Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1513348 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4995 on: October 05, 2014, 12:04:57 am »
Why make any game that's in an alternate timeline to another established story?  The regular Lord of the Rings has been done to death, an AU gives writers a chance to try something new in an established universe.  That's like asking why you'd want to play in Eberron when you have Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk; people want something familiar, yet different.

This.

You can start the game in a familiar setting and THEN actually change things rather than keep the story tied to canon. Particularly when you wish to explore time before the book/movie/series.

For example, what if you made a Avatar strategy game set during the attack of the Fire nation? Canon would mean that the Fire nation must win or at least conquer most of the planet but "Alternate Continuity" would allow the possibility of one of the other nations winning or an allied victory or anything.

It would still be the same world (although with only a few of the characters) but the game designers and writers could do something different with it.

If it weren't Lord of the Rings, I'd probably agree with you. The thing is, generic fantasy land #24 would have worked just as well since Tolkien is the inspiration for most fantasy. Then again, I could just be blowing hot air and it's at least nice to see a GOOD Lord of the Rings game for once.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4996 on: October 05, 2014, 05:19:54 pm »
Picked up Shadow of The Colossus today should be good.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4997 on: October 05, 2014, 05:51:23 pm »
Seriously, was Roland drunk during this? If you want to listen to a otherwise decent reviewer make a fool out of himself, try this on for size. I've always enjoyed Roland's work on the Agony Booth, but this...this is just hilariously bad. As in The Distressed Watcher's "Top 10 Gayest Music Videos" bad.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpCv12q6fFI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpCv12q6fFI</a>

Yeah, let's point out a few things wrong with this.

• Roland clearly has no idea how the hell the Combine got to Earth, and pretends that Black Mesa was actually a interesting setting in comparison to City 17. He calls City 17 "cliche" while apparently alternate dimensions and Area 51 aren't cliche.
  • He spends most of his time bitching about the Silent Protagonist trope, and then treats second-long pauses as awkward.
  • Comparing this to every other review of Roland's, it has far more swearing and angry nerd ranting. It's really quite jarring in comparison to his otherwise informative reviews.
  • Calling Half-Life 2 just Quake and pretending there's no improvement over the modified Quake engine that was Goldsrc. Compare Quake to Half Life, then both to Half Life 2. Then tell me that, I dare you.
  • Rants about retcons, like they're something new.
  • If you cannot recognize a goddamn USP Match and just call it the "pistol from Tomb Raider" , I pity you. In addition, he calls the Pulse Rifle "SMG Level 2" when the Energy Ball is really different than the muzzle-launched grenades of the SMG
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 06:03:35 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #4998 on: October 06, 2014, 05:20:17 pm »
Anyone know any good multiplayer/coop games that are fun? I'm trying to think of one to get my friend that we could enjoy.

Also, does anyone know if Planetary Annihilation is any good? We had a lot of fun with SupCom, but so far I haven't heard very much good about it.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #4999 on: October 06, 2014, 05:40:39 pm »
Anyone know any good multiplayer/coop games that are fun? I'm trying to think of one to get my friend that we could enjoy.
If you're interested in couch co-op, the Mario Kart/Mario Party series are some of your best options. The LEGO Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Batman series is also excellent. And if it's just you and one (reasonably intelligent) friend, Portal 2 is always fun.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #5000 on: October 06, 2014, 09:10:26 pm »
Okay, so I bought a Project Zomboid 4-pack for my friends and I. Not as the previously mentioned gift, but because it was on sale and looked pretty interesting.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #5001 on: October 08, 2014, 03:38:50 am »
If you're interested in couch co-op, the Mario Kart/Mario Party series are some of your best options. The LEGO Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Batman series is also excellent. And if it's just you and one (reasonably intelligent) friend, Portal 2 is always fun.

Hyrule Warriors is great if you can get past the framerate issues on the Gamepad (or play Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper if you want a Warriors game without the framerate issues).
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5002 on: October 08, 2014, 08:03:56 am »

Hyrule Warriors is great if you can get past the framerate issues on the Gamepad (or play Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper if you want a Warriors game without the framerate issues).

Wait...they have versions of that outside Japan?!  WHY HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS?!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #5003 on: October 08, 2014, 08:40:56 am »
Errr, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper has framerate issues. It was the first Wii U game Omega Force made. Hyrule Warriors (which is super awesome btw) has far less issues with the framerate, aside from the 2 player mode.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5004 on: October 08, 2014, 10:26:46 am »
Tomorrow I will probably buy a new laptop.

Then I will buy Wasteland 2.

The only reason I say "probably" is that I'm still not quite sure what kind of laptop I will get and wether or not I can get it with an installment plan. If not then my wife will have to get it (since she is the one with the job.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #5005 on: October 08, 2014, 03:16:52 pm »
Errr, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper has framerate issues. It was the first Wii U game Omega Force made. Hyrule Warriors (which is super awesome btw) has far less issues with the framerate, aside from the 2 player mode.

Overall, yes, Orochi 3 is worse in terms of framerate, but it doesn't dip NEARLY as much on the gamepad in 2 player mode as Hyrule Warriors. My wording was a bit misleading. Plus Orochi 3 can be played split screen, while Hyrule forces two screen for multiplayer.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #5006 on: October 08, 2014, 06:05:15 pm »
 Ah, I know what I can get my friend! Super Smash Bros. 3DS! I honestly wasn't even aware it had come out yet.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #5007 on: October 09, 2014, 05:35:28 am »
I got Smash Bros.  It's fun so far, but I really hate that you can't change the controls from the control circle to the pad.  I really hate the circle.   
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #5008 on: October 09, 2014, 01:11:41 pm »

Overall, yes, Orochi 3 is worse in terms of framerate, but it doesn't dip NEARLY as much on the gamepad in 2 player mode as Hyrule Warriors. My wording was a bit misleading. Plus Orochi 3 can be played split screen, while Hyrule forces two screen for multiplayer.
Ah, fair enough. I haven't played either in 2 player so i wouldn't know :)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5009 on: October 09, 2014, 03:06:30 pm »
I checked out a thread on r/tf2 about the gunslinger.

Needless to say it became people either saying how mini-sentries are more powerful than ubers or how the gunslinger is more balanced than stock and requires more skill than the spy to use*.

*someone actually claimed this part