Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2076214 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7860 on: August 26, 2014, 10:27:21 pm »
I just found out what Boku no Pico is.

Welp, I know why all the pages regarding it on TV Tropes were nuked now.

(click to show/hide)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7861 on: August 27, 2014, 01:02:36 am »
I laugh at you so so hard.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7862 on: August 27, 2014, 01:31:21 am »
That would also explain why every single time when someone on 4chan asks what is the source for ANY random anime image they do not recognise is half the answers are "Boku no pico."

HA HA, this moron does not recognise (insert random obscure anime series) I shall direct him to shotacon series instead. That will show him.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #7863 on: August 27, 2014, 02:45:39 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdjv_afHmV4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdjv_afHmV4</a>
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7864 on: August 27, 2014, 09:55:19 am »
there's a particular problem, similar to Y2K, that might actually cause problems: the Year 2038 problem.  Basically, unless 64-bit architectures become ubiquitous before 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038, the time on many machines will roll over to midnight UTC on 1 January 1970, because of the way machines store and increment the time.

That's only an issue with 32-bit machines that count seconds using UNIX time. The counter would theoretically overflow to the 13th of December 1901 in a naive implementation, but memory has gotten far more abundant since the 70s and if you're willing to store the year, date, etc. as several numbers and implement new time and date functions (which is harder to debug than it seems), a 32-bit machine could theoretically keep time for billions of years.

There may not be any 32-bit desktops around by 2038 but embedded systems would still benefit.

Unfortunately, every hardware architecture of which I'm aware stores and manipulates time in the old-school UNIX fashion.  If memory serves, everything eventually comes back to hardware time despite whether or not they use local machine time or sync it from an external source.

Given how far hardware has come in the last decade, I think we'll see 64-bit UNIX time as a standard before the Year 2038 problem comes anywhere near to being a potential issue.  Hell, we'll probably be running on 256-bit CPUs, by that point.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7865 on: August 28, 2014, 08:07:10 am »
Storms. It wasn't enough for the bastard to turn the yard into a fucking swamp, it also had to fry the router. Kind of my own fault for leaving it plugged in, but still very very annoying all the same.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7866 on: August 28, 2014, 01:23:03 pm »
You don't have a surge protector?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #7867 on: August 28, 2014, 01:47:19 pm »
Sliced into my finger this morning while making breakfast.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7868 on: August 29, 2014, 01:22:11 am »
Nope. I should probably consider getting one.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7869 on: August 29, 2014, 01:26:25 am »

They're cheap and pretty much always useful so you should probably get more than one.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7870 on: August 29, 2014, 02:55:16 am »

I recommend an uninterruptible power supply. They serve as both surge protectors and battery backups so that if there's a power failure, you can turn off your equipment rather than have it shut off suddenly.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7871 on: August 29, 2014, 10:18:12 am »

They're cheap and pretty much always useful so you should probably get more than one.

I spent 50€ more than necessary on my comp's power supply to have one that has a surge protector built in. Saved my computer prehaps more than 6 times in 3 years. Totally worth it. Then again, it's a tower, and I don't know if it exists for laptops.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #7872 on: August 29, 2014, 02:20:29 pm »
Surge protectors for ethernet lines are still pricey. It may not be an issue with wireless devices, but my house has several long runs of Cat5 cable and a close bolt of lightning fried the network adapter on my laptop a few years ago.

Granted, it's not too expensive for one cable, but it adds up with multiple runs.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #7873 on: August 29, 2014, 07:53:31 pm »
My mom randomly choosing to switch to AT&T, resulting in a confusing, hellish selection of channels, all of my routine channels changed and On Demand is finnicky and useless most of the time. It requires changing to a specific channel to get audio, and I do not know where any of my channels are.

There are more than a thousand of them now, and numerous duplicates.

I hate AT&T, I hate the fat, repugnant turd that she called out here to help her change the TV, and I wish he would've drowned on his way here.

I remain convinced she did this all out of a mixture between stupidity and malice. She just likes randomly changing things around here, and expecting everyone to nod and play along. Well, when the bastard comes back over, I intend to make his stay here for the work very uncomfortable. All the horror will be in his head.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7874 on: August 29, 2014, 08:03:03 pm »
I've never seen so much melodramatic angst directed at a cable guy who by the sound of things was just doing his job.