Author Topic: Dark Enlightenment: The Neoreactionary Movement  (Read 7957 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Dark Enlightenment: The Neoreactionary Movement
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 01:24:19 am »
Besides, these guys are not true Sith. There is a thing called the Rule of Two.

Eh, Rule of Two got abolished soon after Palpatine died.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 08:51:49 am »
Besides, it was more like Suggestion of Two, anyways.  They can always just, ya know, break the damned rules.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 01:26:41 pm »
Besides, it was more like Suggestion of Two, anyways.  They can always just, ya know, break the damned rules.

Palpatine hated the idea of doing it, but he wasn't above pretending to break it to train useful but disposable allies.

Then again, in the now-defunct EU, Sith actually started seeing each other as brothers instead of just rivals they were forced to work with.  (They were still rivals but were less likely to stab each other in the back)

Incidentally, I almost misread the topic title as "The Necromancer Movement."
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 02:28:46 pm »
Palpatine went as close to breaking the rule as he could. He had several trainees, apprentices and lackeys who were force user but claimed that this did not make them sith since he didn't teach them everything about the sith and therefore they weren't "officially sith."

Besides, "True Sith" is hard to define. The sith and the jedi have destroyed each other completely or nearly completely several times in the old non-canon Star wars setting and both organisations have been reborn from the members of the winning side.

Which reminds me: Most of the stuff about the history of Sith is now non-canon. Unless the new movies and new material mentions the history of the sith again we only have what little Palpatine and Joda talked about the in the prequel trilogy. ("Always there are two, a master and an apprentice" or something like that was mentioned so I assume that the rule of two is still canon. Or at least implied.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 02:38:14 pm »
Was the EU ever really canon in the first place?  I always thought it was more "soft canon".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 03:06:35 pm »
Was the EU ever really canon in the first place?  I always thought it was more "soft canon".

It was the closest to canon the franchise had in the years between Episode VI and Episode I, and the prequels were retrofitted into it (observe that Luke's mother's identity is never revealed in the EU until the books written after the prequels, and the identity of Luke's mother is a major plot point in some of those books), but Lucas never considered them canon, and now Disney is basically saying "fuck you" to the EU.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 03:13:15 pm »
I just hope ensuing Episodes at least involve on Ben Skywalker, Jacen and Jaina Solo.

Just, please, do not give Jacen lines like Anakin's Prequel Lines.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 04:49:48 pm »
I finally read the article. I have to say, if you call yourself a sith lord and call your movement the "Dark Enlightenment", you gotta be taking the piss pretty hard.

To be fair, they don't call themselves Sith lords; that's a label journalists use when covering them (same with Dark Enlightenment, presumably). From what I've heard, the names they use for themselves are largely borrowed from Tolkien's works (Eldar, Númenorian, etc.)

That said, the details of what goes on in their inner circle seem heavily embellished to me, similar to how Jack Chick portrayed D&D sessions.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 05:06:48 pm »
I actually think that there are benefits to a monarchy, albeit not an absolute monarchy. We've seen how politicians often focus on the short-term so they can get re-elected, sacrificing any chance for long-term planning. A monarchy would be immune from this, and more concerned with the long-term welfare of the nation. Of course, you'd need an elected legislature to give the people a proper voice.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 07:00:54 pm »
I actually think that there are benefits to a monarchy, albeit not an absolute monarchy. We've seen how politicians often focus on the short-term so they can get re-elected, sacrificing any chance for long-term planning. A monarchy would be immune from this, and more concerned with the long-term welfare of the nation. Of course, you'd need an elected legislature to give the people a proper voice.

I don't think this necessarily requires a monarchy. You get much better long-term planning in coalition democracy, because all of the parties are forced to negotiate and compromise. Therefore, opposition for the sake of opposition is politically impossible, not a benefit (this seems to me to be the primary mechanism through which you get short-termism). The other advantage of coalition government is that it's far more democratic.

Another proposal: Upper Houses should be appointed, not elected (this is basically true in the US already, due to the auto-gerrymander of the Senate). Some group - like, but not necessarily, the government - appoints a new member of the upper house whenever one dies or quits. These people should be eminent scientists, academics and so on - maybe set up a quota of ignorant businesspeople tories are allowed to appoint. Once they're on, they can't be kicked off except by a judge (if they're corrupt). These guys have two roles. Firstly, they can delay legislation. If the government tries to pass the We Win Act of 2014, the upper house can delay it for X long. In extreme cases, the upper house can also force the government to put the legislation to a referendum, to give the people the ultimate choice.

The other thing the Upper House should do is hold loads of committees. Parliamentary committees are actually very useful - you can demand any document, with power of law, force anyone to testify. There would be no danger of the partisan manipulation of the committee system ala Huckleberry Graham et al because none of these people are partisans. Therefore, the government can only act secretly where an external, independent body thinks it ought to be able to. If the government keeps something from the upper house and it leaks, there is an instant election and the responsible ministers are thrown in a dungeon.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2014, 07:09:44 am »
Boy oh boy, they do take themselves rather seriously!

Beyond all the verbose bafflegab they mostly sound like a bunch of old-school upper class WASP boys in techno-futurist clothing that are outraged that people more diverse than themselves exist and aren't ashamed of it!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:11:15 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 01:45:54 pm »
*quirks an eyebrow at everything*

...You know what?

Yeah, just go do whatever.

This is kinda like when LaVeyan Satanism marries the Nice Guy movement, discards everything related to Satan, and decides that "We should be ruling this country!"

Oh, and a touch of the Illuminates of Thanateros in there, too.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:48:29 pm by Magus Silveresti »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 04:24:33 pm »
Eh, just another group of 2edgy4me dickwads. thankfully their ideology is so stupid that it will never reach wide popularity.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 04:30:08 pm »
Eh, just another group of 2edgy4me dickwads. thankfully their ideology is so stupid that it will never reach wide popularity.

Didn't people say this about the Tea Party?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 05:14:32 pm »
It never hurts to be wary.