Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2070315 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7215 on: April 26, 2014, 12:16:17 am »
You get extra cookies for the Breaking Bad citation, Mlle :)
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #7216 on: April 26, 2014, 05:57:40 pm »
Not something that annoys me so much as bothers me, but I've got a story:
About half an hour ago, I went into the "downtown" area of my hometown to pick up some ingredients for tonight's dinner. I got my groceries, told the cashier to have a nice day, yadda yadda yadda. As I was carrying my groceries back to my car, I heard someone shout "hey sweetheart, wanna suck my dick?" Without thinking, I whipped around and growled "What the fuck is wrong with you, faggot?" in my best "I'm totally don't sing soprano" voice and was treated to the sight of a teenage boy in a Ford pickup looking like his grandma'd just caught him masturbating. He quickly apoligized, calling me "dude" and/or "bro" and least twice a sentence before speeding off.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7217 on: April 26, 2014, 08:32:05 pm »
Not something that annoys me so much as bothers me, but I've got a story:
About half an hour ago, I went into the "downtown" area of my hometown to pick up some ingredients for tonight's dinner. I got my groceries, told the cashier to have a nice day, yadda yadda yadda. As I was carrying my groceries back to my car, I heard someone shout "hey sweetheart, wanna suck my dick?" Without thinking, I whipped around and growled "What the fuck is wrong with you, faggot?" in my best "I'm totally don't sing soprano" voice and was treated to the sight of a teenage boy in a Ford pickup looking like his grandma'd just caught him masturbating. He quickly apoligized, calling me "dude" and/or "bro" and least twice a sentence before speeding off.

Dongy, don't ever change, lol.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7218 on: April 27, 2014, 01:27:04 am »
The scroll wheel on my fancy-looking mouse that came with my new computer broke out of nowhere. Now I'm stuck with the crappy old one that has a working scroll wheel that doesn't work if you click it, and lacks three of the buttons the other one had.

And I finally got it in my head to jailbreak this damn iPhone....after upgrading to iOS 7.1.1 and finding out that apparently Apple has blocked 5s users from downgrading.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #7219 on: April 27, 2014, 02:11:52 am »
Southern U.S. English pronunciations;

Filet = fill-ay

Fillet = fill-ett

Foyer = foy-yay (over-enunciated Vs French)

Garage = gah-rahj

Tomato = toe-may-toe
More like toe-thenegroidscummustbedrivenoutpraisethesouth-Toe

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7220 on: April 27, 2014, 02:38:40 am »
Out of curiosity, how would all of you non-Canadians pronounce "Calgary", "Toronto" and "Quebec"?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #7221 on: April 27, 2014, 02:55:50 am »
Out of curiosity, how would all of you non-Canadians pronounce "Calgary", "Toronto" and "Quebec"?

Dunno if I'm any indication, since I'm west coast USA born and bred and living on the east coast for about the last five years, but personally, it's 'calg-ah-ree', 'toe-ron-toe' and 'kweh-beck'.  Having spent a week in Newfoundland visiting friends, that's apparently pretty accurate.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7222 on: April 27, 2014, 03:14:29 am »

Dunno if I'm any indication, since I'm west coast USA born and bred and living on the east coast for about the last five years, but personally, it's 'calg-ah-ree', 'toe-ron-toe' and 'kweh-beck'.  Having spent a week in Newfoundland visiting friends, that's apparently pretty accurate.

I pronounce them the same way.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7223 on: April 27, 2014, 03:30:38 am »
Heh, Newfies are a pretty bad indication of how things are pronounced in the rest of the country.

Calgary: Almost always "Cal-gree" for locals, and "Cal-guh-ree" for the rest of the country. I often hear Americans say it as "Cal-gare-ee", like the name "Gary".

Toronto: Canadians often drop the second T ("Tor-on-oh"), and many of us shorten it to "Tron-oh" when we're speaking quickly (though Torontonians will usually just go with the "Tron-oh" pronunciation, or even replace the first T with a subtle "Ch" sound).

Quebec: Proper pronunciation is kind of like "Ka-bek", though many Anglophone Canadians call it either "Kwuh-bek" or "Cue-bek". "Kweh-bek" is what I usually hear from Americans.

Edit: Speaking of fucked up pronunciations, anyone know where the bizarre pronunciation of "Newfoundland" came from?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:39:34 am by The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist »

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7224 on: April 27, 2014, 12:15:12 pm »
NewfundLAND is how I've heard it pronounced, but I can't remember if that was by a Newfie, or another Canadian. If the emphasis really is on the last syllable, as pronounced by locals, indicates the name has not really changed pronunciation since the onset. "The New Found Land", or "New Found Land" is pretty archaic sounding, but it has really only been a few centuries since it's naming.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7225 on: April 27, 2014, 07:06:26 pm »
^^ Usually the first D gets omitted, but I do hear the odd person (rarely a Newfie) use the "Newfundland" pronunciation (with the first D being quite subtle, when used by Canadians). "New-fun-LAND" or "New-fin-LAND" are more common.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #7226 on: April 27, 2014, 07:58:17 pm »
I have to to go in to uni at 1:30 to do a stupid 5 min thing but i also have to be there for an hour
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7227 on: April 27, 2014, 08:08:09 pm »
Our Uverse receiver is down. Internet and TV are dead until the tech can get here Tuesday morning.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #7228 on: April 28, 2014, 09:37:36 am »
My laptop keeps going to sleep for no apparent reason.  It only seems to happen when I have multiple tabs open on Chrome.  Virus/malware scans have found nothing, but it has also been running very slowly lately.  If this dies, I cannot replace it, and will be computerless.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #7229 on: April 28, 2014, 01:22:16 pm »
Toronto: Canadians often drop the second T ("Tor-on-oh"), and many of us shorten it to "Tron-oh" when we're speaking quickly (though Torontonians will usually just go with the "Tron-oh" pronunciation, or even replace the first T with a subtle "Ch" sound).

The superiority evident in these posts must be somewhat blunted by the fact that Canadians use batshit pronounciations for everything.

I'll stick to "Kwuh Beck", the way God intended. At least "Tor-on-toe" is phonetic; I feel bad for the kid in the spelling bee that has to spell "Chrono".
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.