Author Topic: Panama Papers Discussion  (Read 6323 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel

pyro

Re: Panama Papers Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 05:40:34 pm »
Could someone please summarize this thread topic for me? I'm curious about it, and ultie is on my ignore list.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 05:44:07 pm »
Basically it's one of the biggest data leaks and basically shows how the super rich have been manipulating the global economy to suit themselves.  Also implies that then Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and President Obama pushed trade deals that allowed the super rich to exploit new and improved loopholes in order to keep themselves super rich.

Ironbite-that summarized enough for ya?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 05:47:47 pm »
Basically, rich people use offshore banking to dodge taxes.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxlhyX-4qKI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxlhyX-4qKI</a>

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 06:14:41 pm »
The big thing here is that the leak gives us names. Everyone knows rich and influential people in general use tax havens but now there is evidence connecting individuals to tax evasion. That can result in actual consequences to these people and can result in policy changes.

Also, Nordea is the biggest bank in Nordic countries and it will be interesting to see if it getting caught assisting tax evasion has any more serious consequences than its credibility getting wrecked temporarily.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 06:24:51 pm »

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 07:17:44 pm »
You're all deluded if you think there's going to be any real change from this. A few scapegoats are going to be named, a few public figures who can afford to fall, and they will fall, and then business will continue as usual.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 08:08:40 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/panama-papers-business-reaction-1.3519525

Royal Bank of Canada: Foreign incorporation (on behalf of our clients) is completely legitimate and we have high standards to make sure everything's on the level and there's no tax evasion!
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 08:10:01 pm »
There's a story out all over today that shivved Putin, citing this leak, inserted in a more in-depth story about how Vlad uses his buddies as money puppets to hide all the billions he's stolen.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:11:33 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 08:12:27 pm »
There's a story out all over today that shivved Putin, citing this leak, inserted in a more in-depth story about how Vlad uses his buddies as money puppets to hide all the billions he's stolen.

Be careful with talking shit about Putin, he'll have you arrested for treason.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 08:17:22 pm »
You're all deluded if you think there's going to be any real change from this. A few scapegoats are going to be named, a few public figures who can afford to fall, and they will fall, and then business will continue as usual.
Yep, there'll be as much justice and retribution that was passed out in the banking crisis.

Bad BAD rich people, here's some more money-now don't be bad again!

pyro

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 09:33:40 pm »
Basically it's one of the biggest data leaks and basically shows how the super rich have been manipulating the global economy to suit themselves.  Also implies that then Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and President Obama pushed trade deals that allowed the super rich to exploit new and improved loopholes in order to keep themselves super rich.

Cool.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 12:45:16 am »
Russia is now claiming that this is a direct attack against Putin aiming to discredit him. ...Because obviously USA (The usual suspect) would sacrifice all these other people as well just to hurt Putin a bit.

In Finland lots of people are moving their accounts from Nordea to other banks and at least one of the major political parties is joining this boycott.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 04:14:49 pm »

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 02:18:28 pm »
It'll embarrass some big names but if you're looking for legal consequences, I wouldn't get your hopes up.  Mainly because this information was obtained illegally and it's pretty much inadmissable in any court that isn't in a shitty country with a "President for life"...

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."