Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2065769 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9270 on: October 27, 2015, 08:10:58 pm »
I remember when we did math on a piece of paper (or 20, depending on the size of the problems and how much work you had to 'show'.)   Ah, those halcyon days of youth...

Reminds me of this old joke:

Dean, to the physics department. "Why do I always have to give you guys so much money, for laboratories and expensive equipment and stuff. Why couldn't you be like the math department - all they need is money for pencils, paper and waste-paper baskets. Or even better, like the philosophy department. All they need are pencils and paper."
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9271 on: October 27, 2015, 11:11:29 pm »
I remember when we did math on a piece of paper (or 20, depending on the size of the problems and how much work you had to 'show'.)   Ah, those halcyon days of youth...

I still do math on paper...

I mean, not exclusively. Doing statistics or numerical analysis by hand should probably be banned by the Geneva Convention. But pen, paper and my trusty slide rule the occasional calculator is most of what I use.

I do own a slide rule, though I never use it
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9272 on: October 28, 2015, 09:40:58 am »
Sheeeeeeeeit, I'd be halfway to Fucked Town if it weren't for my TI nSpire, since it does most of the calculus for me.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9273 on: October 28, 2015, 11:39:10 am »
Big windstorm blew a lot of tree branches into my driveway.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9274 on: October 28, 2015, 08:33:21 pm »
Sheeeeeeeeit, I'd be halfway to Fucked Town if it weren't for my TI nSpire, since it does most of the calculus for me.

Huh. I don't usually think of calculus as something you let a computer do for you. I mean, obviously it's useful, and sometimes inevitable when you need numerical approaches, but I still do all my e.g. differentiation by hand. Builds intuition and whatnot.
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9275 on: October 28, 2015, 08:36:42 pm »

Huh. I don't usually think of calculus as something you let a computer do for you. I mean, obviously it's useful, and sometimes inevitable when you need numerical approaches, but I still do all my e.g. differentiation by hand. Builds intuition and whatnot.

When it gets really complicated I have no problems with turning to Mathematica. Some of the integrals I had to do in my calculus of variations course were too difficult for me to do by hand.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9276 on: October 28, 2015, 09:06:50 pm »

I'm sure I can learn it properly, now that I have the basis down.  I'll likely go back and do some reading on my own.  From what I've heard, derivatives and definite integrals are the easiest part of calculus, and that seems to be the only parts this class covers, since its more business calculus than scientific.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9277 on: October 28, 2015, 09:39:36 pm »

I'm sure I can learn it properly, now that I have the basis down.  I'll likely go back and do some reading on my own.  From what I've heard, derivatives and definite integrals are the easiest part of calculus, and that seems to be the only parts this class covers, since its more business calculus than scientific.

Just about anything involving only derivatives is going to be easier than anything involving integrals.

(I always find it a touch humorous that in numerical analysis, quite the opposite is true.)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9278 on: October 29, 2015, 07:41:46 am »
And suddenly when math-talk is concerned, I lose the ability to understand words.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9279 on: October 29, 2015, 08:51:48 am »
And suddenly when math-talk is concerned, I lose the ability to understand words.

you and me both.

*shivers* math buffs... scary.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9280 on: October 29, 2015, 12:13:40 pm »
Same goes for me (granted I failed basic maths so.)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9281 on: October 29, 2015, 12:22:14 pm »
Math is nowhere as scary as writing. Essays and short stories used to give me nightmares.

Then again, my language skills still suck. It might not be as easy to notice when I write in English but I have at least as many spelling errors and other mistakes when I write in Finnish.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9282 on: October 29, 2015, 03:54:10 pm »
Math is nowhere as scary as writing. Essays and short stories used to give me nightmares.

Then again, my language skills still suck. It might not be as easy to notice when I write in English but I have at least as many spelling errors and other mistakes when I write in Finnish.

maybe that's because finnish is a goddamn complicated language with eldritch grammar? everybody says french and latin are tough, but it's peanuts compared to spoken chinese and written finnish! i mean, i picked up latin without ever studying it. finnish? aside from "vittu", i've no idea where to begin. it's so complicated even scandinavia weirds out when seeing finnish. and they're neighbors!

(panic-rant over)

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #9283 on: October 29, 2015, 04:23:26 pm »

Oh man, a calculus discussion? :D  Awesome!

So, what do you get when you integrate 1/cabin with respect to cabin? :3

And @guizonde, Finnish isn't even an Indo-European language like the Scandinavian ones.  It's a Finno-Ugric language.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9284 on: October 29, 2015, 04:36:39 pm »
And @guizonde, Finnish isn't even an Indo-European language like the Scandinavian ones.  It's a Finno-Ugric language.

yeah i know, had a girlfriend who had a girl-boner for the language and tried to learn it...

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯