Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2065464 times)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #1815 on: August 06, 2012, 10:04:18 pm »
Holy hell. I didnt know HOA's were real, I thought they were a stupid sitcom exaggeration. God I cant stop laughing
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #1816 on: August 06, 2012, 10:10:33 pm »
They're real, and they're fucking ridiculous. They try to suck you in with a picturesque family-friendly environment, but charge you monthly fucking HOA fees and limit what you can do to your property.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1817 on: August 06, 2012, 10:15:03 pm »
They're real, and they're fucking ridiculous. They try to suck you in with a picturesque family-friendly environment, but charge you monthly fucking HOA fees and limit what you can do to your property.
Wait, you actually have to pay them for membership?! Who the fuck would be stupid enough to pay total strangers to stick their collective noses in your business?

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #1818 on: August 06, 2012, 10:16:24 pm »
People who live in condos.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Jebediah

• Official FSTDT Welcome Committee Head
  • The Beast
  • Winner.
« Reply #1819 on: August 06, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »
Wait, you actually have to pay them for membership?! Who the fuck would be stupid enough to pay total strangers to stick their collective noses in your business?

A lot of the time, when you buy a house that's attached to an HOA, you don't get to say, "No I don't want to be a part of that." You either pay them the membership dues, or you find another house.
Everybody's doin' the fish.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1820 on: August 06, 2012, 10:27:39 pm »
A lot of the time, when you buy a house that's attached to an HOA, you don't get to say, "No I don't want to be a part of that." You either pay them the membership dues, or you find another house.
There's no way that's legal. These twats aren't the local government, they're little more than a rather despotic club. What the fuck are they going to do if you refuse to pay?

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #1821 on: August 06, 2012, 10:34:36 pm »
There's no way that's legal. These twats aren't the local government, they're little more than a rather despotic club. What the fuck are they going to do if you refuse to pay?

It's legal. It's in the contract you sign.

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1822 on: August 06, 2012, 10:41:46 pm »
Well that's some serious bullshit right there. Whichever moron in the government decided that mandating this sort of thing is a good idea needs to be keep as far away from any position of authority as humanly possible.

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #1823 on: August 06, 2012, 10:44:04 pm »
Well that's some serious bullshit right there. Whichever moron in the government decided that mandating this sort of thing is a good idea needs to be keep as far away from any position of authority as humanly possible.

It was created by a real estate developer. It's not like every home is mandated in such a manner -- only certain communities.

Not to say that I support it. I find it to be absolute shit. But it's the choice of the developer, if they want to do such a thing. People buy into it, somehow.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:46:26 pm by Sleepy »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1824 on: August 06, 2012, 10:50:14 pm »
It was created by a real estate developer. It's not like every home is mandated in such a manner -- only certain communities.

Not to say that I support it. I find it to be absolute shit. But it's the choice of the developer, if they want to do such a thing. People buy into it, somehow.
Ah, yeah, that's not so bad. Still bullshit, but if morons want to willingly buy into it, that's their funeral.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #1825 on: August 06, 2012, 10:56:34 pm »
I guess if you live in a built-up area and it's incorporated you have to ask before you consider the house if it's part of the HOA.    I don't know.  I've only lived in areas where it didn't matter what the heck you did.  Oddly enough though people still try to keep up with the Joneses even if they don't really have to.

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #1826 on: August 06, 2012, 10:58:46 pm »

Ah, yeah, that's not so bad. Still bullshit, but if morons want to willingly buy into it, that's their funeral.

Yeah, it's not like the buyer is unaware of its presence in the contract. They're informed that they'll pay X amount per month in HOA fees. Like I said, it seems to be the appeal of these family-friendly communities (or Stepford communities, I call them) that overrides the freedom of choice.

Offline Jebediah

• Official FSTDT Welcome Committee Head
  • The Beast
  • Winner.
« Reply #1827 on: August 06, 2012, 10:59:09 pm »
In our defense (because yes, we do have an HOA where I live) there wasn't much of a choice. At the time my parents bought this house, they had to take what they could get.
Everybody's doin' the fish.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #1828 on: August 06, 2012, 11:00:27 pm »
Stepford communities...

EVERYBODY BUNDLES! 

PUPPY!

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #1829 on: August 06, 2012, 11:06:36 pm »
In our defense (because yes, we do have an HOA where I live) there wasn't much of a choice. At the time my parents bought this house, they had to take what they could get.

That's perfectly understandable. I'm only annoyed with snobby people like my ex's family who move there in a "keeping up with the Joneses" type situation so they can showcase their perfect neighborhood to everyone who visits.