Community > Entertainment and Television

Much of the TLJ hatred was by Russian bots

<< < (5/5)

RavynousHunter:
In text: to throw something one deems worthless at the highest possible velocity, typically whilst yelling "yeet" at top volume.

Sigmaleph:

--- Quote from: Askold on January 11, 2019, 09:52:28 am ---Generally speaking explaining why you dislike something is important so that others know just whether the issue is that something is shit or that you are shit.

--- End quote ---

Eh. You should be able to just say "I didn't enjoy it" and that should be fine?

By default, people who don't like things do so for entirely innocuous reasons. Including things that have a vocal contingent talking about how it sucked because feminism or political correctness or cultural marxism or whatever; if someone isn't actively complaining about that, or dogwhistling about how they brought ~politics~ into it or something... just assume they didn't like for all the usual reasons people don't like media.

Chaos Undivided:

--- Quote from: Sigmaleph on January 11, 2019, 05:44:10 pm ---
--- Quote from: Askold on January 11, 2019, 09:52:28 am ---Generally speaking explaining why you dislike something is important so that others know just whether the issue is that something is shit or that you are shit.

--- End quote ---

By default, people who don't like things do so for entirely innocuous reasons. Including things that have a vocal contingent talking about how it sucked because feminism or political correctness or cultural marxism or whatever; if someone isn't actively complaining about that, or dogwhistling about how they brought ~politics~ into it or something... just assume they didn't like for all the usual reasons people don't like media.

--- End quote ---

Hell, I'd go even further and say complaining about the movie's politics isn't automatically a bad thing. Thinking they were poorly handled or even outright disagreeing with them doesn't automatically mean you're a card-carrying alt-rightist. One of my friends agrees with TLJ's political themes, but she thinks they were done in a forced, inept way that hurt the movie and alienated a good chunk of the audience. I know the feeling: I'm an environmentalist, but I still think On Deadly Ground's attempt at a "be green" message was complete shit.

Sigmaleph:

--- Quote from: Chaos Undivided on January 11, 2019, 06:05:31 pm ---
--- Quote from: Sigmaleph on January 11, 2019, 05:44:10 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Hell, I'd go even further and say complaining about the movie's politics isn't automatically a bad thing. Thinking they were poorly handled or even outright disagreeing with them doesn't automatically mean you're a card-carrying alt-rightist. One of my friends agrees with TLJ's political themes, but she thinks they were done in a forced, inept way that hurt the movie and alienated a good chunk of the audience. I know the feeling: I'm an environmentalist, but I still think On Deadly Ground's attempt at a "be green" message was complete shit.

--- End quote ---

That's fair. My point is not that complaining about politics is in itself a bad thing; just that it's one red flag you can watch out for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version