Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2066393 times)

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #2100 on: September 06, 2012, 03:27:26 pm »
Whenever I see an asterisk after "trans."

I'm sick of this "oh its more inclusive" thing. No its not, its a stupid thing done by internet hipsters so they can bitch and moan about how big bad QueenofHearts is a bigot. Kind of like that whole "tumblr SJW thread" how people come up with new reasons to cry bigotry. If you want to come up with an umbrella term (I feel genderqueer is a perfect one....) then come up with a better umbrella term, or just say "the trans community." This asterisk crap is a giant difference that makes no difference and is therefore a waste of time.

That may or may not have been building up for a while.
I'd find it less frustrating if it didn't leave me looking for a foot note each damn time. I've been considering suggesting alternate special characters that can be used as anything for matching purposes, but I rather figured % would fall on deaf ears.
I can't tell if you're being snarky or not, but I figured you'd recognize the wildcard character.

I really don't care about the issue. But the use of it does make me wonder, there's transman, transwoman, and whatelse? Transplant?

Offline Gst0395

• Apprentice
« Reply #2101 on: September 06, 2012, 03:42:24 pm »
You ever get that annoying ringing/beeping noise in your ear when everything is really, really silent (you can't hear anything else) and you can't do nothing to stop it? That annoys me.
Youtube: Gst0395
Pixar Planet: Geoff-uk1234

Distind

« Reply #2102 on: September 06, 2012, 04:17:58 pm »
I can't tell if you're being snarky or not, but I figured you'd recognize the wildcard character.
Almost never use that one honestly, typically have a better range to work with. Plus I read to many RPG books that use it for indicating a foot note.

I really don't care about the issue. But the use of it does make me wonder, there's transman, transwoman, and whatelse? Transplant?
Lessee
Transabled
Transethinc
Transspecies(i don't see why otherkin haven't outright adopted this, some certainly imply it enough)
Transfat(no I'm not kidding)

I'm waiting to find a transtrans before much longer. If only for amusement's sake. And now that I think about it, I have seen someone claiming to have the spirit of a turnip or something, so transplant isn't out of the realm of possibility. Sanity, sure, possibility, apparently not.

But oddly enough, that damn * is pretty much used for the same point it'd be used as a wild card, anything trans, being inclusive and all.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #2103 on: September 06, 2012, 04:38:17 pm »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're using the wildcard character that way.

I've seen Transfat before, I thought that was a joke. Transethnic has me outright confused, I'll have to go read up on that.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #2104 on: September 06, 2012, 09:11:38 pm »
Lessee
Transabled
Transethinc
Transspecies(i don't see why otherkin haven't outright adopted this, some certainly imply it enough)
Transfat(no I'm not kidding)

I'm waiting to find a transtrans before much longer. If only for amusement's sake. And now that I think about it, I have seen someone claiming to have the spirit of a turnip or something, so transplant isn't out of the realm of possibility. Sanity, sure, possibility, apparently not.

But oddly enough, that damn * is pretty much used for the same point it'd be used as a wild card, anything trans, being inclusive and all.

Well so as not to create a strawman, the asterisk does not include those groups, it includes groups like "crossdressers, intersexed, genderqueer, drag performers, etc" and not trivial snowflake groups like the ones you've listed.

My problem with using it is, again, I feel it serves no real purpose. If we are referring to the full group as trans, why can't we have two different meanings of the word "trans?" We have two different meanings of many words, "you" in this instance being very similar to what I'm trying to say. Heck, we could even use "trans" as the umbrella term and then use phrases like "transman, transwoman, and transgender" as the specific groups. If the asterisk folk want a catch all umbrella term, please come up with it. It's just so trivial that people write "trans*" and think they're somehow less bigoted than one who doesn't. They don't say "trans asterisk" in they're speech, so clearly they only care about trans et. al. people when they write (sarcasm). Even if we did need another catch all, I feel "et. al." or, again, "genderqueer" is far better than that damn asterisk. I cringe every time I see it.

And yes Sim, I'm being dead serious about the asterisk. I know its history as a search engine wild card and I still think its a difference that's being shoehorned in to label those who are accepting and point out those who are bigoted.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2105 on: September 06, 2012, 09:19:29 pm »
Ya know...why don't they just use "transfolk?"  Doesn't use a confusing wildcard/footnote character, isn't as irritating, and is at least as inclusive as the asterisk, whilst ya know...actually making fucking sense.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2106 on: September 07, 2012, 12:08:47 am »
Being the only person on in my department, especially when it takes over about half of the bottom floor, and I have to check 3 fitting rooms.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #2107 on: September 07, 2012, 01:08:38 am »
My cat threw up today, and we were out of paper towels, so we had to clean it up with toilet paper.  As soon as we finished, she threw up again.  How can a creature that small produce that much vomit!?
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2108 on: September 07, 2012, 11:47:29 am »
It's a secret known only by cats.  I think they have dimensionally transcendent stomachs.  It's nice how they wait until you get almost done cleaning up their first barf, and they barf again.  I sometimes have to follow mine around, because god forbid they stay in one place and just puke until they're done, then go about their business.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2109 on: September 07, 2012, 12:20:51 pm »
It's even worse when a dog barfs. The heaps of vomit are almost impressive in their size and horror.

And they always do it on the carpet (when they aren't doing it on your bed or laundry). Even if you try to move them to a hard surface, they'll speed up the gagging in order to ensure that their puke will end up on your carpet. I know it's instinct to seek out grass-like surfaces, but that doesn't make it any less annoying (or gross) when you're cleaning it up.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2110 on: September 07, 2012, 12:29:50 pm »
Heh, my dog would always go outside to release bodily excretions of any sort, chunder included. I have to say, it's a very nice feature to have in a dog.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2111 on: September 07, 2012, 01:19:43 pm »
Lucky you. My old dog would just stand up, move to the nearest carpet if necessary, and spew. He was good about waiting to go outside before relieving himself, though. Except the time he shit on my ex-boyfriend's pillow when we first moved in together.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:21:41 pm by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #2112 on: September 07, 2012, 01:33:24 pm »
Was that a case of retroactive karma?  The ex would eventually deserve to have dog shit on his pillow?
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2113 on: September 07, 2012, 02:02:03 pm »
I used to have a dog named Peanut.  A Golden Retriever/Chow mix.  When she was young, man she would get carsick like nobody's business.  It's amazing the amount of puke that would come out of that dog when we took her to the vet.   I would dread those days...

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #2114 on: September 08, 2012, 05:11:15 am »
I missed my 666th post.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"