Author Topic: "Nice Guys" of OkCupid  (Read 88628 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: "Nice Guys" of OkCupid
« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2013, 01:04:47 pm »
Sounds like a date to me. ;)

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2013, 05:17:18 am »
Also, one oddity I noticed with the questions is how they do the comparisons. An answer is put in red if the person's answer (and preferences for how others should answer, as well as what importance they put on the question) is too different from yours, which indicates incompatibility. The problem is that it doesn't compensate for answers where differing answers would be a GOOD thing. Like if I answer that I prefer giving massages and the girl prefers receiving them, it gets listed as incompatible.

It'll also list an incompatibility if one person says that they would engage (or have engaged) in a homosexual relationship and the other says that they wouldn't. I know it's just because their algorithm doesn't have any way of acknowledging the answers beyond simple "How different are their answers?" coding, but it ends up implying that straight people have an incompatibility with bisexual people purely for not being attracted to their own sex.
Nope, that's not how it works. When choosing your answer, you also choose what answers you view as acceptable or not.

So you can have someone saying he's liberal and deciding wether he accepts only liberals, or only conservatives, or both, or neither. Same for the attraction to other sex, or whatever other subject.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2013, 03:36:19 pm »
I'm not sure exactly how OkCupid seems to weight its Match/Friends/Enemies questions. A girl I'm talking to is matched at only 49% and hits 68% for friends. But the only place where we have less than 50% similarity is sex, and everything else is in the 70s and 80s. Either the weighting is odd, or she puts a REALLY high priority on the biting and bondage.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ottery

• Neonate
  • Rada rada rada
    • I have a tumblr
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2013, 03:46:15 pm »
A lovely gent called The Frogman mocks guys of OKcupid a lot. XD

Art Vandelay

« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2013, 08:53:05 pm »
That 2nd one seems to be royally taking the piss.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2013, 09:11:51 pm »

That's Frogman. He's pretty much an institution of internet comedy, especially on tumblr. From what I've read of him, he has some kind of condition that prevents him from working a regular job, so he uses his comedy talent to try and achieve success.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2013, 09:14:15 pm »

That's Frogman. He's pretty much an institution of internet comedy, especially on tumblr. From what I've read of him, he has some kind of condition that prevents him from working a regular job, so he uses his comedy talent to try and achieve success.
Really?  I wish him the best, then.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2013, 09:27:40 pm »

From what I've found recently, it's chronic fatigue syndrome.

Offline Ottery

• Neonate
  • Rada rada rada
    • I have a tumblr
« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2013, 10:04:24 pm »

That, and depression. The poor guy gets anon hate that borders on the absolute cruel.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2013, 10:44:49 pm »

That, and depression. The poor guy gets anon hate that borders on the absolute cruel.

And yet he manages to deliver verbal beatdowns, not for his own benefit, but for the benefit of other people who have had to suffer same anon hate.

There have also been good uses of anon posts.

I think what's worse than the anon hate is the people who think they can fix all of his problems.  One such person told him that he needed a vegan diet, and it would start to fix all of his problems.

-_-
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2013, 10:47:29 pm »

I think what's worse than the anon hate is the people who think they can fix all of his problems.  One such person told him that he needed a vegan diet, and it would start to fix all of his problems.
-_-

I hope he responded with nothing but a ton of closeups of him biting into various meat products and staring into the camera.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2013, 01:03:34 am »
Sounds like a date to me. ;)

Sometimes I hate being in text form.

Ironbite-I truly can't tell sometimes when people are joking with me.  Not since....THE CHANGE!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #192 on: May 07, 2013, 01:21:17 am »

-_-

I hope he responded with nothing but a ton of closeups of him biting into various meat products and staring into the camera.

Actually he responded (in the comments) more or less saying "Unless you can give me a reason why you're better than my doctors, I'll take their advice over yours."

Leading to more "MEAT IS POISON VEGANISM IS GOOD WHARGARBL" with several people, including other vegans calling him out on his bullshit.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2013, 12:16:11 pm »

And yet he manages to deliver verbal beatdowns, not for his own benefit, but for the benefit of other people who have had to suffer same anon hate.

-_-

There was also that one armchair psychologist who said he was depressed because he was fat. As in that was the sole cause. As if it isn't possible for the depression to come first. That something else has to be wrong with you for you to get depressed.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #194 on: May 08, 2013, 12:11:28 am »

-_-

There was also that one armchair psychologist who said he was depressed because he was fat. As in that was the sole cause. As if it isn't possible for the depression to come first. That something else has to be wrong with you for you to get depressed.

Frogman is awesome. He is an all around nice guy. In the traditional meaning of nice guy.

(Not a member of mafia.)

The only thing I disagree with him is the current "misandry does not exist/is caused by misoguny" arc of his.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!