Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1515489 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2775 on: July 08, 2013, 10:05:24 am »
I liked SR2 better than GTA4, mostly because the driving controls were easier.  I never played SR3; is 3 anything of an improvement or any different than 2?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2776 on: July 08, 2013, 10:13:39 am »
3's wackier than 2. But I like it well enough. Heh.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #2777 on: July 08, 2013, 10:58:19 am »
Wacky I don't mind, and all the new weapons, etc. sound fun, but does it have all the same options as 2?  i'm already not happy that they use GTA4's driving controls, which turned me off of GTA 4 in the first place.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2778 on: July 08, 2013, 01:57:42 pm »
Uh, yeah. Same options and such. Depends on what you're looking for, I suppose. Hard to tell exactly what you are getting into with games, tho.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #2779 on: July 08, 2013, 02:23:30 pm »
Running around shooting people, driving around, flying around, pimping out vehicles, picking up hookers, or just standing on the stree corner watching police officers fight random people.  I ignored most of SR2's story.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2780 on: July 08, 2013, 02:45:58 pm »
GTA 4 not only took itself way too seriously, but also did a horrible job of telling its story. It's a shame this is still such an alien concept for developers, but when one of the most important things is that the story should never be contradicted by the gameplay. It's all well and good for Niko to lament having to lick the local small time crime boss's boots just to survive another night, but it's a tad hard to take seriously when he can spend several in-game weeks doing nothing but running over old ladies, pushing police officers down stairs and baiting the cops into city-wide car chases purely for shits 'n' giggles.

San Andreas was far, far worse in that department. Niko was a video game protagonist in terms of skill and resistance to injury, but most of his power was simply on the level of "Can kill dozens of people before being shot dead." You mostly wondered why he was worried about Roman's debts when he was earning so much money.

The big problem is in San Andreas when CRASH is able to hold the murder of a cop over CJ's head for the whole game. The guy will have killed more officers than some towns have in their police force by the end of the game, to say nothing of the literally hundreds of gangsters (from small time street thugs up to La Cosa Nostra), innocent civilians, government agents, and possible aliens in human disguise that he slaughters. In gameplay, CJ could likely blow Tenpenny and Pulaski away at any given time. They couldn't keep Sweet in prison because CJ could just one-man army the whole joint (and if you play well, you get yourself an Apache helicopter as well before Sweet gets released). You may very likely get arrested and jailed for causing millions of dollars in property damage and hundreds of deaths, only to get released with a bribe no sweat.

The problem is much worse when mere minutes after the game establishes that you have to obey the corrupt cops to avoid getting pinned with a murder charge, you violate everything that is established.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2781 on: July 08, 2013, 02:54:43 pm »
Running around shooting people, driving around, flying around, pimping out vehicles, picking up hookers, or just standing on the stree corner watching police officers fight random people.  I ignored most of SR2's story.

Then yeah! SR3 gives you that and more. Including a dildo bat.

&

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2782 on: July 08, 2013, 04:37:18 pm »
GTA 4 not only took itself way too seriously, but also did a horrible job of telling its story. It's a shame this is still such an alien concept for developers, but when one of the most important things is that the story should never be contradicted by the gameplay. It's all well and good for Niko to lament having to lick the local small time crime boss's boots just to survive another night, but it's a tad hard to take seriously when he can spend several in-game weeks doing nothing but running over old ladies, pushing police officers down stairs and baiting the cops into city-wide car chases purely for shits 'n' giggles.

San Andreas was far, far worse in that department. Niko was a video game protagonist in terms of skill and resistance to injury, but most of his power was simply on the level of "Can kill dozens of people before being shot dead." You mostly wondered why he was worried about Roman's debts when he was earning so much money.

The big problem is in San Andreas when CRASH is able to hold the murder of a cop over CJ's head for the whole game. The guy will have killed more officers than some towns have in their police force by the end of the game, to say nothing of the literally hundreds of gangsters (from small time street thugs up to La Cosa Nostra), innocent civilians, government agents, and possible aliens in human disguise that he slaughters. In gameplay, CJ could likely blow Tenpenny and Pulaski away at any given time. They couldn't keep Sweet in prison because CJ could just one-man army the whole joint (and if you play well, you get yourself an Apache helicopter as well before Sweet gets released). You may very likely get arrested and jailed for causing millions of dollars in property damage and hundreds of deaths, only to get released with a bribe no sweat.

The problem is much worse when mere minutes after the game establishes that you have to obey the corrupt cops to avoid getting pinned with a murder charge, you violate everything that is established.

The same thing could be said about damn near any game, though.  You could spend all your time in Skyrim literally picking flowers.  Lots of people use MMOs as little more than a virtual form of the stock market.  For me, it really comes down to which between San Andreas and GTA IV has the better characters and gameplay, and San Andreas wins on both accounts.

Roman Bellic?  Irritating fucker who always called you to take him out on dates to titty bars when you're trying to rob a bank or evade the police.  Niko himself?  Serious, angsty, and a little whiny; his best moments were when he was being a smartass to the various dickheads in the game, his cousin most especially.  That's not the Grand Theft Auto I grew up with, and while change isn't a bad thing, this was an example of bad change.

Compare to CJ: CJ was serious, too, but funny, snarky, and much more intelligent than his background would lead one to believe.  San Andreas also gets nice nods to both Vice City and GTA 3, plus its own original characters like The Truth, Woozie, and even that snake Ryder had their awesome moments.  It had more from the start, more content, more places to go, more to do, more to see, and an ending that's NOT fucking depressing as hell.

(click to show/hide)

GTA IV wanted to be more of a serious crime drama in a series that was never serious to begin with.  Shit got real, but it got too real, and the game suffered for it.  Story aside, GTA IV is a solid enough game and does have some good entertainment value, but its still lacking the sheer variety San Andreas had, so even in that mark its still, to me, inferior.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:38:58 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Distind

« Reply #2783 on: July 08, 2013, 05:09:12 pm »

Not to mention how you get the bat. I've got to remember to pre-order SR 4 next time I'm out.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2784 on: July 08, 2013, 05:35:55 pm »
I dunno if SR4 will be good or not the e3 trailer was awesome.  I hope now that they have experience with the engine they can make it work

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #2785 on: July 08, 2013, 05:42:45 pm »

Not to mention how you get the bat. I've got to remember to pre-order SR 4 next time I'm out.

So then the only thing holding me back is the fact that the driving controls are similar to GTA 4, which is the very reason I disliked GTA 4 in the first place.  The driving controls in SR2 worked just fine for me.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2786 on: July 08, 2013, 05:45:19 pm »

Ahaha. Way ahead of you. I wonder how many are buying the Wub Wub edition?

&

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2787 on: July 08, 2013, 11:18:52 pm »

The difference is that San Andreas was never a story driven game to begin with. It's only purpose was to tie the story missions together and give a halfway plausible reason to introduce a bunch of zany characters. GTA 4, on the other hand, was all about the story. That's what I meant by "took itself too seriously". Unlike San Andreas, it actually expected to be taken seriously as a drama, which doesn't really work when coupled with its gameplay. San Andreas itself, on the other hand, the story was never meant to be taken seriously to begin with.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #2788 on: July 11, 2013, 02:10:59 pm »
Steam Summer Sale is here, seems the main focus is to collect cards for a  badge this time around.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2789 on: July 11, 2013, 03:02:31 pm »
Grand Theft Auto V gameplay video is out.

Shut up and take my money.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.