Author Topic: Trans California Teen Kills Self  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Trans California Teen Kills Self
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 11:43:55 pm »
I'm siding with IronBite on this one. Kids don't bully others because they're trans or wear glasses or are a different skin color. Kids bully kids because they're different.

True but not the whole picture. Kids can get bullied for more or less any reason, but some reasons cause a lot more bullying than others. Trans and gay kids are bullied a lot more/worse than kids who wear glasses, and the suicide rates reflect it.

Just curious, but I do have a couple open questions for the optimists here. It's getting better, not good but better. Ok. So what are we calling good?

I don't really have a well-defined cut-off point? The goal is no kids get bullied into suicide (well, one of the goals). I can't see how calling a particular outcome "good" makes any difference, as long as we all agree that fewer kids killing themselves is better.

How do we get there? Specifically with regards to kids, how do we get to good?

I don't have general solutions to most social problems, unfortunately. I have any number of guesses, probably none of which is useful or possible to implement.
Σא

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Trans California Teen Kills Self
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 11:40:58 am »
Thank you for a very honest answer, Sigma. And I think less kids committing suicide is better.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.