Author Topic: I can control your brain through the internet  (Read 4386 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
I can control your brain through the internet
« on: August 28, 2013, 01:50:31 pm »
Well, not really.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/08/28/brain-interface-human.html

American researchers say they’ve performed what they believe is the first ever human-to-human brain interface, where one person was able to send a brain signal to trigger the hand motions of another person.

“It was both exciting and eerie to watch an imagined section from my brain get translated into actual action by another brain,” said Rajesh Rao, a professor of computer science and engineering at the University of Washington, in a statement.

Previous studies have done brain-to-brain transmissions between rats and one was done between a human and a rat.

Rao was able to send a brain signal through the internet – utilizing electrical brain recordings and a form of magnetic stimulation – to the other side of the university campus to his colleague Andrea Stocco, an assistant professor of psychology, triggering Stocco’s finger to move on a keyboard.

Chantel Prat, a research partner in the experiment and assistant professor at the Washington university’s Institute for Learning & Brain Sciences, cautions people against overestimating the technology.

“There’s no possible way the technology that we have could be used on a person unknowingly or without their willing participation," she said in a release.

So how long until this can be done wirelessly and unscrupulous people use it for unsavoury ends?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: I can control your brain through the internet
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 02:27:36 pm »
Well, that's freaky. I don't know if it'll be possible for it to be done unwillingly without tech in us.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 04:49:44 pm »
Doesn't disturb me.  My brain is blank most of the time.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 05:41:02 pm »
ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 07:24:14 pm »
Fascinating~
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 08:12:08 pm »
What I wanna know is...can I control my computer with my brain now?  Seriously, I could get so much more shit done that way.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 08:13:06 pm »
What I wanna know is...can I control my computer with my brain now?  Seriously, I could get so much more shit done that way.
I wouldn't. It'd get confused from all the obscenities I'd scream while it's frozen.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 09:45:28 pm »

I'd love to be able to exercise my muscles while gaming that way.  Imagine running in WoW.  Now imagine the muscles getting the same workout as walking without actually getting out of your chair.  If they pull that off, sign me the fuck up.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 11:38:48 pm »

I'd love to be able to exercise my muscles while gaming that way.  Imagine running in WoW.  Now imagine the muscles getting the same workout as walking without actually getting out of your chair.  If they pull that off, sign me the fuck up.

A shortcut to weight loss that might actually WORK without the use of dubious herbs, substances, and/or parasites?  Sounds like a winner, to me.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 01:07:46 am »
I wouldn't. It'd get confused from all the obscenities I'd scream while it's frozen.

Pretty sure JARVIS was capable of operating just fine even when Tony got terse with him.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 01:42:07 am »

A shortcut to weight loss that might actually WORK without the use of dubious herbs, substances, and/or parasites?  Sounds like a winner, to me.
I'd love that, too.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 01:49:19 am »

That would look so freaking weird. Sitting still with your muscles bouncing around under the skin
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 03:05:05 am »

That would look so freaking weird. Sitting still with your muscles bouncing around under the skin

If it worked? *I wouldn't care*
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Leafy

• Radical Radish
  • Pope
  • "My bunny will eat your soul!"
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 04:41:23 pm »
Master how may I serve you?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 11:32:57 pm »
Master how may I serve you?

I'm sorry, Leafy, I can't let you do that.