Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2074097 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7710 on: August 05, 2014, 11:48:30 am »
Poeple who rant about poeple who rant about stuff online.

I mean, fack em.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7711 on: August 05, 2014, 11:51:29 am »
Being sick.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7712 on: August 05, 2014, 01:10:32 pm »
i just spent weeks trying to find a job based on my personnal experience and diplomas. i got my job interview yesterday and passed it with flying colors. the kicker? i could have bullshit my way through everything since the boss didn't even want my résumé.  a friend of mine talked to the boss, said something akin to "guizonde's a good guy, he knows his stuff, and remember, you owe me a favor. i'm calling it for him now."

yeah... i'm annoyed that i got employed not based on merit but due to connections. cronyism at its finest. this stupid "crisis" is ticking me off to no end. what's the point of doing 7 years worth of college if you can't even get a job from it?

(to be clear, my new job is gonna be a cakewalk, and the boss seems like an awesome guy. i'm just annoyed about my lack of merit getting the job)
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7713 on: August 05, 2014, 02:52:34 pm »
Gift horse.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7714 on: August 05, 2014, 07:55:49 pm »
Gift horse.

GIVE ME MY MERIT DAMMIT!!!

(but yeah, totally psyched)
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7715 on: August 05, 2014, 11:04:19 pm »
Gift horse.

GIVE ME MY MERIT DAMMIT!!!

(but yeah, totally psyched)

Ey, think of it as a chance to earn merit.  After all, the best way to get good at doing something is to actually do the thing in question.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7716 on: August 06, 2014, 03:30:05 am »
I'm ticcing like crazy right now, and I don't know what's caused my Tourrette's to flare up.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #7717 on: August 07, 2014, 01:19:19 pm »
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Let me start with the fact that I find this to be so simplistic that it is meaningless.  Political arguments that fit on a bumper sticker usually shouldn't be taken too seriously.  People say it, and they feel like they have been deep and profound, when they haven't really said anything at all.

But the bigger thing is that, if you put any thought whatsoever into it, it quickly becomes apparent that this is an argument FOR welfare, not against it.  It posits two options, one of which is a direct program, like food stamps, which feeds people directly.  The second, better, option describes an educational social program, which is also welfare.  In this proverb, doing nothing (the libertarian choice) isn't even an option.

We can also tack on that the two choices aren't mutually exclusive.  It's pretty hard to learn how to fish when you are starving to death, so I would suggest that it might be most effective to first give a man a fish, and then teach him how to catch more.  Of course, if he doesn't have a net, this might still be a problem, so we might need another welfare program to help with that.

In conclusion, if we were to apply this proverb to real life, the idea that the left wants to give a man a fish and the right wants to teach a man to fish is patently ridiculous.  The left advocates giving fish and teaching people how to get more.  The right advocates telling people to fish, regardless of how possible that is for them.  I suggest that instead the right adopt, "the best way to teach someone to swim is to throw them into a lake," as their new meaninglessly simple argument.  At least it somewhat accurately represents their position.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7718 on: August 07, 2014, 01:50:40 pm »
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Let me start with the fact that I find this to be so simplistic that it is meaningless.  Political arguments that fit on a bumper sticker usually shouldn't be taken too seriously.  People say it, and they feel like they have been deep and profound, when they haven't really said anything at all.

But the bigger thing is that, if you put any thought whatsoever into it, it quickly becomes apparent that this is an argument FOR welfare, not against it.  It posits two options, one of which is a direct program, like food stamps, which feeds people directly.  The second, better, option describes an educational social program, which is also welfare.  In this proverb, doing nothing (the libertarian choice) isn't even an option.

We can also tack on that the two choices aren't mutually exclusive.  It's pretty hard to learn how to fish when you are starving to death, so I would suggest that it might be most effective to first give a man a fish, and then teach him how to catch more.  Of course, if he doesn't have a net, this might still be a problem, so we might need another welfare program to help with that.

In conclusion, if we were to apply this proverb to real life, the idea that the left wants to give a man a fish and the right wants to teach a man to fish is patently ridiculous.  The left advocates giving fish and teaching people how to get more.  The right advocates telling people to fish, regardless of how possible that is for them.  I suggest that instead the right adopt, "the best way to teach someone to swim is to throw them into a lake," as their new meaninglessly simple argument.  At least it somewhat accurately represents their position.
Well, according to some of my friends who work for the welfare system, the Democrats want to keep the poor in a permanent state of dependence, while the Republicans just want to cut them off.  Then again, maybe it depends.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7719 on: August 07, 2014, 02:35:59 pm »

But the bigger thing is that, if you put any thought whatsoever into it, it quickly becomes apparent that this is an argument FOR welfare, not against it.

I've never heard that phrase used as an argument for or against welfare.  The only place I've heard it was in an old TV ad that used to run in the UK for a third-world type charity that was basicaly saying that actually trying to change things for these people was far better than just showing up every few months with a truck full of food and then fucking off again.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7720 on: August 07, 2014, 02:43:57 pm »
Some jackass parked too close to my car and scratched the paint.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #7721 on: August 07, 2014, 03:17:12 pm »
Some fucktard parked his car weird, resulting me having to park way too close for comfort. I may have scratched his paint, but I wasn't sure.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #7722 on: August 07, 2014, 03:23:39 pm »
It annoys me when people park their cars in their parking space very unequally that makes you have to do the same so you can get out of your car after you park.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7723 on: August 07, 2014, 04:27:03 pm »
The last three posts gave me the weirdest boner.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7724 on: August 07, 2014, 04:51:31 pm »
"Live within your means, and fit within your seams"

This was posted on a billboard.  Which is next to a memorial.  In other words, it's on government property.

The other side also says "Expect the best from god, present the best for god" or something like that.

It gets all kinds of religiosity and republican propaganda on it.

Really very offensive.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet