Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2065544 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9990 on: May 22, 2016, 08:23:18 pm »
And why bother killing off Data if you're essentially gonna bring him back immediately?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9991 on: May 23, 2016, 01:06:30 am »
Data was killed because his actor insisted that Data must die. He thought that it doesn't make sense for him to play an android as he keeps getting older and why the hell would an android visibly age? The copy of Data was written into the film because the studio demanded that there must be a way for them to get Data back in case they want to use the character again.

I'm not sure if he actually hated playing Data and if the age thing was just an excuse.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9992 on: May 24, 2016, 04:44:27 am »
People who think supporting anything less than completely open boarders means you're racist.

Although come to think of it, I'm finding politics in general to be fucking obnoxious nowadays. No matter the issue, it seems like both sides always have their own unique brand of bullshit.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9993 on: May 24, 2016, 05:17:16 am »
The trick is to know that there are more than two sides. In fact, even in USA which has de-facto two-party system there are usually more than two sides to an issue.

And there's a chance that you don't find a party (or a politician) that agrees with you on every damn issue even if there are multiple parties.

So if you go with "those who do not on my side must be against me" you will have a hard time finding anyone who is 100% agreeing with you but have no problems in finding new enemies.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9994 on: May 24, 2016, 05:43:11 am »
The trick is to know that there are more than two sides. In fact, even in USA which has de-facto two-party system there are usually more than two sides to an issue.
True that. Maybe would've been smarter to not specify two sides, eh?
And there's a chance that you don't find a party (or a politician) that agrees with you on every damn issue even if there are multiple parties.

So if you go with "those who do not on my side must be against me" you will have a hard time finding anyone who is 100% agreeing with you but have no problems in finding new enemies.
I know that. I'm not lamenting there being no politicians or parties that 100% agree with me on every last thing. I'm saying that for any given stance on any given issue, there always seems to be at least one, if not a hell of a lot more, commonly spouted talking points that are complete bullshit (whether or not I agree with the "side" in question isn't really relevant).

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9995 on: May 25, 2016, 12:29:27 pm »
Does anyone actually want fully, 100% open borders?  I don't mean they'd want that in an ideal world where that was workable, I mean does anyone actually think that's a realistic, practical thing that would work in the real world as it currently is?  I've never really encountered anyone arguing for that, but then I've not been in the sorts of places where one would.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 03:06:53 am by Katsuro »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9996 on: May 25, 2016, 01:13:14 pm »
Yes, many people argue for 100% open borders.
Σא

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #9997 on: May 25, 2016, 02:03:26 pm »
Does anyone actually want fully, 100% open borders?  I don't mean they'd want that in an ideal world where that was workable, I mean does anyone actual think that's a realistic, practical thing that would work in the real world as it current is?  I've never really encountered anyone arguing for that, but then I've not been in the sorts of places where one would.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k40su7eHgIs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k40su7eHgIs</a>

Not just anyone, but the best of people.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #9998 on: May 25, 2016, 03:40:52 pm »
Serj!
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
« Reply #9999 on: May 26, 2016, 12:58:37 pm »
What's with this emergence of Swedish RWNJs and why have they taken to bashing Canada of all countries?
Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau

If you're not uncomfortable, you're not growing - Thomas J. Watson

The best defense against bullshit is vigilance, so if you smell something say something - Jon Stewart

Even Then

« Reply #10000 on: May 26, 2016, 06:56:15 pm »
I'm gonna wager a guess and say it's their shitty inferior sauna technology frying their brains. Anyway, thing that annoys me:

Phrasing matters. Historical context and weight matters. Blanket statements are reductive and inaccurate. If you're* going to say something like "it was [group] that did [bad thing]", consider instead:

- elucidating your intended meaning from the get-go by using more specific language ("the people who did [bad thing] were part of [group]" instead of "[group] did [bad thing]" because phrasing does matter)
- doing some research beforehand (for example, finding out that "[group] is responsible for [bad thing]" has been used as basis for historical genocide and dehumanization of [group] and making your rhetorical point some other way)
- sparing some actual thought (was the ultimate responsibility for [bad thing] on members of [group] or on [people who belong to another group]?)
- doing something else with your life than try to argue that it was Jewish people who killed/persecuted Jesus, and then backtrack into saying you only meant """some""" Jewish people when called on it

*general you
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:00:05 pm by Even Then »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10001 on: May 28, 2016, 01:03:36 am »
Dry skin. The palms of my hands are now covered in a bunch of tiny little painful cracks.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10002 on: May 28, 2016, 01:06:32 pm »
Have you ever been so angry that you would read 70+ pages of UN reports?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10003 on: May 28, 2016, 04:33:57 pm »
I try not to let UP get to me that bad.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #10004 on: May 28, 2016, 04:39:57 pm »
My dream is to someday make people that angry.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.