Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1513131 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3060 on: August 07, 2013, 09:51:40 am »
Well, I went and bought X-COM: UFO Defense. I have to say, even in the early game, it doesn't fuck around. I learned that the hard way very quickly. I had a couple of lucky battles. Took down a few UFOs with only a couple of casualties each and even had a very successful terror mission. Managed a very respectable score due to saving a tonne of civilians and only losing a few people, so naturally I was overconfident. That's when I learned that keeping your soldiers bunched together is a bad idea. I lose three guys instantly to a grenade, including my most experienced guy, and would've lost two more and very likely the whole mission if it weren't for the fact that I was very liberal with issuing medi-kits.

Even with laser rifles for everyone and a laser tank trundling about, a squishy little Sectoid all on his own is still not to be trifled with.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3061 on: August 07, 2013, 03:51:09 pm »
Speaking of Mass Effect, apparently there's a bug caused by the Recon Hood in Mass Effect 3.  I got it early in the game but didn't figure out what it was until I changed helmets.  If you use the recon hood and choose to have it off during most cut scenes, Shepard's eyeballs are popping out of his/her head during cut scenes.
http://i.imgur.com/FXDzL3g.jpg
(Link'd for size)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fRuoMIfpw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fRuoMIfpw</a>

I just had to.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3062 on: August 08, 2013, 12:52:55 pm »
http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

Pokemon went Mega.

Ironbite-MEGA MAWILE!

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #3063 on: August 08, 2013, 05:01:36 pm »
http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

Pokemon went Mega.

Ironbite-MEGA MAWILE!

All I have to say is "ugh". They have an entire planet full of animals they could turn into new Pokemon, tons of Pokemon who need real evolutions, and they instead devout time and resources to making existing Pokemon uglier. And naming them all the same thing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3064 on: August 08, 2013, 06:10:50 pm »
That is oddly Digimon-esque.
Σא

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #3065 on: August 08, 2013, 07:07:06 pm »
Went ahead and reserved my copy of GTA V today. I don't normally preorder games, but skydiving off a blimp sounds fun.

Looking forward to exploring the world and more Republican Space Rangers. That show makes me laugh my ass off because some of the quotes the main page gets are even more right-wing and deranged than the satire. It's like DoctorDoombot and his cronies IN SPACE!

God speaks english

My bible is in English

I am English

This am engladish

SPEAK FUCKING ENGLISH!!!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:10:34 pm by ScrappyB »
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3066 on: August 08, 2013, 08:09:27 pm »
Went ahead and reserved my copy of GTA V today. I don't normally preorder games, but skydiving off a blimp sounds fun.

I'm probably pre-ordering in a week or two.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3067 on: August 09, 2013, 09:33:34 am »
I'll wait til I can have a machine that can run it.  /sadface

Though, that will give it time to not only go down a tad in price and to have any major bugs largely worked out.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3068 on: August 09, 2013, 02:31:28 pm »
I'll wait til I can have a machine that can run it.  /sadface

Though, that will give it time to not only go down a tad in price and to have any major bugs largely worked out.

You'll have a while to wait. GTA V currently has no date set for a PC release; most people figure that it'll eventually get one (all of its predecessors did), but there's no news on it whatsoever and Rockstar plain isn't discussing it. The console release isn't even for another month.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3069 on: August 10, 2013, 12:23:09 am »
Suddenly, X-COM fucks me over. It starts me off in a terror mission surrounded by cyber disks and so many Sectoids hiding in just the right places so that I can never spot and shoot them within a turn, but they can all just pop out and gun down at least one of my soldiers each with no issue. Also, they have a penchant for mind controlling my only captain and taking out multiple soldiers at once with a single grenade.

It seems no matter what I do, I can't last more than three turns without 2/3 of my squad dead and the remaining 1/3 demoralised and panicking.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 01:53:34 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3070 on: August 10, 2013, 12:54:56 am »
I guess I should have warned that X-com is pretty hard.

That is actually one of the main reasons for the fans to like it. The game punishes you for making mistakes and you need to stay on your toes and protect your troops.

And then we get the hardcore gamers who think that the hardest difficulty isn't enough so they put on personal challenges like the "laser squad" where you refuse to use weapons better than the lasers...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3071 on: August 10, 2013, 01:49:25 am »
The game punishes you for making mistakes

And occasionally it decides that it just plain hates you.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3072 on: August 10, 2013, 01:52:42 am »
And then we get the hardcore gamers who think that the hardest difficulty isn't enough so they put on personal challenges like the "laser squad" where you refuse to use weapons better than the lasers...
They should just play Terror from the Deep. From what I found out, the easiest difficult in that game is harder than superhuman in the original, largely because neither the dev or the players noticed the difficulty reset bug until after the game was made.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3073 on: August 10, 2013, 02:30:40 am »
The game punishes you for making mistakes

And occasionally it decides that it just plain hates you.

Yes, that too.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #3074 on: August 10, 2013, 11:47:59 am »
Does anyone actually find Super Meat Boy fun? Gah. I guess the "DONE IT!" feeling you get after beating a level is good though.