Author Topic: ANOTHER Steubenville case  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Re: ANOTHER Steubenville case
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 11:08:12 pm »
I think that the parents of the kids involved in these rape and flash incidents should be held liable as well. I don't know what kind of punishment that the parents should get but I do think that a lot of these problems are because of lack of discipline, no respect for themselves and others around them, etc. I feel sometimes that some kids just need a good ass whuppin' and that we have taken the ability for parents to discipline their kids away from them. I know that this isn't a popular stance here but that's honestly how I feel.

These kids need a good "whuppin" for sure, and the parents probably do too, though... I doubt that will happen. *sighs... and cries a bit*...

What can we do to help stop rape culture?
Help to slowly chip away at it in any way possible. Stress the importance of feminism. Recruit male and female allies to help spread this message. Link problems of sexism with other forms of discrimination like racism, homophobia and transphobia so as not to appear dismissive about the problems that other minorities face all while building a broad coalition of allies. Call people out if they make sexist jokes or jokes about rape. There are many small ways to change people's outlooks.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 11:24:09 pm »
Society's treatment of these girls makes it a lot worse.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 11:59:39 pm »
Society's treatment of these girls makes it a lot worse.

It seems that a crime of a grotesque and violent nature, one that remained in the shadows and that violated so many women and still is, that of rape, of whom the violators usually kept silent about and hidden so as not to get caught, is now being openly boasted on the Internet in some sort of delusion that by posting and boasting this crime to the world gives them some sort of imaginary ego points and that they (the violators) are somehow immune, anonymous, and invincible. That this type of crime (among cyberbullying) is bringing attention to the very real implications of what rape culture is and that women have a long way to go to achieve any more actual equaltarian strongholds in this patriarchal society. Also, it seems that we are seeing what probably most of us already know about the Internet: that while it can seemingly be a benevolent conglomerate of information, socialization, and general sharing of ideas, et.al. it can very much also be used as a deadly weapon, however, by proxy as it seems, against others using it.

There is an entire new realm of sociology when it comes to the Internet, in that we are not just dealing with a medium but an entire new culture, one that we are only beginning to figure out and already in the past decade we have learned that the Internet is not entirely safe and we are seeing among young people that they are taking this medium for granted.

I'd type more as I don't think I am articulating what I want to say that well, but basically, we are seeing all shades of human nature being played out on the Internet.   
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Art Vandelay

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 12:01:55 am »
Well, I guess gang rape is what all the cool kids are doing nowadays. At least school shootings don't seem to be in vogue anymore.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 12:32:14 am »
Oh, good, they're nice and close by. The rapists are in San Jose, not too far away from where I live. Should be fairly easy for me to, ahem, teach them a lesson.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 01:00:34 am »
Oh, good, they're nice and close by. The rapists are in San Jose, not too far away from where I live. Should be fairly easy for me to, ahem, teach them a lesson.
Gonna ring their doorbell and run? :P

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 01:08:33 am »
If they're like the Steubenville Big Reds, in that they're sports players, for the sake of irony and reversing the 80's stereotype, I'll throw an egg at them.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 01:11:30 am »
Gonna ring their doorbell and run? :P

You've got to do that as part of leaving a flaming edgar.