Author Topic: An Ugandan blogger responds to Kony 2012  (Read 7833 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: An Ugandan blogger responds to Kony 2012
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 08:12:20 am »
I've always thought the agency argument was bullshit. If Africans are capable of acting, it says, all of the actions that have led to this point must have been theirs. As one blogger pointed out, that's not even a thought.

It does NOT deny agency to Africans to say that they are being persecuted by an awful person- or a group of people. It does NOT deny agency to them to say that they have found it difficult to combat these people due to lack of organisation or weapons or will or whatever. It is NOT racist to say that we should lend a helping hand*.

*Though I wouldn't trust the US to do so.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 01:23:00 pm »
Aren't a lot of the problems they currently have are BECAUSE we "lent a helping hand"?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 05:30:35 pm »
Pretty much.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 05:32:30 pm »
Aren't a lot of the problems they currently have are BECAUSE we "lent a helping hand"?

Not really. Neither classical nor neo-Imperialism was meant to help Africans, that was just an excuse.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 06:24:02 pm »
Well, isn't that was this is? An excuse, supposed to "help" Africans, but really it's just going to cause more problems.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 06:37:01 pm »
Do you reckon? I mean, sure they have connections to fundamentalist Christian groups, but that doesn't prove that they're insincere. Nor are they the pawns of some neo-imperial conspiracy, like some have suggested. I think they're honestly trying to help out, just in a stupid and shallow way.

Wheras, say, King Leopold did not intend to help Africans- he intended to exploit them.

-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 08:51:51 pm »
I would think that targeting a warlord who isn't relevant anymore and hasn't been for years proves that they're insincere.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 08:55:24 pm »
I would think that targeting a warlord who isn't relevant anymore and hasn't been for years proves that they're insincere.

We said if they're sincere then they're stupid about it, so they could be a little behind.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 09:02:39 pm »

It's entirely a matter of opinion. Neither of us can read minds. So you can keep yours and I'll keep mine.

Agree that major intervention by the States has and will continue to have a negative effect on Central Africa.

-FDR

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 09:27:19 pm »
So what would be this group's goal, then, if they're insincere?  Can we really explain that without delving into conspiracy theory?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 09:35:42 pm »
So what would be this group's goal, then, if they're insincere?  Can we really explain that without delving into conspiracy theory?
I don't see why not. It's already been established that they whole KONY 2012 shtick is for the sake of evangelising. I think you could easily say their motivation is to promote their imaginary friend without having to wear an aluminium foil hat.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 03:58:05 am »
So apparently Uganda is an oil-rich country.

Yeah, totally didn't see that coming. /sarcasm
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 05:27:07 am »
Am I the only one who sees that Mr Kony is a war criminal and the regardless of the reasoning behind invisible children, the outrage of the Ugandan people at the campaign and the fact that he was exiled from Uganda 6 years ago he should still be brought to justice?

Just because he is no longer a relevant warlord and that Uganda is now a stable country does not magically expunge the crimes he committed and lives he ruined? He should just walk free because he isn't killing kids anymore, despite a well documented history of him doing so?

Really it does not matter what or who Invisible children support or what their personal goals are. The fact that Kony is wanted by the international police for war crimes is a fact. They brought light to this fact and although their way of doing so was poorly received by some, it does not change the fact that Kony is a criminal that deserves to be brought to justice. Attacking the principle of bringing an international war criminal to justice just because the people who informed you about him are anti gay is a typical argumentum ad hominem.

Will arresting Kony solve the problems of Africa? Undoubtedly not. Warlords and tin pot dictators are a dime a dozen even in supposedly democratic nations. However, perhaps what should be made apparent is that perhaps its time for the international community to stop pussy footing around international war criminals. Even if they are immediately replace by someone just as bad, its better to arrest both than to just ignore them. By the way, I include Bush in the list of war criminals for starting two illegal wars of aggression and, by extension Obama, for torture. They should be brought to task for these crimes. If the means exists to do so, it should be done.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 03:16:25 pm »
Nobody is denying that Kony is/was a horrible excuse for a human being. Yes, he is a war criminal. But if people really want to raise awareness about him, they can do it without lying out their ass. And at a time when we just got out of another costly war which was waged FOR GREAT JUSTICE, military operations are the last thing we should be spending our money on. 

The fact that the organization funding IC is anti-gay is not significant in and of itself. But coupled with the facts that 1) IC lied, 2) Its CEO admits that his goal is evangelism - well, it's pretty easy to see the bigger picture emerging.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 05:27:58 pm »
It's funny how so many people posted about Kony on Facebook while very few presented any outrage over the the American Evangelical-backed "Kill the Gays" Bill that is still on Uganda's table.

That's funny you bring that up, it turns out that the person behind this whole KONY 2012 stuff is doing this in order to evangelize.

I don't normally say people are gay at random, but that first guy that talks is soooooooo gay.