Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2068277 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9180 on: October 09, 2015, 03:48:28 pm »
Acknowledging differences between genders isn't sexist.  Now, one could argue (with legitimate grounds) that some gender differences are social constructs, but others are basic biology.  For example, men tend to be better in abstract thought, whereas women are usually better at distinguishing minor details.

The sample sizes in those kinds of studies are usually laughably small, and therefore aren't actually reliable in measuring the capabilities of men and women (groups that include BILLIONS of people) in any form, shape or size. It's simply inaccurate and reductionist to say that "men are naturally better at thing X" or "women are naturally better at thing Y".

Minor nitpick, but it doesn't actually matter whether there are billions of men and women or not. The sample size a study needs to be reliable has nothing to do with the size of the overall population.

The major nitpick is that I think you're wrong here and there are in fact decent studies that show statistical differences in certain skills between sexes. I really don't have time to go citation-hunting right now, though, and I don't expect you to take it on faith, so I'll try to remember to look this up later when I have the time.
Σא

Even Then

« Reply #9181 on: October 09, 2015, 04:23:05 pm »
Sure, physical sexes have differences in brains probably. That's not something I'm going to deny. What's ridiculous to me is saying that the male and female genders INHERENTLY have different skillsets, because it's not like nurture changes how the brain develops or anything. Nope, men are good at thing A and women are good at thing Y, and that's  God' s truth.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:25:24 pm by Even Then »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9182 on: October 09, 2015, 07:54:21 pm »
I'm not sure what your position is here exactly. Of course nurture has an effect, that's not in doubt. The question is whether nature does, and I think it's pretty likely. It'd be odd if structural differences in brains did not result in brains that work differently.
Σא

Even Then

« Reply #9183 on: October 10, 2015, 07:24:17 am »
Likely, of course. Not in question. Relevant to the point of saying that men/women are inherently and universally better/worse at things A/Y, aggravating BS. Not necessarily something you're espousing, but an attitude I've run into depressingly often.

side note,  making bold text on mobile is annoying XD

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #9184 on: October 11, 2015, 12:25:28 am »
Ended up walking to work, because the bus I spent 20 minutes waiting for didn't have anymore room, and there was no back up bus. The next bus would of came an hour later and by the time it got to my job, I would've been late.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9185 on: October 11, 2015, 12:42:40 am »
My cellphone is breaking up. The camera button has been broken for a while now but just this morning it turned out that the button that unlocks it and locks it is also broken. Mechanically broken. And fixing it will cost about as much as getting a new phone.

...I guess it is time to find a new phone and hope that I can move the info from my old phone to the new one somehow.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #9186 on: October 11, 2015, 12:46:40 am »
I just got lectured for being nerdy, or not manly enough, apparently. Well, for watching Linkara's LP of Pokemon Omicron and some WTFIWWY Live instead of things with explosions and chicks, anyway. Apparently my hobbies are "childish". Not exactly sure what the fuck that was about.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9187 on: October 11, 2015, 12:49:00 am »
I just got lectured for being nerdy, or not manly enough, apparently. Well, for watching Linkara's LP of Pokemon Omicron and some WTFIWWY Live instead of things with explosions and chicks, anyway. Apparently my hobbies are "childish". Not exactly sure what the fuck that was about.

Don't let them get to you.

Quote from: C. S. Lewis
Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #9188 on: October 11, 2015, 01:00:21 am »
Quoted the end bit of that to them in the discussion we had. Well, paraphrased, as I couldn't remember the specifics. They pretty much ignored it and said, "Yeah, but you're twenty, you should be doing more productive things, even in your downtime."

As a note, I'm full time at work and in school. (less so these past two weeks at work cause I've had my hours cut somewhat, but still.)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #9189 on: October 11, 2015, 01:09:24 am »
Svata, for what it's worth, anyone who's really an adult will tell you manliness has absolutely nothing to do with growing muscles or facial hair.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #9190 on: October 11, 2015, 01:16:00 am »
Those weren't mentioned. Just that I was 20 and should be doing things that are "productive" during my downtime, and that my hobbies were childish.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9191 on: October 11, 2015, 10:00:04 am »
They fail to realize that happiness is productive.  A happy person does more than a downtrodden one.  Svata, you'll be the kind of person that retires at 55 and still has energy to do things they like.  When people like THAT retire...they'll be miserable.  And probably dead.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9192 on: October 11, 2015, 10:11:58 am »
Those weren't mentioned. Just that I was 20 and should be doing things that are "productive" during my downtime, and that my hobbies were childish.

I'm 55 and I play simulation, time management and RTS games to keep my situational awareness and decision making skills sharp. My neighbor is a very in-demand 60 year old endoscopic surgeon and he plays video games in his free time for the same reason. Whoever is dissing you is not worth arguing with, and their ignorant opinion is not worth the breath that carried it your ears, so don't let the asshole get you down, okay?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9193 on: October 11, 2015, 10:14:56 am »
I'm a 26 year-old software developer and I run my own Minecraft server, watch shit on Netflix, and write fanfic.  Admittedly decent fanfic (if nothing else, it beats My Immortal), but still.  Keeping your brain active and thinking is important.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #9194 on: October 11, 2015, 10:30:24 am »
Isn't the point of downtime to relax and enjoy yourself after you spend most of your time working?