Author Topic: Trans California Teen Kills Self  (Read 3652 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Trans California Teen Kills Self
« on: April 12, 2015, 02:12:49 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/transgender-teen-california-kills-self-bullying-204219113.html

How sad.

Here I thought California was better than certain other states I will not name...
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Trans California Teen Kills Self
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 11:47:48 am »
This needs to stop.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 05:28:00 pm »
It never will.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 06:43:14 pm »
It never will.

It will. There's a big movement going.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 08:28:46 pm »
Oh...just...no.

Ironbite-trust me on this it never will stop.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 10:15:30 pm »
At least...not for a long time.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 12:19:43 am »
Whatever.... ::)

8) The LGBT are winning the "Culture War"..... 8)

Y'ain't gettin' me down, fellas. I will always embrace hope....so *NYAH*! ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCCGZh-TxK0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCCGZh-TxK0</a>
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:23:11 am by Barbarella »

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 05:11:21 pm »
You know we've been over this right?  Blind optimism is all well and good but please temper yourself with a bit of reality.

Ironbite-cause this shit has been going on for ages.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 11:37:51 pm »
For once I agree with Spuki's optimism. Things are getting better in regards to trans rights, in some parts of the world anyway. Better does not mean good, but an improvement is still an improvement. It's not crazy to think the trend will continue.
Σא

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 12:34:09 am »
For once I agree with Spuki's optimism. Things are getting better in regards to trans rights, in some parts of the world anyway. Better does not mean good, but an improvement is still an improvement. It's not crazy to think the trend will continue.

THANK YOU!

Now, I'm not saying that people won't continue to send themselves to The Great Gig In The Sky. It's something that humans do, for whatever reason. But I think the "doomy dooms of doom...'it will never get better'" attitude is really stupid.

Also, I'm all for realism. Optimism should always be paired with realism. I'm not a "blind optimist" by a long shot....but I do try to see the silver-lining in everything and I do believe in hope and staying positive.

I'm a Realist-Idealist.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:02:03 am by Barbarella »

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 01:20:12 am »
I agree with everyone here, as contradictory as that may seem. Allow me to explain.

I'll admit, the idea of a transgender does, to a degree, squick me slightly. I realize that there is no reason for that, and that my gut impulses are not necessarily right, and so if I ever meet someone who identifies as transgender, I will try to avoid judging or otherwise unfairly treating them. However, not everyone is good at metacognition. For some people, a gut feeling is all they need, and some of those people aren't even religious. Because of this, it is true that we will never have a world where this sort of thing doesn't happen.

At the same time, though, look at where we are today versus where we were a decade ago. In 2004, a national election in the United States was won on a platform of "teh gayz are yucky". Today, the homophobes are a liability to the national Republicans. Hell, some of the people I went to school with in my conservative home town are willing to have serious conversations about transgender rights, and come out on the right side.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 10:07:13 am »
I agree with everyone here, as contradictory as that may seem. Allow me to explain.

I'll admit, the idea of a transgender does, to a degree, squick me slightly. I realize that there is no reason for that, and that my gut impulses are not necessarily right, and so if I ever meet someone who identifies as transgender, I will try to avoid judging or otherwise unfairly treating them. However, not everyone is good at metacognition. For some people, a gut feeling is all they need, and some of those people aren't even religious. Because of this, it is true that we will never have a world where this sort of thing doesn't happen.

At the same time, though, look at where we are today versus where we were a decade ago. In 2004, a national election in the United States was won on a platform of "teh gayz are yucky". Today, the homophobes are a liability to the national Republicans. Hell, some of the people I went to school with in my conservative home town are willing to have serious conversations about transgender rights, and come out on the right side.

That was pretty much my point. Thank you.

I've gotten over the "Trans are weird" feeling a long while ago. Heck, I wouldn't mind dating a trans-man who still has the original female plumbing.

Anyway, as the saying goes, "It Gets Better!".

Of course, it's a different story in places like the Mid-East, Africa, Russia, etc.

But Western Europe & North America are better on this LGBTA-rights thing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 10:52:00 am »
The "trans are eww" reaction isn't that bad as long as the person still treats transpeople as people. You can't really force people to like or to be attracted to everyone else.

Unfortunately far too often I have seen the "ewww" reaction being used as a justification for taking away rights from people (or not giving them the rights in the first place.)

For example, plenty of atheists oppose gay marriage and other GLBT issues because it is "unnatural" or "disgusting."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 04:39:50 pm »
Ya'll are missing my point.  My point is that driving kids to suicide because they're different WILL NEVER END!  The reasoning changes but the outcome is always the same.  Until we start educating parents that they're child is ok even if they turn out to be gay or trans or what have you, this will keep happening.  And no laws or rights will ever change that.

Ironbite-get some shelters out there, some sort of education system, and you'll be on the road.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 10:42:46 pm »
I'm siding with IronBite on this one. Kids don't bully others because they're trans or wear glasses or are a different skin color. Kids bully kids because they're different.

Just curious, but I do have a couple open questions for the optimists here. It's getting better, not good but better. Ok. So what are we calling good? How do we get there? Specifically with regards to kids, how do we get to good?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.