna know!
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9178 on: October 09, 2015, 02:06:45 pm »

About that, some of the same studies were repeated with the participants being asked to adopt the mindset of the opposite sex before proceeding. When that happened, each gender got the opposite results.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9179 on: October 09, 2015, 02:28:47 pm »
How? I wanna know!

Originally (or at least before this thing that I am going to talk about) pink and red were "boy colours" because red is the colour of blood and an "agressive" colour while blue was the "girl colour" because blue is a calm colour that evokes images of calm skies and water.

When the Nazis put gay men into concentration camps they were marked with pink triangles (just like Jews were marked with the yellow star of David each group sent into the camps had a special symbol and colour to differentiate them.)

This was a change from the earlier way of thinking that pink is a MANLY colour as the association with the homosexuals made it seem like an unmanly and therefore "feminine" colour.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!