Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2073737 times)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #5400 on: September 18, 2013, 12:12:51 am »
Well... here's something that annoys me.  That mama/daddy tiger is using its kid as a pillow.

Mongoloid, you mean? 

It's kinda funny to think he's calling himself a member of an ancient warrior race of Asia.

No, he generally uses the term mongol (which was also used to describe people with Down syndrome before the latter term became preferred). It's pretty clear from context that he means "retarded" rather than "Asian warrior".

Well yeah, I assumed that.  I didn't know about the earlier term.  I thought it was always "Mongoloid".  Where "Mongol" referred to the people.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #5401 on: September 18, 2013, 12:14:04 am »
He's using the term wrong, then. "Mongoloid" was the term people used to refer to individuals with Down Syndrome (and sometimes FAS, since a few of the symptoms are similar). "Mongol" had always referred to an ethnic group.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #5402 on: September 18, 2013, 12:14:32 am »
I wish I didn't have to wait for Oct. 1st to fill out the damn application for the healthcare tax credit thing, and to enter the exchanges. Also what sexual favors do I have to perform in order find video of The Hollow Crown series, the first part of the part that I would like to drool over because of Tom Hiddleston watch doesn't come on until next friday and I have to work that night. :(

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5403 on: September 18, 2013, 12:19:19 am »
He's using the term wrong, then. "Mongoloid" was the term people used to refer to individuals with Down Syndrome (and sometimes FAS, since a few of the symptoms are similar). "Mongol" had always referred to an ethnic group.

As I understand it, both terms were used, and were not capitalized (that being the distinction between the medical condition and the nationality).

http://www.ds-health.com/name.htm

Dr Benda: I am surprised that in the United Kingdom the term mongol rather than mongoloid is used: mongoloid is at least a descriptive expression indicating the mongol-like appearance; it is certainly inappropriate to identify patients with Down's syndrome with a racial group - the Mongols...The term Down's syndrome at least gives the idea that this is a condition which may affect a child to different degrees. We need a new dynamic concept of this syndrome to further our scientific research.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5404 on: September 18, 2013, 12:42:34 am »
I haven't heard of mongoloid being used for people with Down Syndrome. The times that I've heard it or seen it in old schoolbooks it referred to ethnic groups.
In fact wikipedia has that use in an article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoloid (The Finnish wiki also had the Down syndrome use, which was news to me.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #5405 on: September 18, 2013, 01:27:36 am »
The baby was doing what I can only assume was yoga with my bladder as her mat last night, so I didn't get much sleep. So I'm already cranky.

Then I made the mistake of purposely looking for SWJ blogs on tumblr because we all make mistakes when we're half asleep. Where the fuck did this thing of calling yourself "uppity" when no one else called you that come from? Some of them even put it in quotes like the person who they're arguing with called them that. When they never do. "Oh, it's because I'm an uppity woman/trans/poc/otherkin/multiple/non-binary, isn't it?!" "Well if you don't like "uppity women" get the fuck off my blog!"

They're not Harvey Milk. They're not Rosa Parks. They're bored kids with keyboards looking to pick fights and they need to calm the fuck down.

Please don't tell me that in your sleep deprivation you got offended by people using the word "uppity".
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #5406 on: September 18, 2013, 02:25:17 am »
The baby was doing what I can only assume was yoga with my bladder as her mat last night, so I didn't get much sleep. So I'm already cranky.

Then I made the mistake of purposely looking for SWJ blogs on tumblr because we all make mistakes when we're half asleep. Where the fuck did this thing of calling yourself "uppity" when no one else called you that come from? Some of them even put it in quotes like the person who they're arguing with called them that. When they never do. "Oh, it's because I'm an uppity woman/trans/poc/otherkin/multiple/non-binary, isn't it?!" "Well if you don't like "uppity women" get the fuck off my blog!"

They're not Harvey Milk. They're not Rosa Parks. They're bored kids with keyboards looking to pick fights and they need to calm the fuck down.

Please don't tell me that in your sleep deprivation you got offended by people using the word "uppity".

B-but reclaiming words is offensive!
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5407 on: September 18, 2013, 02:48:16 am »

Reclaiming for who? Unlike what "uppity" usually means, they're not risking persecution in order to fight against the systematic oppression of millions of people, they're just a bunch of keyboard warriors with a fucking martyr complex.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5408 on: September 18, 2013, 04:31:52 am »
I have that same problem with potheads.

I don't care if someone smokes pot responsibly, but I also have a problem with potheads for similar reasons because they're doing something really unhealthy, and the worst part is that they're really dishonest about it. The most annoying potheads are the ones who deny that yes, marijuana can be addictive and harmful to the human body, just like anything else you fucking breathe into your lungs.

Also, I have been to Hempfest in the past and that contains an... interesting array of people. Most of them are fucknuggets like these.

I don't give a fuck if people smoke. I just don't need it brought up in every fucking conversation and mentioned every single fucking day of the week. I get it, you smoke. Good for you. Now shut up.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #5409 on: September 18, 2013, 05:33:14 am »
but groovy, man 420 legalize legalize smoke a bong woot.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #5410 on: September 18, 2013, 10:00:09 am »

Reclaiming for who? Unlike what "uppity" usually means, they're not risking persecution in order to fight against the systematic oppression of millions of people, they're just a bunch of keyboard warriors with a fucking martyr complex.

Since when does using uppity to describe yourself constitute self martyrdom? Honestly it just look like you two are looking for a reason to be mad. Someone calls themselves uppity. So what. Grow a thicker skin and move on.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5411 on: September 18, 2013, 10:10:34 am »
Well... here's something that annoys me.  That mama/daddy tiger is using its kid as a pillow.

Cats do that though.  They like to use each other as pillows.

Ironbite-I know this to be true.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5412 on: September 18, 2013, 10:11:06 am »
Since when does using uppity to describe yourself constitute self martyrdom?
Martyr complex, not self martyrdom. There's a difference. Then again, perhaps "hero complex" would be a better descriptor. Eh, I'm sure you get the idea.

To answer your question; the word itself? Not necessarily. In the context of portraying yourself as an oppressed minority fighting for equality and justice when in reality you're simply arguing on the internet? Very much so. The fact that Ms bin Bambi actually describes it as "reclaiming words" just says it all, really.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:45:11 am by Art Vandelay »

wrightway

« Reply #5413 on: September 18, 2013, 10:54:41 am »

This. No one was calling them uppity. They want to claim people are calling them uppity because it feeds their martyr complex. If they were actually doing something instead of going out of their way to purposely pick fights and try to get the other side of their disagreement harassed I'd support them. And that's what some of them are doing. "So and so called me an uppity XYZ, get em!" When so and so never said any such thing.

And that's what makes them SJWs instead of SJAs.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!