Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2066843 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9810 on: March 14, 2016, 12:10:17 am »
Last night I left work at 1:45, drove for 20 minutes, and got home a little after 3. Not a big problem except for the clopen shift.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:37:04 pm by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #9811 on: March 14, 2016, 11:06:06 am »
A protest doesn't need to avoid being an inconvenience or illigal.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9812 on: March 14, 2016, 01:41:31 pm »
To all you people whining about DST: show me your alternative, "more natural" time standard and I'll show you how it too is hopelessly complicated and/or artificial.

Daylight saving time isn't a hassle for me.

Okay. It's called not changing your time zone every six months. Very natural, very simple. Doesn't require me to suddenly get up at what my body thinks is 5:30 in the morning to go to work at what my body thinks is 6 in the morning.

Time zones themselves are not very intuitive; we keep them around because it's what we've been using for the past 150-ish years. If we wanted the "most natural" reckoning we have the technology to convert longitude to apparent solar time (where the sun is highest in the sky at 12:00 p.m.) or sidereal time, but then you're abandoning the 24-hour day; worse, in the case of apparent solar time, each day doesn't have the same length. If you really want a 24-hour day with independently-defined seconds, you still have to correct for Earth's irregular rotation and add leap seconds if you want it to seem like a solar day.

I accept the mild DST kludge on top of the multiple kludges we already have in time measurement.

Saying "everything is a kludge" is a fully general argument in favour of every dumb modification of time standards.

What does DST add to the table that is worth its drawbacks?
Σא

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9813 on: March 14, 2016, 02:34:44 pm »
To all you people whining about DST: show me your alternative, "more natural" time standard and I'll show you how it too is hopelessly complicated and/or artificial.

Okay. It's called not changing your time zone every six months. Very natural, very simple. Doesn't require me to suddenly get up at what my body thinks is 5:30 in the morning to go to work at what my body thinks is 6 in the morning.

Time zones themselves are not very intuitive; we keep them around because it's what we've been using for the past 150-ish years. If we wanted the "most natural" reckoning we have the technology to convert longitude to apparent solar time (where the sun is highest in the sky at 12:00 p.m.) or sidereal time, but then you're abandoning the 24-hour day; worse, in the case of apparent solar time, each day doesn't have the same length. If you really want a 24-hour day with independently-defined seconds, you still have to correct for Earth's irregular rotation and add leap seconds if you want it to seem like a solar day.

I accept the mild DST kludge on top of the multiple kludges we already have in time measurement.

Saying "everything is a kludge" is a fully general argument in favour of every dumb modification of time standards.

I didn't say everything was a kludge. The SI definition for the second being tied to the oscillations of a Cs-133 atom is extremely precise and simple.

At my latitude, having the sun up an hour later in the evening is worth it. Subjectively worth it to me, at least.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9814 on: March 15, 2016, 12:35:04 pm »
Continuing on the parasite problem with my kids (which is not meant to say that my kids are parasites) that I should have given a TMI tag previously already:

(click to show/hide)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9815 on: March 15, 2016, 12:51:39 pm »
LOL. Even when they do gross things, it's cute. Babies really are just semi-feral infant primates, after all. I recall my mom telling nearly identical stories about my antics when I got infected by pinworms as a toddler. We all start out as cheeky monkeys!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:53:57 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #9816 on: March 15, 2016, 01:51:42 pm »
Reddit, please stop fantasizing about running over protestors for inconveniencing you.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9817 on: March 15, 2016, 05:02:30 pm »

I didn't say everything was a kludge. The SI definition for the second being tied to the oscillations of a Cs-133 atom is extremely precise and simple.

At my latitude, having the sun up an hour later in the evening is worth it. Subjectively worth it to me, at least.

...that's not an argument? You're literally just saying you like DST and that's it.
Σא

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9818 on: March 17, 2016, 03:07:59 pm »
Running low on money. Things should get easier in a while but we racked up a lot of extra expenses at the same time as my working hours got reduced.

...Then again, I had to get my car fixed or I wouldn't be working even this much and some of the other expenses were also unavoidable. Still it hurts a bit.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9819 on: March 17, 2016, 08:50:58 pm »
See, I survived. And now you all suffer for it. Shoulda had EA month decades ago XD.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #9820 on: March 22, 2016, 09:58:36 pm »
So, my brother shared his Steam library with me because I wanted to play Undertale.  So I play Undertale, go the "true pacifist" route . . . and then get forced to stop during the playable epilogue because Steam kicked me off since my brother started playing one of his games.  I was at the end, dammit!

Even Then

« Reply #9821 on: March 25, 2016, 07:39:43 pm »
Things that annoy me today:

- People still using "hurr hurr you have a small penis" insults as if that doesn't translate to "your cosmetic inadequacies that you can't help are worthy of mockery because you're in my opposition, body shaming is alright as long as it's people I don't like amirite".
- Calling body-shaming, or caring about same, a strictly "Tumblr" thing to delegitimize the issue.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #9822 on: March 25, 2016, 08:01:43 pm »
Things that annoy me: passive-aggressively posting about things in a different topic instead of confronting the person who's annoying you up front, in the topic in which they're doing the things that are annoying you. Even Then, talking about you here. I've seen you do it twice now this week.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Even Then

« Reply #9823 on: March 25, 2016, 08:06:41 pm »
You're right. I shouldn't be doing this, it's not fair for anyone. However, there are times when I'm scared of confrontation, especially against people I like or feel like I share a sense of community with. That's not an excuse or a justification, I still know that it's shitty; it's just an explanation for why I'm so bad at this.

But you're right. From now on, I'll try to be better about confronting people directly. I apologize to you, Queen and Dakota, and I thank you for bringing this up. I'm not gonna go into the thread to repeat myself as I feel I've already said my piece, but in the future I'll do my best to not be this pathetic.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:11:05 pm by Even Then »

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #9824 on: March 25, 2016, 08:16:33 pm »
Things that annoy me: passive-aggressively posting about things in a different topic instead of confronting the person who's annoying you up front, in the topic in which they're doing the things that are annoying you. Even Then, talking about you here. I've seen you do it twice now this week.

Eh, I don't mind. And what happened between Even then and Dakota is between Even then and Dakota.

ETA: and at least with regards to me, he does have a point.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?