Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2067147 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10276 on: December 19, 2016, 12:15:30 am »
But if the rebels just did what they were told then the Empire wouldn't have needed to blow up Alderaan!

CHECKMATE JEDI!

It was never about the rebels. The entire point of having the Death star was to scare everyone so that they would not dare to resist the Empire. Tarkin says it himself:

Governor Tarkin: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away forever.
General Tagge: But that's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?
Governor Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

They blew up Alderaan to show that they are crazy enough to blow up planets. Even if there had been no rebellion they would have destroyed some planet just to prove their point.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #10277 on: December 19, 2016, 12:52:32 am »
Look that quote from Tarkin was probably just a joke.  It was only locker room talk of the sort that all guys get up to.  It's not what he meant at all.  What about all those secret holograms that Princess Leia was sending out?  Why isn't the media talking about that?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10278 on: December 20, 2016, 09:02:03 am »
Apparently, Ultima IX: Redemption, the only Ultima IX remake that hasn't, to my knowledge, either died or gone silent for several years has morphed, with almost zero forewarning, into an "inspired by Ultima" game.  The kicker?  Almost everything about the game (which was to be a Morrowind mod) has been scrubbed off the site.  Yet, they've got the gall to use the name "Titans of Ether" for the domain and community.

God fucking damn it.  "I got this big announcement for Redemption," Corv says.  "You guys are gonna love it," he says.  I'm sorry, I was under the mistaken impression that your entire reason for starting the project in the first place was to give the series the ending it deserved.  I thought the project I'd been following for YEARS, having watched every single progress report, read nearly every update, and whose timeline I'd read so many times, I could almost recite it from memory, would've had some kind of milestone hit...not see it shelved for something completely fucking different.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10279 on: December 20, 2016, 09:36:56 am »
Look that quote from Tarkin was probably just a joke.  It was only locker room talk of the sort that all guys get up to.  It's not what he meant at all.  What about all those secret holograms that Princess Leia was sending out?  Why isn't the media talking about that?

Just like when Duterte said that he had personally killed drug addicts it was just a metaphor? And I really wish that this whole "Empire did nothing wrong!" meme was a hilarious hyperbole instead of something far too common in the real world.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10280 on: December 21, 2016, 07:56:46 pm »
I can hear my own heartbeat in my right ear, and it's really getting on my tits.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #10281 on: December 22, 2016, 07:58:55 pm »

Just like when Duterte said that he had personally killed drug addicts it was just a metaphor? And I really wish that this whole "Empire did nothing wrong!" meme was a hilarious hyperbole instead of something far too common in the real world.

I should also note that there is overwhelming evidence that the destruction of the Death Star was probably an inside job.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEPazLTGceI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEPazLTGceI</a>

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #10282 on: December 22, 2016, 08:06:16 pm »
I find myself annoyed by just how many far right wing old men I run into at 24 hour fitness.

Old, white, pudgy, and probably willing to go on a shpiel about how superior the white race is.

If they did so, I confess I'd want to ask them to prove it, and if they'd be up to it. Then I'd start increasing the speed on the treadmill one of them was running on. After all, a specimen of a superior race should be able to run as fast as needed, correct?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10283 on: December 24, 2016, 05:01:42 am »
Power outages at 4:30 AM, setting your UPS beeping up a storm when you're trying to sleep, and not ending for three damn hours. (And when it does end, there's a huge beep from all your appliances that makes your heart skip a beat.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #10284 on: December 26, 2016, 08:31:43 pm »
It seems like the term "alt-right" is being over/misused more than "ironic".
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #10285 on: December 26, 2016, 10:01:53 pm »
It seems like the term "alt-right" is being over/misused more than "ironic".

It's kind of the alt-right's strategy. At the core of the alt-right is a feeling that the white man has been discriminated against socially and politically (in the form of social justice, affirmative action, equal pay, and political correctness) and a call to fight back against this discrimination by being raging fucking cock-weasels. However, being a raging fucking cock-weasel is not very good for attracting membership because that level of bigotry is properly shunned, so they embrace this hatred while downplaying and dismissing it as, oddly enough, ironic. Beyond this, the alt-right doesn't have very many beliefs as it is openly critical of "cuckservatives" and their political views. So, in essence, they're white nationalists, except when they're only being ironic, and they loosely follow more traditional conservative politics (of low taxes, state's rights, limited government), except when those politics are cucky. Because it is so wishiwashy in what it believes, it is very easy to believe that people are overusing it or using it improperly. The irony is that as much as the alt-right cries about identity politics and a culture of victimization among women, LGBTQ folks, and African-Americans, identity politics and a culture of persecution sit at the heart of the alt-right.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10286 on: December 27, 2016, 12:09:07 am »
Alt-Right are the kind of people who shout "Heil Hitler!" and talk about a violent revolution to overthrow the legal government so that they can set up a Fascist country and exterminate the Untermensch (using that specific term) but if you call them Fascists or Neo-Nazis they act surprised and hurt and demand that you prove your claim and then argue about semantics of what counts as Fascism.

...The tactic is pretty much the same as the one that GG and UP have.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #10287 on: December 27, 2016, 12:34:12 am »
What I'm talking about is how the term is being thrown about to describe "something I don't like." Kind of like how wingnuts call everything they disagree with "communism."
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #10288 on: December 27, 2016, 01:25:07 am »
What I'm talking about is how the term is being thrown about to describe "something I don't like." Kind of like how wingnuts call everything they disagree with "communism."

But I think my observation went over your head. Communism is a set of values as they relate to policies that one can readily ascertain and measure by a set of criteria, for which there is a general consensus (i.e. ask "what is the policy" and then read The Communist Manifesto and Das Kapital, and see if the policy meshes with those writings). The alt-right is noticeably more vague in what it believes, being a hodge-podge of various groups that believe white men have it so hard, and lashing out at others for their perceived misfortune. The alt-right has two other reasons that hamper its clarity as a philosophy. The first is that, aside from Breitbart, it lacks any kind of centralized organization or entity, making it more susceptible to fragmentation of beliefs. Second, like I said above, many followers of the alt-right will openly dismiss their beliefs or actions as "mere irony" if given any scrutiny.

I mean, it takes a special kind of shitty person to say "lets send all blacks back to Africa" or to throw up a nazi salute with a "heil hitler," only to follow it up by saying "no, you take it too literally. I was just being ironic and exuberant, you sjw."
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10289 on: December 27, 2016, 02:34:39 am »
The government had the Pirate Bay banned.

On the upside, there are so fucking many mirror sites, as well as other torrent sites that it's really just a very mild inconvenience.